Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you think "progressive rock" meant?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 14:35
Very good question of a thread.

The first time i heard the word "progressive" as a pronoun for a music genre was "progressive metal", as i was a metal head first.   I thought it just meant that the songs would begin minimalisticlly, then gradually and slowley build up and build up to a big climatic ending, so i was totally mislead lol.

Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal is just one of those genres where you cant explain to someone with words what defines the genre and its traits,  you need to listen to a fair bit of it before you can grasp it.  One noticeable trait is that the songs are often long, lasting 7 mins or sometimes even 12 mins or 20 mins.   The commonly used synthesiser sounds and atomspherics are another giveaway trait.    

In the metal world, the same description and biography that can be used to define Progressive Metal could also be used to describe Avant Garde, but i would say what seperates those 2 genres from each other is their bases......Progressive Metal is Traditional Heavy Metal and Power Metal based, where as Avant Garde is Black Metal and or Thrash Metal based.

Progressive House (Leftfield, Faithless, York ect) ect is a totally different kettle of fish......the reason why electro genres have "progressive" as a prefix before them is simply because unlike radio friendly counterparts, they are usually long, have longish atmospheric intros and have longish breaks.
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 03:51
My recollection was that it described less a sound and more "any sort of rock music with an artistic or eclectic edge". Now obviously that's not true or The Ex and The Fall and Fugazi would be "progressive rock".

I did hear "prog" first and thought it was short for "progressive big band" as I was really into jazz at the time. Though now that I think about it, why is "prog" just "progressive rock"? There are loads of genres with the "progressive" prefix.

Love, DreamTechPlus. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234