Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 25 albums I know from the 10's rateyourmusic chart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

25 albums I know from the 10's rateyourmusic chart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: f you appreciate any of these, vote for as many or few as you like.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [18.18%]
1 [1.82%]
5 [9.09%]
5 [9.09%]
4 [7.27%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
4 [7.27%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.09%]
4 [7.27%]
1 [1.82%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.45%]
2 [3.64%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.82%]
3 [5.45%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 25 albums I know from the 10's rateyourmusic chart
    Posted: June 28 2022 at 17:49
Much like with the 90s poll that I did, these are 25 albums that I know and appreciate from the rateyourmusic top 200 chart for 2010-2019. The numbers in the list below represent the albums' RYM chart positions. There are some other fine albums in the top 200 of RYM that I should know better (some I have heard much of like Fleet Foxes and Fiona Apple and sun kil moon....) I decided not to avoid multiple albums by any acts this time. Some of my particular favourites not on the list are multiple Kosmischer Läufer albums, Anna von Hausswolff's Miraculous and The Ceremony, Vanishing Twin's Age of Immunology, Klaus Morlock's Penumbra and Betheny's Cradle, Elephant9 with Reine Fiske's Silver Mountain, Bent Knee's Shiny Eyed Babies, and I very much like Swan's leaving meaning.. Feel free to vote for as many or as few that you appreciate from this list and mention any others that you might see and enjoy in the chart: https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2010s/

David Bowie - Blackstar (7)
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (8)
Swans - To Be Kind (10)
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool (14)
Swans - The Seer (15)
Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me (17)
Mid-Air Thief - 무너지기 (Crumbling) (37)
King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity (41)
Swans - The Glowing Man (48)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Key (56)
Bruno Pernadas - Those Who Throw Objects at the Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them (60)
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic (81)
black midi - Schlagenheim (89)
Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness (90)
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest (104)
Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die (106)
Tame Impala - Lonerism (107)
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fu*king Rockwell! (109)
The National - High Violet (113)
Lingua Ignota - Caligula (125)
Xiu Xiu - Plays the Music of Twin Peaks (127)
Julia Holter - Aviary (167)
Julia Holter - Loud City Song (168)
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana (174)
Mid-Air Thief - Gongjoong Doduk (189)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 19:13
Swans - To Be Kind
Swans - The Seer
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
black midi - Schlagenhelm
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 01:45
I'm really digging that 'rym art rock style'. Didn't listen to a lot but here's some of my favorits from the ones you mentioned:

David Bowie - Blackstar
Mid Air Theif - Crumblimg
Black Midi - Schlagenhim 
& Everything by King Gizz obviously.

(I need to listen to Swans)

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 02:02
If only one album per artist is allowed:

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool (14)
Swans - The Glowing Man (48)
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic (81)
David Bowie - Blackstar (7)
Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die (106)
Mid-Air Thief - Gongjoong Doduk (189)
King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity (41)
black midi - Schlagenheim (89)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 11:39
^ People are free to vote as they will, but I like to think of ways to limit my votes commonly if I like a lot.

I would say that I am more into kinds of art rock, art folk and art pop than Prog proper or modern trad. prog so I like RYM's style, which has been described as hipster before. Quite suave I think. :) Looking at the top 200 list for all genres for the decade at RYM and comparing it to the Progarchives one for all subgenres (minus prog related) there is more that has really interested me, and that I want to check out, or check more out from in the RYM list than at PA. Swands which became one of my major favourites not that long ago (better late than never) isn't even represented in PA's top 200 all prog cagtegories list, more surprisingly I would think, neither is Radiohead. That's one of my favourite Radiohead albums.

