Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KINGS X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 10:50
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by maxsmusic maxsmusic wrote:

It like a f**king zoo in here.  The animals were let loose.

I have an ample supply of poop bags.

You're full of sh*t, man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 10:54
Let's get back on topic, or just shut the thread down. 
Easy choice. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 11:21
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by maxsmusic maxsmusic wrote:

It like a f**king zoo in here.  The animals were let loose.

I have an ample supply of poop bags.

You're full of sh*t, man.

I have 120 bags ready. Is that not enough?

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 11:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Let's get back on topic, or just shut the thread down. 
Easy choice. 

I was the one that did that on the previous page, actually. 2 posts after your "off-topic" post.

afkhakjfhaksjhf
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 11:53
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I later learnt that not only do Kings X reject the Christian rock/metal label, but that they were major influences for some of the bands I loved most in my teens (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc.), and that they were also one of the major influences prog metal scene I was beginning to explore.

I do think they are hampered by the Christian reputation, regardless of whether or not they reject the label.

King's X aren't hampered by it, because there was no "reputation" of the sort to begin with. They were associated with it because of their background, but they've never toured on the Christian rock circuit with the likes of Petra, Skillet or Flyleaf (a band that has enjoyed considerable success in both Christian and mainstream, and whose members are openly Christian).

King's X inability to break out is pretty obvious: They missed that window. First, they parted ways with their manager, Sam Taylor. The sound of the next album, Dogman, reflected somewhat of a shift from the sound they cultivated on their first four excellent albums. That can make or break a band. While Atlantic pushed them harder than before (and they got to open for Scorpions and Pearl Jam), Dogman didn't sell as well as Atlantic hoped and didn't give them the same promotional oomph for the subsequent album Ear Candy (which sounds more like the first four). Then the band moved to Metal Blade.

Basically, King's X maintains a modest but very devoted following (just like many prog bands, I reckon).

Let's not forget Rick Wakeman is Christian and has performed in many churches.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 12:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I later learnt that not only do Kings X reject the Christian rock/metal label, but that they were major influences for some of the bands I loved most in my teens (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc.), and that they were also one of the major influences prog metal scene I was beginning to explore.

I do think they are hampered by the Christian reputation, regardless of whether or not they reject the label.

King's X aren't hampered by it, because there was no "reputation" of the sort to begin with. They were associated with it because of their background, but they've never toured on the Christian rock circuit with the likes of Petra, Skillet or Flyleaf (a band that has enjoyed considerable success in both Christian and mainstream, and whose members are openly Christian).

King's X inability to break out is pretty obvious: They missed that window. First, they parted ways with their manager, Sam Taylor. The sound of the next album, Dogman, reflected somewhat of a shift from the sound they cultivated on their first four excellent albums. That can make or break a band. While Atlantic pushed them harder than before (and they got to open for Scorpions and Pearl Jam), Dogman didn't sell as well as Atlantic hoped and didn't give them the same promotional oomph for the subsequent album Ear Candy (which sounds more like the first four). Then the band moved to Metal Blade.

Basically, King's X maintains a modest but very devoted following (just like many prog bands, I reckon).

They may not have had that reputation for you, but I have already told you that they had that association for many (and I’m not sure what your distinction is between reputation and association, anyway). It may be different depending on geographic locale, or perhaps by age of listener - but certainly everyone I knew at school thought Kings X were a Christian rock/metal band. The only person I knew at school who listened to them, and who tried to get me to listen to them, was Christian and listened almost exclusively to Christian music. Other people I have met on the internet have assumed they were Christian when I’ve brought them up. In fact, almost every time the reason someone has given me a reason for knowing of the band but never listening to them, is because they thought they were a Christian rock/metal band.

