Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KINGS X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxsmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 15:07
It like a f**king zoo in here.  The animals were let loose.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 15:08
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by maxsmusic maxsmusic wrote:

ART is truth and God is light.  That is all you really need to know and all that there is.

You may not understand your life, you may even be confused.  Listen to KINGS X and you may be happier in a few minutes.

You very much sound like a zealot, here.

But if you want my opinion: there is no truth and god is a lure.
So, there you have it. Ermm
And I don't even want to know anymore what Kings X is about.

@suitkees - ignore the baiting comments, try out the band on your own, see if you like them. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 15:09

So you are trolling, good to know now. Ouch
maxsmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxsmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 15:11
You don't even understand the definition of art so I can't have a reasonable discussion with you.  This has gone south. I'm out.

Edited by maxsmusic - July 05 2022 at 04:05
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 15:21

You don't even understand the definition of art so I can't have a reasonable discussion with you.  This has gone into territory you don't want to go into.  If you want to debate me, go right ahead as I can take your head off and it will be easy.

I do not understand your hostility here. 
What is it that troubles you with this thread? Confused
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 15:21
^^ If you would be a little bit less religious about supporting a band, then maybe we could have a decent discussion, but for now this seems impossible to me, because for you Kings X is IT. Grow up or continue to stick your head in the sand of religious devotion.

Edited by suitkees - July 03 2022 at 15:22

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 15:22
I had this double-cd King's X album: Tales From The Empire: Cleveland 6.26.92

I listened to it more than a dozen times and quite enjoyed it. But never gotten further into the band, TBH. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 16:00
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You may not understand your life, you may even be confused.  Listen to KINGS X and you may be happier in a few minutes.

Again, most people posting here love King's X, I don't honestly know what is your problem here?  Confused
Some people here (myself included) have listen to albums the King's X musicians have been a part of. 
Happiness does not depend King's X. I like them and "Flies and Blue Skies" is one of the most emotional vocal performance ever, but it does not make me happier.

For once, I agree with you Cristi.
Cheers
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 16:05

You don't even understand the definition of art so I can't have a reasonable discussion with you.  This has gone into territory you don't want to go into.  If you want to debate me, go right ahead as I can take your head off and it will be easy.

Come on, dude. There's no need for this. The thread will get locked.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 16:37
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

well they're no Planet X
Er, okay? Planet X and King's X are poles apart. Are we going to compare Pink Floyd and Return to Forever next?

Yes.   Yes, we are. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 17:37

Only one it looks like
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2022 at 17:40

LIFE IS A QUESTION ABOUT LIFE. If you understand that you may not be so confused. Good Luck.

I understand that some people should just not post when they are on drugs.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 01:09
I know there is some enthusiasm for this band but what I heard so far didn't do much for me I must say. Hard rock was never my thing though and the total reason I got interested in prog as a kid. Guitar based stuff generally bores me very quickly.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 07:07
Jerry Gaskill has some great solo material as well

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 07:28
Kings X is a band I always knew about, but never listened to because I associated them with Christian rock/metal. They were in the same box as Stryper, in that they may well have some good music to their name, but I wouldn’t know, simply because I never gave them a chance, due to their association with Christian rock/metal.

I suspect that there a probably a lot of people who have never listened to the band for the same reason, simply because those bands who are overtly Christian (or perceived to be so) aren’t an attractive proposition for atheist ears.

I outgrew that aversion to overtly Christian music with For Love Not Lisa (whose “Merge” album remains one of my favourite albums of all time). If the music is great, why should I not listen to it, just because I don’t believe in God, and the band does? It is kind of crazy to deprive myself of music for such a superficial reason.

I later learnt that not only do Kings X reject the Christian rock/metal label, but that they were major influences for some of the bands I loved most in my teens (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc.), and that they were also one of the major influences prog metal scene I was beginning to explore.

I do think they are hampered by the Christian reputation, regardless of whether or not they reject the label. (After all, Creed also rejected the label, and attempted to argue that they were not a Christian rock/metal band, and that is a fairly flimsy claim.) This whole clusterf&£* of a forum thread does little to help bring the band to new ears, who might already be reluctant, due to the association with Christian rock/metal.

