4 [12.12%]
5 [15.15%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Member of Gentle Giant?
    Posted: June 29 2022 at 17:39
Pick one member.

So in tandem with my multi-thread Gentle Giant song poll, I decided to also do a smaller poll discussing who your favorite member is.

I like Derek Shulman because he has a cool voice and can play other instruments when a song needs another layer(him playing saxophones on In A Glass House title track and on Just the Same). However, I wonder why he does not usually play instruments, since most of the times he just sings.

I like Ray a bit, Phil did carry the winds pretty well before his departure, but the band seemed to release their classics without him(probably him being there was the reason for Octopus being the most popular album by them). Martin Smith did his job, but played quite mediocre solos(One of the best songs by them Nothing at All was a bit held back by it), and Malcolm Mortimore only played on one album. John Weathers seems to be a special drummer and also to me, he looks like a giant. I like Gary Green’s guitar playing too and really like his duets with Ray. Kerry has a warm voice and can also play keyboards great as well. He also can play the most instruments out the rest of the band.

Who is your favorite member of Gentle Giant?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 17:49
Derek 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 18:51
Ray. Brilliant bass work.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 19:06
Gary Green but maybe I'm biased since I met him a few times in person. Regardless, he's still a very underrated guitarist.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 29 2022 at 19:06
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 19:08
Kerry!!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 19:24
I was completely transfixed by Ray's technical skill as well as the endless grins and his facial distortions during the Octopus tour. They were actually HUGE in Montreal and Quebec City , playing in large venues in both cities . 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 20:33
The one who plays bass. I think he's brilliant.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 22:22
Kerry Minnear's talents and humility wow me to this day!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 23:42
Oh man Phil Shulman for sure. When he left the band a good chunk of what I find so "magical" about Gentle Giant, left with him. The rich atmosphere and use of space, the warmth and lighthearted playfulness, the memorable tunes... I liked his singing voice and there's no clarinet, trumpet or mellophone to be heard after he was gone, is there? This doesn't mean I think the qualities I treasure were totally gone, but there's certainly less of it. Maybe they were changing with or without him I don't know. But post-Octopus has a colder, more sterile sound, and their compostions has less of a natural flow and feel to them - imo.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 00:31
Either Kerry or Gary, though I'm not that much ad hominem. Voted for Gary Green, a very underrated guitarist indeed.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 00:36
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Oh man Phil Shulman for sure. When he left the band a good chunk of what I find so "magical" about Gentle Giant, left with him. The rich atmosphere and use of space, the warmth and lighthearted playfulness, the memorable tunes... I liked his singing voice and there's no clarinet, trumpet or mellophone to be heard after he was gone, is there? This doesn't mean I think the qualities I treasure were totally gone, but there's certainly less of it. Maybe they were changing with or without him I don't know. But post-Octopus has a colder, more sterile sound, and their compostions has less of a natural flow and feel to them - imo.

This. All this. My favourite three GG albums are the debut, Acquiring the Taste, and Octopus. That doesn’t mean I don’t like what comes after (and there are at least two post-Octopus albums I like more than Three Friends), but once Phil left, the band lost a lot of their magic. And magic is the right word, and I’m glad you used it (or, at least, the word magical).

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 05:16
Ray - Brilliant musician and great character
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 05:44
Gary Green
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 05:47
All are great people. I voted for Derek Shulman, since I met him once, but I really don't have a favorite.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 08:59
Minnear - great keyboards and interesting vocals that mix things up a little. Just huge in my book.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 09:01
Kerry
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 11:20
Kerry Minnear. I always loved his Style. He's one of my favourite keyboardists. Besides, the keyboards are my favourite musical instruments too.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 11:48
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Ray - Brilliant musician and great character

This
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 11:52
Gentle Giant
This guy! Never did catch his name.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 20:20
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

This. All this. My favourite three GG albums are the debut, Acquiring the Taste, and Octopus. That doesn’t mean I don’t like what comes after (and there are at least two post-Octopus albums I like more than Three Friends), but once Phil left, the band lost a lot of their magic. And magic is the right word, and I’m glad you used it (or, at least, the word magical).

I wouldn't be able to say which member is my favourite, but I too think after he left they lost something really important. The firs album I got from them was Playing the Fool, to get a taste of their music up to that point, and I almost gave up on them, since I didn't find much to like on it, except for Strange Ways. Then somehow I decided to give them another try and got their first albums... by far my favourites are their first two, and after he is gone I can barely stand anything from them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>