I’m not saying that is a bad or a good thing. I’m not saying I care about that. I did, when I was a prejudiced teen who knew no better, but that was a looooong time ago. But for many, it is a step too far, and there are plenty of people who stay away from music they perceive (rightly or wrongly) as Christian. Kings X have that reputation (even if not by you), and I am sure that it is a reason they missed the window. It may not be the only reason, but it is definitely a reason.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 12:18

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

They may not have had that reputation for you, but I have already told you that they had that association for many (and I’m not sure what your distinction is between reputation and association, anyway). It may be different depending on geographic locale, or perhaps by age of listener - but certainly everyone I knew at school thought Kings X were a Christian rock/metal band. The only person I knew at school who listened to them, and who tried to get me to listen to them, was Christian and listened almost exclusively to Christian music. Other people I have met on the internet have assumed they were Christian when I’ve brought them up. In fact, almost every time the reason someone has given me a reason for knowing of the band but never listening to them, is because they thought they were a Christian rock/metal band.

I’m not saying that is a bad or a good thing. I’m not saying I care about that. I did, when I was a prejudiced teen who knew no better, but that was a looooong time ago. But for many, it is a step too far, and there are plenty of people who stay away from music they perceive (rightly or wrongly) as Christian. Kings X have that reputation (even if not by you), and I am sure that it is a reason they missed the window. It may not be the only reason, but it is definitely a reason.

All I can add is that one of my best friends, who was Jewish, was the one who gave me the tape of Gretchen, back when MTV was airing the video for "Over My Head." I did read the lyrics and there's a discernibly spiritual bent to them but nothing so preachy that they'd turn off the average rock enthusiast. I'm sure the open endorsement by Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament (in Rolling Stone, if I remember correctly) helped move some people to check them out, and so did their opening slot on tours with some big bands.

I think King's X was just ahead of their time. Their unique blend of rock, soul, blues and Gospel didn't fare well with as many grunge listeners as Atlantic hoped, and grunge was the flavor of the week at the time. Like Rush, King's X earned the respect of musicians, by the droves, but it didn't carry over into the general fandom as with Rush a decade earlier.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 16:22
I feel like you’re still misunderstanding me. I have never suggested they are preachy at all. As soon as I actually listened to them, I realised they are not at all. Any even if they were, so what? Plenty of people like Neal Morse. But it is largely irrelevant whether or not they are preachy, if that is their reputation. And, unfortunately for them, that is definitely what it was - at least among those I knew, where I lived.

It doesn’t matter what the lyrics actually are, if people think something else, and don’t even listen to find out they are wrong. So, no, as spiritual as the lyrics are, they wouldn’t turn off the average rock enthusiast - but that enthusiast still has to hear them first…

Again, one of my all time favourite albums is For Love Not Lisa’s “Merge”. They were openly a Christian band, and their lyrics are more overtly Christian than anything I’ve heard from Kings X. I don’t care if someone is Christian or not, or whether they sing about Jesus or not. But I did when I was (a lot) younger. And I know a lot of people never get past that mind-set. So any association with Christian rock/metal (and they definitely had that at their beginning, no matter how much they might have drifted subsequently) is a handicap to mainstream acceptance, for the still considerable population who still make a distinction between rock/metal and Christian rock/metal. That distinction might be a stupid one to make, and I think it is (now), but it doesn’t stop it from existing (or from me once making it myself).

They missed their window, before it even came to them. Sucks, but they are hardly the only talented band that never received the recognition, accolades, and rewards that they probably deserved. And, when it comes down to it, they are still well known enough that we can argue about them in this forum. So many other bands are likely just as talented, and none of us have ever (and possibly will ever) get to hear (of) them.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 16:48

I feel like you’re still misunderstanding me.

Believe me (lol), I'm not. That one remark was just that, one I made during the course of our discussion.

I know what you're saying. I just don't think that's why they didn't become huge. They got a lot of exposure, more than before, with Dogman, and I highly doubt many of the concertgoers at those dates thought "the 'Christian rock' band just came out, let's get beers." If anything, they were largely unfamiliar with King's X's oeuvre. For whatever reason(s), they didn't take, and I think one factor is their change in sound on Dogman. They no doubt played a lot of it during those opening sets, and I think that album is more of an acquired taste than the "got you by the short and curlies" effect that its predecessors all had (on me, at least).

