Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you think "progressive rock" meant?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paganinio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you think "progressive rock" meant?
    Posted: July 04 2022 at 15:24
What did you think "progressive rock" meant, when you first saw or heard of the term?

At this point in your life you probably never listened to any prog rock music yet. Even if you did listen to it (massive hits such as Comfortably Numb), you're unlikely to notice or identify the genre. Technically you can't identify the genre because you don't know about the term "progressive rock" yet.

So, at this point of your life, what did you think "progressive rock" refer to?  What kind of music did you think it was?

For me, the answer was really really laughable.  I thought it meant "rock music with a marching, pounding rhythm". For example an acoustic guitar track would not be progressive rock, but a song with a "boom boom boom" drum sound would be the typical progressive rock. LOL Completely wrong, obviously.

There's also the possible confusion with progressive house: Progressive House is so called as it is slow initially but builds up the tempo later on.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 15:35
Nothing, really.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 15:59
Hi,

I think one of my reasons for not taking "progressive music" as seriously as I should, is NOT AN ISSUE with the music at all ... it is the an issue with fans that don't like music (in general) and can only listen to their favorites (in general), and then think that "porkessive music" is great, but "neo-pork" is much better, and should have much better representation by folks.

Essentially, I was there listening to the stuff from 1965 on, and my collection is a show of originality and creativity, and not just a favorite band ... although yeah ... I do have a heck of a lot of TD, KS, Gong and their family and so on, but all in all ... the worst part is the description of the music by non-musicians, that think they can write/create better music with a DAW than anyone else! And with no mistakes, of course!

You either listen to MUSIC or you don't ... and if you think you will be married to a style the rest of your life, in the end, you will forget the whole thing and maybe remember one band, and think about that one date you had with some blonde  yesteryear! 

I was there BEFORE anyone even thought of it all as "progressive", though some things were thought to be "art rock" and some were given a lot of credit for some nifty variations on classical music ... the one thing that "progressive music" folks do not have, btw ... !!! Fandom alone, would condemn that disease!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 16:10
I don't remember what I thought it meant when I first heard the term. Honestly, I probably read the term first in a music mag back in the 70's. I am sure it was in the context of reading about Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd.....
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 17:35
I'm not sure. I just remember it being this term that meant rock music that was a bit weird and that you didn't really hear much on the radio. In more recent years it's become a bit of a buzzword though.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 17:36
Yes, Genesis, ELP and Pink Floyd, that was pretty much it for the first few years.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 19:36
Never heard the term until the 90's, yet was listening to Zappa, Kansas, National Health, in the 70's. Then, it was labeled rock.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 20:24
I was searching for a type of music I could identify with, and a Friend told me about a band named "Jethro Tull." He said it was considered to be progressive rock because it pushed the boundaries of rock, taking influences from many different genres. It sounded interesting and I gave it a try. I was hooked. After that, I searched for bands that would do the same, and I discovered King Crimson, Yes, ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 21:41
I wasn't familiar with the term "progressive rock" when I first started listening to what would be considered "progressive rock" in the fullness of time. When I did contemplate the classification initially I thought it was just a song that broke the 3 minute time barrier, and later I considered it to be a genre that contained elements of all other genres, particularly jazz and classical, and then I thought it was an interdimensional donkey walking backwards through a cloud of tapioca and then I just stopped thinking about it and enjoyed what I was listening to...or not.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - July 04 2022 at 21:43
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 22:21
OP: bands of serious musicians making what was to them serious music with little concern for AM radio play--using jazz and classical sales and marketing norms as their standards. They were taking advantage of a small window of time in which record labels were willing to back the unexpected run in popularity of "experimental music" and their sales (DSOTM, Fragile, Houses of the HolyCrime of the Century, etc.) And then came stadium filling concerts . . .

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2022 at 22:57
These were my introduction to "progressive music."  Back then, I never once heard the term used in the US.  It was called "art rock" or "theater rock" if anything.  Prog as a term is ever worse.  Peter Banks hated that word.

September 22, 1972:  Yes with The Eagles, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago

October 10, 1972 - Wild Turkey & Jethro Tull, Stadium

April 20, 1973 - Peter Frampton & King Crimson, Kinetic Playground

August 1973 - Flash & Wishbone Ash, Auditorium Theater

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 02:12
I heard it in the late 90s from a colleague. I told him the names of my favorite artists and he said, "so you like progressive only..."
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 02:58
To be honest, most of my school friends were into Yes, Genesis and ELP around 1973 but I don't remember what we called it. I'm really not sure when I first heard the term "progressive rock" but I'm pretty sure I always knew what it was once I'd heard it.

Edited by chopper - July 05 2022 at 07:01
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 05:52
I have no recollection of what I thought 47 years ago.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 07:09
I was listening to the music before it got labelled!! 

Then again, I'm rapidly approaching 70!!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 08:51
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Never heard the term until the 90's, yet was listening to Zappa, Kansas, National Health, in the 70's. Then, it was labeled rock.

I knew that kind of music as Art Rock and Jazz Rock until the mid-90's, once I realized some called it prog rock

Edited by Sean Trane - July 05 2022 at 08:52
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 09:10
we have this famous book from 1973; the term "progressive rock" is not used in it. the term "future rock" is used instead

Edited by BaldJean - July 05 2022 at 09:10

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 09:42
I thought it was a more forward-thinking type of rock, as opposed to metamorphic, igneous, and sedimentary.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 10:16
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I have no recollection of what I thought 4.7 hours ago! Big smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 10:22
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I have no recollection of what I thought 4.7 hours ago! Big smile
Yes, unfortunately, that's true too. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>