Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Birth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Birth
    Posted: July 27 2022 at 10:58
Rising from the ashes of Astra, Birth has just released the debut album featuring 2 members from Astra. Birth-Born was released on July15th--Just wondering why it hasn't been added to database. Super Nektar Vibe. Hope they tour.
proggy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 10:59
Ugh--Wrong place for this. Can admin move it--Sorry
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 11:12
Moved to the I have a question for you forum.

It takes time for bands to get evaluated and added. Commonly there is a formal suggestion thread in Suggest New Bands which includes a bio, suggested Prog category etc. and then the team has to check out the music and vote, then add it. In this case there was a Suggestion topic made www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129364 (doesn't meet the standards) but it was alreasdy under evaluation.

So it just can take some time as we have voluntary teams that listen and vote with other things going on in their lives.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 13:26
Quite enjoy this release, certainly fits in the prog realm, at least to my ear.  Which subset?  Not quite sure, leave that to the experts.  But good to bring it to their attention.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 14:53
Just ordered the vinyl lp- loved Astra and luckily caught them live in UK when they were last here. This lp has a nice mellow early Barclay James Harvest meets late 60's Floyd vibe.. nothing ground breaking perhaps but i just really like it.

CUVEE View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUVEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 19:50
I bought the album from Bandcamp and copy to CD-R. The album review in Shindig! Issue 129 was intro to this album. Also in magazine Wax Machine - Hermit's Grove,  that is Perfect Gentle Summer music and balm for the soulBig smile

Edited by CUVEE - July 27 2022 at 19:53
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 03:12
They're already on the PSIKE chart and almost approved. I heard the album yesterday, it went straight to my AOTY list Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 11:27
I liked Astra quite a bit....and this has much of that style and approach , but I'm disappointed in the recording  as it sounds dull and muddy at times and the vocals are not that good and somewhat buried in the mix.
I would recommend Astra before this lp to those new to these players. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 14:16
An excerpt from their Bandcamp page:

The result has been a debut which combines a questing spirit with a dystopian take on the here and now. Musically, whilst traces can be discerned of the dark and magisterial King Crimson of ‘Red’ herein, as well as the yearning cadences of early Yes and the delirious contortions of Van Der Graaf Generator, a whole host of influences made their presence felt in these mournful cadences, joyful solo passages and kinetic freakouts, from '70s mainstays like Aphrodites Child, Premiata Formeria Marconi and Area to the primitive folk of Robbie Basho and the symphonic soundtrack work of Osanna.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 14:39
Between Astra and Birth, some of the musos went through this band (2014, I think)

https://psicomagiamusic.bandcamp.com/album/psicomagia

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
HeyItsJustJP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyItsJustJP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 18:29
Definitely on of my favorite releases so far this year!
 Post Reply Post Reply