That's why it's important to remain consistent. Instead of getting Brendan O'Brien to produce them, they should have self-produced or gotten someone else.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 20:18
Another pretty big King's X fan here.  I heard a live performance from them on local radio way back in the early 90's.  Can't remember much about it, but it was the first time that I heard Over My Head and it blew me away.  My favorite album from them is their self-titled 4th album.  I personally think that you can't go wrong with any of their 1st six albums, and I like them all plus their solo outputs.  

A couple of other side projects that I don't think were mentioned are Poundhound and Pinnick Gales Pridgen.  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 16:47
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

A couple of other side projects that I don't think were mentioned are Poundhound and Pinnick Gales Pridgen.

Re: Poundhound: If we didn't mention it, I'm glad you did!

Along with KXM, I think PGP is one of the more impressive KX offshoots. Excellent playin' & groovin' all around by those guys. It's unfortunate that the follow-up PGP II tends to cost a few more shekels. I'm not sure if it's a smaller pressing or what.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 18:03
Another side project I liked was Tres Mts. with Dug, Jeff Ament, and Richard Stuverud.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 18:10
NP: Jerry Gaskill, Love & Scars
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 18:12
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 16:06
Wow, another thread that went kind of bitchy….🙄

King’s X are a fantastic band. Their first 4 albums are incredible! I was late teens and went to eee them at The Marquee and The Astoria in London every time they came over at that time. They were an astounding live band😎I lost track somewhat (as I did with “decent” music generally!) when I went to uni. In the last few years I’ve had a ticket to see them in Cardiff 3 times, but each time the gig has been cancelled…including the latest (scheduled for September) which was cancelled just a couple of days ago. Ty Tabor is seriously ill, not sure what it is, but I wish him all the best. Gutted they’re not coming, I’d really got back into them again and am looking forward to the new album (it’s been 15 years!!!)

There is no doubt a massive amount of spirituality in a lot of their music, which is no surprise with their backgrounds, but they have always claimed to be questioning faith and religion rather than following it. I’m reading their autobiography right now, which is great and explains a lot!

For anyone who doesn’t know them, get those first 4 albums….and enjoy!!!😎
IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 18:32
I'll make this my first post under this user name because I am a HUGE fan of King's X.

Love the new single and I'm excited about the new album.

I have been a fan since 1988 (the start of my senior year in high school), 'Out Of The Silent Planet', bought every album, seen them live 8 times (rookie numbers), and follow them more closely than any other band I love.

As a band, they never wanted to be, or asked to be, included in the "Christian Rock" circuit. They've always just been honest about who they were in a given moment. They were included against their will because of their lyrics and because the Christian audience loves to find lyrical content they can relate to and "claim" a band as one of their own. U2, Trouble, King's X Collective Soul and others have fallen prey to this.

Anyway, I hope Ty makes a full recovery from his current illness and King's X is around for years to come!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 13:08
Originally posted by IncogNeato IncogNeato wrote:

Anyway, I hope Ty makes a full recovery from his current illness and King's X is around for years to come!

Word. And for those who haven't noticed, Am***n currently offers Ty's new CD Shades for a mere $9.79! Grab one before they change the price. (The same goes for KXM's third CD, Circle of Dolls.)
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 15:34
I haven’t listened to any of the solo offerings or other projects, seems like there are quite a few to choose from!……
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 16:00
Been revisiting these guys a lot lately, and their stuff still holds up extremely well. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska would probably be among my favorite albums of that era Smile

Also, some of their later work is really underrated. I was surprised at much I enjoyed Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous in particular, especially the lovely ballad She's Gone Away
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2022 at 05:35
Honestly, the closest King's X ever got to a "bad" album was 'Black Like Sunday'. It had a couple of OK moments, but being that it was comprised entirely of re-recorded material dating back to their pre-King's X years, it's not essential listening.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>