Here are some albums I have liked and the ranking in the PA 10's decade list. PA's top Prog albums for the 2010s chart (click)

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity (14)
Guillaume Perret & The Electric Epic - s/t (21)
Far Corner - Risk (26)
Bent Knee - Shiny Eyed Babies (30)
North Sea Radio Orchestra - I a Moon (63)
Magma - Félicité Thösz (77)
Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel (90)
Art Zoyd - Eyecatcher (147)
Univers Zero - Clivages (166)
Le Silo -Yamai (171)
Electric Orange - Volume 10 (186)

As for some of my particular faves from the poll in no definitive order:

Swans - The Glowing Man
David Bowie - Blackstar
Swans - To be Kind
Lingua Ignota - Caligula (shew was an excellent discovery)
Julia Holter - Aviary
Bruno Pernadas - Those Who Throw Objects at the Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness
Xiu Xiu - Plays the Music of Twin Peaks
Mid-Air Thief - Gongjoong Doduk
King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
black midi - Schlagenheim

I could happily continue and mention all of them (not voting though since I'm interested to see the votes of others, not my own, even if there is little response).
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 13:39
I voted for Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana :)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 14:14
I decided to stick to albums with zero votes yet. So I voted Carrie & Lowell, The Glowing Man, and All Bitches Die. I love what I know of Joanna Newsom but haven't heard this album yet.

Blackstar and the other two Swans are top albums, and some more are excellent anyway.

Edited by Lewian - June 29 2022 at 14:16
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 15:01
The ones that I especially like are David Bowie's Blackstar, Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool, Anna von Hausswolff's Dead Magic and Julia Holter's Aviary.
And me too, I need to listen more to Swans...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 16:27
Oof. Not a great decade.

The only one I would consider giving more than 3 stars to is The Seer (and that would be 3.5 at the most). 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 16:41
^ I don’t know how many of these albums you have heard, they may just not be for you, and of course these choices of mine from the top 200 general music charts at RYM show my tastes, but every decade that I have tried to deeply explore has shown itself to be a great decade per my varied tastes. To each his or her own tastes, of course.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 17:23
Bowie : Blackstar ( the title track is simply sublime)
Radiohead : A Moon Shaped Pool
Tame Impala : Lonerism
the ones I have from your list
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 00:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I don’t know how many of these albums you have heard, they may just not be for you, and of course these choices of mine from the top 200 general music charts at RYM show my tastes, but every decade that I have tried to deeply explore has shown itself to be a great decade per my varied tastes. To each his or her own tastes, of course.

The mainstream charts has probably never been filled with more disposable crap, but I think the 10's and the (roaring) 20's has been a wonderful time to discover new music. Moreso than the 00's and the 90's. There's mixtures of jazz, world, folk, soul, hip-hop, electronic, noise... uh this classical darkwave-thing that has largely taken over for me as to where the excitement lies.

(and I enjoy most of the albums in this poll. Love about a dozen)

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 04:16
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Bowie : Blackstar ( the title track is simply sublime)....

Agree! That has been a real highlight of the decade and more for me, and the album as whole I consider to be a masterpiece of a swansong -- can be very poignant. Those who would find that album to be less than worthy of at least three stars (I've come across a few at PA) is coming from a very different place than me. The album really resonates with me.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^ I don’t know how many of these albums you have
heard, they may just not be for you, and of course these choices of
mine from the top 200 general music charts at RYM show my tastes, but
every decade that I have tried to deeply explore has shown itself to be a
great decade per my varied tastes. To each his or her own tastes, of
course.

The mainstream charts has probably never been filled with more disposable crap, but I think the 10's and the (roaring) 20's has been a wonderful time to discover new music. Moreso than the 00's and the 90's. There's mixtures of jazz, world, folk, soul, hip-hop, electronic, noise... uh this classical darkwave-thing that has largely taken over for me as to where the excitement lies.

(and I enjoy most of the albums in this poll. Love about a dozen)

Indeed. My list could actually be much more varied, of course, since there is a lot of excellent diverse music and cross-pollination of styles. Speaking of hip hop, Death Grips is one that I have appreciated. As for darkwave generally, that is something I've been into (and related music) and often where it overlaps with NeoFolk and gothic music. Loved your Lingua Ignota recommendation. I'm very into Anna von Hausswolff these days and from earlier days Dead Can Dance. Chelsea Wolfe is another I have enjoyed.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 13:19

Oh sorry. I misinterpreted this poll. I thoght this was the overall top 25, not a selection. 