As Kees has pointed out, if you want to talk about the band, and recommend people check them out, referring to the big sky Daddy isn’t going to be the attraction you think it is. That may well work for you, and you may well have the holy trinity of Kings X, Happiness, and God. But, as others have already pointed out, a lot of us are quite happy without God in our lives. And you leave the impression that we will be just as happy without Kings X in our lives.

So for anyone who has bothered to read all I’ve just written, and is still on the fence over whether to listen to Kings X, I would say to go ahead and do so. If you like heavy prog bands, such as Rush, or earlier prog metal bands such as Queensryche or DT, you may well find something to like.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 07:40

King's X was never a Christian rock band.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/king-s-x-guitarist-we-are-absolutely-not-a-christian-rock-band

https://www.billboard.com/culture/pride/dug-pinnick-lgbtq-hard-rock-metal-7842062/

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - July 04 2022 at 07:44
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 08:08
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

King's X was never a Christian rock band.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/king-s-x-guitarist-we-are-absolutely-not-a-christian-rock-band

https://www.billboard.com/culture/pride/dug-pinnick-lgbtq-hard-rock-metal-7842062/

I never said they were. That is missing the point entirely. It is irrelevant whether or not they were or were not Christian rock/metal, if that is perceived. It is irrelevant whether or not they have denied being Christian rock/metal, if that is perceived. They continue to be thought of by many as Christian rock/metal.

Also, they pretty much were Christian rock/metal in all but name, to begin with. It’s not the most reliable source, but it’s certainly convenient:
Originally posted by Wikipedia Wikipedia wrote:

All three members of King's X came from a background in Christianity and Christian rock (and, in Pinnick's case, church gospel singing) and have frequently been associated with the genre. This assumption has been reinforced by the Christian associations of the band's name, by the fact that King's X signed to Christian labels early in their career, and because the Faith Hope Love CD insert contained an entire chapter of the BibleHowever, the band have persistently resisted being identified or pigeonholed as a Christian rock or Christian metal band.

While many of their early lyrics have a clear spiritual influence, this came from the individual faith of the members rather than an explicit attempt to tap into the contemporary Christian music market in the way groups such as Petra did.However, the band has also admitted in interviews that their former manager, Sam Taylor manufactured or embellished a Christian image in an effort to appeal to a crossover audience.

Initially, many King's X albums were marketed through Christian book stores, but most of these stores refused to sell them following Pinnick's 1998 announcement of his homosexuality. Even at the time, the band welcomed this development as an opportunity to get away from the Christian rock "stigma".

A former Protestant, Pinnick has since openly discussed his agnosticism and his belief that Jesus Christ was not truly the Son of God. Gaskill has also disassociated himself from Christianity. During interviews in the early 2000s, Tabor continued to identify as a Christian, but referred to the Christian music industry as "vile".

In an interview in late 2021, Pinnick stated "For some reason, King’s X [was considered] a Christian band. Maybe because that was our faith at the time; none of us are any more."

Edited by nick_h_nz - July 04 2022 at 08:10
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 08:22
They aren't a christian band per se but they do espouse christian values.

Personally i don't care about lyrics. God, satan, the oneness. Music is what matters.

Kings X is hit and miss. I love many of their album's but they certainly have never been a top tier band either.

I love their albums from Out of the Silent Planet to Dogman but then the quality started to wane.

I think the reason they never caught on is because they are inconsistent and the pop oriented hooks are too commercial for some while the grungy pseudo-prog aspects are too experimental for others.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 08:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

@suitkees - ignore the baiting comments, try out the band on your own, see if you like them. Smile

Since you're getting to know my musical preferences a bit by now (although they're very eclectic and maybe confusing...), what album would you recommend me to start with?

And, BTW, this might be an interesting quote for the OP (from the interview Grumpy linked to):
Originally posted by Ty Tabor Ty Tabor wrote:

One of the things we believe in is not imposing our beliefs on someone else.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 10:24

I have an ample supply of poop bags.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>