0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [10.71%]
2 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Literary Characters in Prog - A Poll
    Posted: June 30 2022 at 04:18
My previous theme was "sunset", and this one begins with a "sunrise".

So...

I hope you'll have fun.

But, please don't "Rush". WinkEvil Smile

Edit: As Rick1 said (and then BaldJean elaborated): "The 'Gong' track first appeared on Daevid Allen's solo album, 'Banana Moon'."

Here come the videos:

Edited by Archisorcerus - June 30 2022 at 13:27
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 04:39
Nice idea. I'd have picked Gong from those I knew already, but going quickly through those I didn't know (admittedly giving some of them only a few seconds) I think that the Arabesque and Alice's Mirror  tracks are very enjoyable, and Rasputina even better.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 05:03
Rush.

The Psychedelic Ensemble album "Mother's Rhymes" has several songs of literary characters.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - June 30 2022 at 05:07
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 05:12
The 'Gong' track first appeared on Daevid Allen's solo album, 'Banana Moon'.  Love it - gets my vote!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 05:48
PFM.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 07:01
A modern-day warrior . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 09:04
Difficult not to pick Rush. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 09:35
"Stoned Innocent Frankenstein" and "... and his Adventures in the Land of Flip)" is originally from the Daevid Allen solo album "Banana Moon". there is no real pause between these two tracks

Edited by BaldJean - June 30 2022 at 09:54

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 13:25
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

The 'Gong' track first appeared on Daevid Allen's solo album, 'Banana Moon'

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Stoned Innocent Frankenstein" and "... and his Adventures in the Land of Flip)" is originally from the Daevid Allen solo album "Banana Moon". there is no real pause between these two tracks

Thank you both for this. I'll edit my post accordingly, but not change the option. I'll just give the info you provided.

BTW, Jeanine. I considered adding a "Dorothy" option too (as I remember it is one of your daughters' name); yet, while I saw prog songs with that name, I couldn't be sure if they are about the Dorothy of The Wizard of Oz. Moonlight Comedy have an album entitled Dorothy (and about "that" Dorothy), in fact; but none of its song titles mentions that name.

Edited by Archisorcerus - June 30 2022 at 13:42
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 13:38
how about "Biggles" alias "James Bigglesworth", a fictional pilot and adventurer and title character and hero of the "Biggles" series of adventure books, written for young readers by W. E. Johns? he is named in "Thick as a Brick" (as are "Superman" and "Robin")

Edited by BaldJean - June 30 2022 at 13:39

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 13:39

how about "Biggles" alias "James Bigglesworth", a fictional pilot and adventurer and title character and hero of the Biggles series of adventure books, written for young readers by W. E. Johns? he is named in "Thick as a Brick" (as are "Superman" and "Robin")

Outside the scope of my knowledge, unfortunately. Embarrassed
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 13:47
there are of course countless songs that mention "Alice"; there are even whole albums about her. one of the lesser known ones is this:

Sophia Domancich is a brilliant keyboarder and member of the Canterbury scene. she was the wife of the late Pip Pyle

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 13:50
^ I included one "character" per option.

Edit: Huckleberry has a friend there though. LOL

Edited by Archisorcerus - June 30 2022 at 13:51
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 14:04
gonG
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 14:10
how about "Badabec", "Pantagruel" and "Panurge"? all 3 appear in "Gargantua and Pantagruel" by François Rabelais. "Badabec" (Gargantua's wife) and "Pantagruel" are mentioned in "Pantagruel's Nativity" (a song that is sung by Gargantua), "Pantagruel" and "Panurge" appear in "The Advent of Panurge". both are songs by Gentle Giant

Edited by BaldJean - June 30 2022 at 14:11

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 14:10
Definitely a vote for Tom Sawyer from me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 14:30

how about "Badabec", "Pantagruel" and "Panurge"? all 3 appear in "Gargantua and Pantagruel" by François Rabelais. "Badabec" (Gargantua's wife) and "Pantagruel" are mentioned in "Pantagruel's Nativity" (a song that is sung by Gargantua), "Pantagruel" and "Panurge" appear in "The Advent of Panurge". both are songs by Gentle Giant

Sure. There could have been put 25 options (I didn't prefer that), or even even 250 options (if technically possible) there.

Edited by Archisorcerus - June 30 2022 at 14:30
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 12:44
RUSH
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 12:51
Renaissance - Scheherazade
 Post Reply Post Reply