And yes. I'm not great with dates, but I know there are various excellent albums littered through the 10s. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 18:55
No problem. I just went down the all-genres rateyoyurmusic chart starting from the top ranked album for the 2010s ( CLICK for chart ) and listed each album I came to sequentially that I had heard in full, remembered reasonably well, and had appreciated hearing until I had filled out 25 options. Were I to go on with the chart, then I would find many other albums that I have liked. I am interested in what people are into, including modern music outside of PA and the kinds of albums that don't get a lot of attention at PA from that many.   And I am always hoping to discover some new-to-me albums that seem to fit my tastes. Maybe some others would like to look at the chart and see what is there that has interested them or just list ones they remember from the period that are not in my list, both in and out of PA. Here, again, is the PA all-prog subgenres chart for comparison and reference: CLICK
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 20:47
Only ones I could honestly vote for are the 3 Swans albums and Lingua Ignota- . Pretty familiar with Xiu Xiu but not of that album. Same with black midi. Somewhat familiar with Blackstar but not sure if I like it yet. Heard of many more of those artists but usually only a song here & there.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 30 2022 at 20:48
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 10:50
^ I discovered that Xiu Xiu album from the rateyourmusic charts a few years ago, as it was very high ranked for 2016. I was obsessed with the show Twin Peaks at the time, the reviews intrigued me, and I had looked to find music to consider outside of PA to compare and contrast with David Bowie's Blackstar and Radioheads's A Moon Shaped Pool (both also from 2016) for a possible poll -- serendipitous I thought. I loved these takes on music from Twin Peaks. It was the first album I had heard from Xiu Xiu, and I think getting into that played a big part in the huge Swans appreciation I now have as there are sonic similarities.

An early fave of mine from the album (yeah, I can like it noisy).

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 11:24
Hausswolff and Bowie.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 16:16
[QUOTE=Logan]No problem. I just went down the all-genres rateyoyurmusic chart starting from the top ranked album for the 2010s ( CLICK for chart ) and listed each album I came to sequentially that I had heard in full, remembered reasonably well, and had appreciated hearing until I had filled out 25 options. Were I to go on with the chart, then I would find many other albums that I have liked. I am interested in what people are into, including modern music outside of PA and the kinds of albums that don't get a lot of attention at PA from that many.   And I am always hoping to discover some new-to-me albums that seem to fit my tastes. Maybe some others would like to look at the chart and see what is there that has interested them or just list ones they remember from the period that are not in my list, both in and out of PA. Here, again, is the PA all-prog subgenres chart for comparison and reference: CLICK
[/QUnOTE]

To show that I do like something heres a handful of my favorite non PA albums from various points in the 10s:

Paal Nilssen-Love – New Japanese Noise 
Graham Costello – Strata
Pull – Trigger 
Anthony Braxton – Quartet (New Haven 2014) 
Miles Ozakski – The Sky Below 
Cattle Decapitation – Death Atlas 
Zack Clarke Trio – Vertical Shores 
Sun Of Goldfinger – S/t
Weasel Walter – Lacerate
Wayne Shorter – Emanon
Kali – Riot
Brom – Sunstroke
Innertextures – Eleven
Lucas Niggli – Alchemia Garden
Bobby Privette - Mass
Dan Weiss - Fourteen, Sixteen
Ergo - If Not Inertia
Peter Evans - Destination: Void
Supersilent - 12
Pharaoh & The Underground - Spiral Mercury
Rob Maruzak - Ascension Suite
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 20:15
^ Thanks for the list. I would have expected a jazz heavy one from you. While I know music by various of these artists/acts, I haven't heard any of those albums (at least not in full). While Wayne Shorter is in PA, indeed the album is not.

A few favourites of mine not in the poll and not in PA are:

Niechęć - Niechęć

Vanishing Twin - The Age of Immunology
Melody's Echo Chamber - st
The Soundcarriers - Celeste

And for a group recently added to PA (lives though so wouldn't be on the list even if it was doing well in the charts at RYM), I really like Ciśnienie for JazzArt Underground and Brass Album.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>