Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random-ish Shuffle June 27, 2022

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Pick your favorite of these 15 tracks played on shuffle (videos below)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [41.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [16.67%]
4 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random-ish Shuffle June 27, 2022
    Posted: June 27 2022 at 10:14
I have 2,067 tracks in my Clementine music player on my computer. I put it on shuffle and added the first 15 tracks (excluding duplicates from artists, as well as segues/interludes). Why so many songs released within the last five years were chosen, idk. Hence the "ish" in random.

Choose your favorite. Although I think I know who's going to win, or at least the top two or three.

Videos below, I added a star next to the artists on the archives, and a clap next the ones either suggested or recently added:

Star

Star

Star

Star

Star

Star

Clap

Star

Clap

Star

Edited by bardberic - June 27 2022 at 10:33
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 10:22
Wow, I’m not sure what to choose at the moment.

Probably one of the following three (in the order they appear in your poll):

Boris, Myrkur or Muse

🤷🏻‍♂️

Lots of good stuff in there, though!

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 10:26
Renaissance
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 10:41
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Wow, I’m not sure what to choose at the moment.

Probably one of the following three (in the order they appear in your poll):

Boris, Myrkur or Muse

🤷🏻‍♂️

Lots of good stuff in there, though!

Boris or Symphony X for me, I need to think on this, too. If it were any other SX song, than Boris for sure. This just so happens to be my favorite SX song, too in quite possibly the most influential album of my life lmao

Edit: I went with Boris

Edited by bardberic - June 27 2022 at 10:53
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 10:58
Symphony X - A Fool's Paradise
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 13:32
I'm going to surprise some here and vote for Muse.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 13:43
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm going to surprise some here and vote for Muse.
Doesn’t surprise me! But maybe that’s because, from the selection offered, Muse were one of the top contenders for my vote, and you and I often have fairly similar tastes.

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 13:51
An easy pick for me: The Song of Scheherezade has been on my top 20 list of prog tracks for years. Its a classic!  Followed closely by Moonchild.

...But I did listen to some of the other tracks, most of which I hadn't heard. I think King Gizzard and Joe Jackson are the best. That Muse vid is kinda cool, (I guess) but waaay too cheesy.  The Neurosis sounds depressing, but is probably better in context.

Anyway, cool that you posted the vids, but the number of choices here is almost overwhelming.  When I started doing Random Shuffle! polls (I guess its been almost three years ago), I started with higher numbers of choices, but i found that most people don't have the patience to go through and listen to all the stuff they haven't heard--thus started presenting shorter lists of choices over time, until now my current model of 4 choices.  Not saying that's necessary, and of course you can do whatever you want. I like the fact that you and others have started doing similar date-stamped shuffle polls, but 15 seems a bit much to me.
Z
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 14:30
My library actually has 2104 tracks.

I wasn't happy with the way the shuffle turned out here, as it seemed quite biased towards my more recently played music. In fact I used the program's "50 random tracks" feature to see what I get in my playlist, five times. Every time I got 4-6 Orphaned Land tracks, and 3-4 King Gizzard ATLW tracks. I only have 85 (4% of my library) and 63 (1.5% of my library) songs from them, respectively. So in a a random sample of 50 songs, chosen out of a population of 2104, Orphaned Land and KGATLW should have shown up 2 and 1-2 times, respectively, on average. This is obviously not the case, and shows severe bias in the system's random selection (other artists showed up too frequently as well). Other outliers included, but are not limited to:
*A song from Renaissance's Scheherazade And Other Stories appeared 3 out the 5 trials (album has 4 songs)
*Scardust's Sands of Time (full 27:30 minute track) appeared in two trials
*Yes's Long Distance Runaround appeared in three trials
*Yes appeared in four trials at least twice, and in one trial only once
*Silent Island appeared twice in every trial + the above
*A song from Black Hill and HeklaA's Rivers and Shores appeared once in four trials
*Myrkur (from whom I have 12 tracks) appeared in three trials + the above
Every artist above has fewer than 30 tracks on my computer

I decided to program a random number generator, connected to my computer's music library folder that assigns a number to each song I own to select the song itself, rather than the biased program from Clementine.

