1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
2 [33.33%]
2 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random Shuffle July 16, 2022
    Posted: July 15 2022 at 22:32
Another shuffle with universally fantastic choices imo ofc xD eh, the Alestorm is alright, I suppose

The Amaseffer blows the rest away, though like it's not even close for me. Earth would be a distant second.

Star Earth - Torn By The Fox of The Crescent Moon

Alestorm - Shipwrecked

The Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy, 1966; Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Capriccio Italien

Star Amaseffer - The Wooden Staff

Edited by bardberic - July 15 2022 at 22:35
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 07:07
Capriccio Italien.Excellent performance by the Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Eugene Ormandy.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 17:59
Haven't heard any of these except Tchiakovsky (which sort of brings me back to my classical phase years ago; just kind of seems passe/old).

So sampling the other tracks on a first listen, I think I like Alestorm the best (it jumps out-- my suspicion is that if I took more time I might choose another track).  Anyway, its something to add to my Folk-Metal playlist, which is currently needing more material.
Z
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 18:26
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Haven't heard any of these except Tchiakovsky (which sort of brings me back to my classical phase years ago; just kind of seems passe/old).

So sampling the other tracks on a first listen, I think I like Alestorm the best (it jumps out-- my suspicion is that if I took more time I might choose another track).  Anyway, its something to add to my Folk-Metal playlist, which is currently needing more material.

I'm shocked you have not heard of Alestorm yet, if you're trying to get into folk metal. They are amongst the largest names in folk metal. They are also considered to be kind of the bottom of the barrel when it comes to folk metal, in a similar manner to Korpiklaani -- in that they have completely worn out the novelty of playing serious pirate/swashbuckler metal and now just don't take themselves, nor anyone or anything seriously. People accused them of becoming sellouts for transforming from folk metal into party metal, so the band decided to double down and have essentially become a parody of themselves and basically just borderline troll their fans, so if you're into just effing around, Scottish pirate metal style, then kuddos to you! For example, with two of their more recent releases, the bonus content consisted entirely of the vocals being replaced with electronic dark barking... people literally paid for this. Nevertheless, supposedly their live shows are a banger, so I'd like to see them live lmao tbf, I do love their idaf attitude and will likely get an album soon. But folk metal they are? borderline.

These just about summarizes modern Alestorm (explicit language warning, of course):

Watch this entire one with subtitles... you can tank me later:

If you do want some more folk metal suggestions, feel free to message me or reply to this post :) I have delved deep into the folk metal genre and can make some great recommendations based off of your interests.

Edited by bardberic - July 16 2022 at 19:00
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 19:00
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

I'm shocked you have not heard of Alestorm yet, if you're trying to get into folk metal. They are amongst the largest names in folk metal. They are also considered to be kind of the bottom of the barrel when it comes to folk metal, in a similar manner to Korpiklaani -- in that they have completely worn out the novelty of playing serious pirate/swashbuckler metal and now just don't take themselves, nor anyone or anything seriously - they've essentially become a parody of themselves, so if you're into just effing around, Scottish pirate metal style, then kuddos to you! Nevertheless, supposedly their live shows are a banger, so I'd like to see them live lmao

These just about summarizes modern Alestorm (explicit language warning, of course):

If you do want some more folk metal suggestions, feel free to message me or reply to this post :) I have delved deep into the folk metal genre and can make some great recommendations based off of your interests.

Thanks, love to have some Folk Metal Suggestions!  You might think about just posting some of your favorite bands/albums/tracks in the discussion or List forum (or even a folk-metal poll).  

Anyway, I have heard of Alestorm, just not heard anything I can remember well. I'm not necessarily trying to get into Folk-metal per se, but I generally like the genre. Folk-metal is just one of dozens of 'unfinished' playlists I have for various styles/topics, and I typically don't just put them together for myself--most of them are for past or upcoming themed radio programs that I either did or plan to do, (at my local community station, though I'm not currently DJing, so anything i gather is to collect material for future programs, whenever I get back into it again).  A folk-metal program is one I'd thought of after thinking about how much I like Ayreon's "Day 16, Loser" (one of my favorite tracks by them).   

Z
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 19:06

I'm shocked you have not heard of Alestorm yet, if you're trying to get into folk metal. They are amongst the largest names in folk metal. They are also considered to be kind of the bottom of the barrel when it comes to folk metal, in a similar manner to Korpiklaani -- in that they have completely worn out the novelty of playing serious pirate/swashbuckler metal and now just don't take themselves, nor anyone or anything seriously - they've essentially become a parody of themselves, so if you're into just effing around, Scottish pirate metal style, then kuddos to you! Nevertheless, supposedly their live shows are a banger, so I'd like to see them live lmao

Thanks, love to have some Folk Metal Suggestions!  You might think about just posting some of your favorite bands/albums/tracks in the discussion or List forum (or even a folk-metal poll).  

Anyway, I have heard of Alestorm, just not heard anything I can remember well. I'm not necessarily trying to get into Folk-metal per se, but I generally like the genre. Folk-metal is just one of dozens of 'unfinished' playlists I have for various styles/topics, and I typically don't just put them together for myself--most of them are for past or upcoming themed radio programs that I either did or plan to do, (at my local community station, though I'm not currently DJing, so anything i gather is to collect material for future programs, whenever I get back into it again).  A folk-metal program is one I'd thought of after thinking about how much I like Ayreon's "Day 16, Loser" (one of my favorite tracks by them).   

What kind of folk do you need to finish the playlist? I can recommend Middle Eastern folk metal, Western/Spaghetti Western, Latin American, Asian, Medieval, Italian, etc.

I'll do a folk metal poll later. Should this go under prog polls or general polls?

Edited by bardberic - July 16 2022 at 19:18
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2022 at 07:59

What kind of folk do you need to finish the playlist? I can recommend Middle Eastern folk metal, Western/Spaghetti Western, Latin American, Asian, Medieval, Italian, etc.

I'll do a folk metal poll later. Should this go under prog polls or general polls?

In answer to both your questions: I would look to see which bands are included here on PA.  I'd be up for any ethnicity/style, but I tend to like proggier stuff, and seeing what bands are listed here could help decide in what section you should post a list and/or poll.
Z
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2022 at 16:08
Had not heard any of these tracks, but I voted for Earth. I like Amaseffer too...unfortunate that 14 years on they still haven't released even the second part of their trilogy. Alestorm is fine, but isn't something I would put on myself, and I don't really feel like listening to a 15 minute long classical piece right now, but skipping through it a bit it isn't my preferred type of orchestral music.

Just curious, but how are these tracks selected exactly?
 Post Reply Post Reply