These results appear to be actually random, as some music I haven't touched in over five years showed up:
*Melvins - Hung Bunny
*John Denver - Rocky Mountain High
*Lör - Relic
*Lil Dicky - The Antagonist II
*Earth - Torn By The Fox of The Crescent Moon
*Kingdom Hearts Orchestra - Wave of Darkness
*Scardust - Sands of Time (full 27:30 minute song) [I do not know why this one keeps showing up. Strange, but it's an incredible song; you should check it out, if you haven't yet!]
*Orphaned Land with Yehuda Poliker - Halon Layam Hatihon (Live Tel Aviv 2011)
*Manowar - The Crown and the Ring (Lament of the Kings)/*Nightwish - Song For Myself [Coding error, maybe, as they appeared together]
*The Fray - How to Save a Life
*Rush - La Villa Strangiato
*Metallica - Phantom Lord
*Simon and Garfunkel - Sound of Silence
*Queen - Funny How Love Is

I have bolded the artists on the PA

Edited by bardberic - June 27 2022 at 15:49
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 15:20
KC
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 15:28
KC
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 15:36
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

An easy pick for me: The Song of Scheherezade has been on my top 20 list of prog tracks for years. Its a classic!  Followed closely by Moonchild.

...But I did listen to some of the other tracks, most of which I hadn't heard. I think King Gizzard and Joe Jackson are the best. That Muse vid is kinda cool, (I guess) but waaay too cheesy.  The Neurosis sounds depressing, but is probably better in context.

Anyway, cool that you posted the vids, but the number of choices here is almost overwhelming.  When I started doing Random Shuffle! polls (I guess its been almost three years ago), I started with higher numbers of choices, but i found that most people don't have the patience to go through and listen to all the stuff they haven't heard--thus started presenting shorter lists of choices over time, until now my current model of 4 choices.  Not saying that's necessary, and of course you can do whatever you want. I like the fact that you and others have started doing similar date-stamped shuffle polls, but 15 seems a bit much to me.

I was afraid Moonchild was going to dominate the chart. Thankfully Renaissance appeared to balance it out lol I mean , let's be realy, Moonchild is one of King Crimson's most boring songs, after the first two minutes - there's so much better music that appeared here. But it is King Crimson, after all, so of course it'll dominate the poll. At least the Renaissance song is worth winning the poll.

Regarding Muse, I'm not sure whether I should ever take them seriously or not. Supposedly they're entirely sincere, and they don't tend joke around, from what I've heard, and they use over the top imagery to express their beliefs (such as the song above).

Regarding Neurosis. They are the textbook example of an "album band" - that is, Neurosis doesn't usually sound good when listening to one or two songs. Their albums almost always exceed 60 minutes, and are defined by building up, on a track-by-track basis rather than within each song, and then cooling down at the same slow rate, if that makes sense. For example, the song posted here was the build-up to the penultimate song, and the climax, of the album and serves as an interlude. Basically it was the cool-down from the intensity preceding it and the build-up to the climax of the album, before album cooled down again and closed. Through Silver in Blood, at the time of its release in 1996, was quite possibly the heaviest and darkest album to ever achieve commercial success, and it still holds up today. Over the past 26 years though, their sound has become more calm in exchange for ramping up the melancholy - they may be the most melancholic commercially successful band in the world, and their later sound definitely mirrors Strengths of Fates. By itself, this song doesn't do much, but in the context of the album, as a whole, as you pointed out, it's incredible. After all the chaos that preceded it, and upon hearing all chaos that succeeded it, it serves as a great segue-way into the end of the album.

Why there are so many songs? I did the shuffle a first time before I yielded these results, but the first eight or so were mega-popular bands, and the other seven were short enough to listen to. I re-rolled with the same number. lol I don't actually think my "shuffle mode" on my computer is completely random (I made a comment about this), so I'm going to try again tomorrow, but with six artists. I think that would be a good number.

How do you shuffle, by the way?

Edited by bardberic - June 27 2022 at 16:20
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 17:07
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

Why there are so many songs? I did the shuffle a first time before I yielded these results, but the first eight or so were mega-popular bands, and the other seven were short enough to listen to. I re-rolled with the same number. lol I don't actually think my "shuffle mode" on my computer is completely random (I made a comment about this), so I'm going to try again tomorrow, but with six artists. I think that would be a good number.

Ok, so I hope I'm understanding your method correctly. Are you picking artists/albums (like from a certain playlist) then shuffling only those artists/albums? Or are you shuffling your entire collection (whatever that may be). 

The latter is the method I use, (typically on Windows Media Player). Nearly my entire digital music collection on my laptop shows up in my WM library, so I shuffle the whole thing (now about 14000 tracks) and pick the 4 that come to the top of the shuffle list.  On rare occasions I will dis-include a track for one reason or another--(usually its either its way too well-known, or way too obscure so I can't find a Youtube vid for it).  I include other genres besides Prog, but since my collection is roughly 2/3 prog or prog-related, I usually have mostly prog tracks show up in the list (appropriate for this site/forum).

Six tracks sounds good: I did 5 for most of the time I've been posting these polls.
Z
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 18:55

Ok, so I hope I'm understanding your method correctly. Are you picking artists/albums (like from a certain playlist) then shuffling only those artists/albums? Or are you shuffling your entire collection (whatever that may be). 

The latter is the method I use, (typically on Windows Media Player). Nearly my entire digital music collection on my laptop shows up in my WM library, so I shuffle the whole thing (now about 14000 tracks) and pick the 4 that come to the top of the shuffle list.  On rare occasions I will dis-include a track for one reason or another--(usually its either its way too well-known, or way too obscure so I can't find a Youtube vid for it).  I include other genres besides Prog, but since my collection is roughly 2/3 prog or prog-related, I usually have mostly prog tracks show up in the list (appropriate for this site/forum).

Six tracks sounds good: I did 5 for most of the time I've been posting these polls.
Yes it's my whole collection. And I'm going to re-roll on some tracks - just the ones I know will dominate the poll when matched up with the rest of my collection, eg. King Crimson, Yes, Black Sabbath, as well as segues and interludes; nowadays there is a Youtube video for even the most obscure music, but in the rare case I cannot find a video, I'll reluctantly re-roll. I use Clementine player, an open source similar alternative to VLC that allows for more customization options than the latter. Frankly, I wouldn't trust WMP to have unbiased RNG, either, as my iPhone also over-represents a lot of artists. I think I'll just use my Python code which has given me the closest thing to true random results lol

Edited by bardberic - June 27 2022 at 20:12
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 20:06
Renaissance. Fantastic piece of music.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 21:13

Yes it's my whole collection. And I'm going to re-roll on some tracks - just the ones I know will dominate the poll when matched up with the rest of my collection, eg. King Crimson, Yes, Black Sabbath, as well as segues and interludes; nowadays there is a Youtube video for even the most obscure music, but in the rare case I cannot find a video, I'll reluctantly re-roll. I use Clementine player, an open source similar alternative to VLC that allows for more customization options than the latter. Frankly, I wouldn't trust WMP to have unbiased RNG, either, as my iPhone also over-represents a lot of artists. I think I'll just use my Python code which has given me the closest thing to true random results lol
[/QUOTE]

When you say "re-roll", makes it sound like you're in a role-playing gameSmile.

Yes, I've also found most obscure tracks on youtube (which is great) but there are exceptions, like (for example) I have several songs that are from friends and/or local artists who have very little or no material posted online, and nobody on PA would be remotely familiar with them anyway.  Regarding WMP: it used to seem biased and over-represent certain artists or keep repeating certain popular tracks, but within the last year, that problem seems to have gone away--not sure why. Perhaps Microsoft did some kind of upgrade.
Z
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 05:48
Renaissance gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 09:02

When you say "re-roll", makes it sound like you're in a role-playing gameSmile.

Yes,
I've also found most obscure tracks on youtube (which is great) but there
are exceptions, like (for example) I have several songs that are from
friends and/or local artists who have very little or no material posted online,
and nobody on PA would be remotely familiar with them anyway.  Regarding WMP: it used to seem biased and over-represent certain artists or keep repeating certain popular tracks,
but within the last year, that problem seems to have gone away--not sure
why. Perhaps Microsoft did some kind of upgrade.

I don't like how I have to register to use WMP; anyway, the only offline
software I use is open source... for privacy reasons. Especially when
it comes to Microsoft, who I wouldn't trust with my data for a minute.
Unfortunately for work, I need a Windows, otherwise I'd have gone Linux
back in 2016 when Windows 10 came out with Cortana and forced updates.

Also, I'm also going to do four songs from now on, for various reasons.

Edited by bardberic - June 28 2022 at 09:47
 Post Reply Post Reply