Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?
    Posted: November 06 2023 at 04:40
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Are you saying, Richardh, that according to the PA rules, the Progressive Music Lounges are for all music?

If so, that is hilarious. Smile

No only those that are 'progressive'. I've never taken any notice about the rules because you simply can't type anything and then wonder if they are a progressive band or not. What I think is progressive is more important than what is offically 'progressive'. However as an example you can have something like 'progressive electronic dance' ie Tame Impala. I would never start a thread in the progressive forum but would reference him in a discussion if there was a linked subject. Music is only real because it comes from the artist. Of course we are not children and don't either need ultra strict rules or boundaries. Well hopefully!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2023 at 01:07
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Discussions like this come up on just about every message board at some point. Yes, you don't want to be a slave to the rules. It's better to keep the spirit of the rules in mind.

However, message boards do have categories. It's not just one big forum that acts as a catch all for everything so keeping each forum true to its focus is a good (and necessary, imo) thing. Otherwise, what's the purpose of having different forums for different topics?

Thumbs Up

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 22:41

The rules say, "discussions in "Prog Music Lounge" should only be about groups/music currently included in Prog Archives
or about progressive music in general.", and I can't interpret them otherwise than you can talk about artists included in PA, 
or about progressive music in general where you maybe just can mention some other artists from various genres.

Well, these site rules and guidelines are in a thread titled "Creating new threads in the forum". Therefore, one could argue that they only apply to the thread topic and the opening post, not to any subsequent replies in the thread.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 16:41
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ nos what do you mean by “format”? Genre categories?

Hi,

You know well what I mean, and such.

I only review a few things, not everything I listen to. I subscribe to the theory that it is nicer to not say anything, maybe a wee bittie joke, about something, but not a poor review. There is a lot of literature, paintings and music, that I am not enamored with, but I grant them the right to be there, and will not specifically say anything bad. As an example, in a school class I had to read "Our Lady of Flowers" and that is not something I like reading, but the descriptions and insane imagery makes the book amazing. I wouldn't review it if it were music, or painting, but seeing it, or hearing it, is another story. And a lot of rock music feels like that for me!

I do review a few things, but will not, EVER, be involved in "ratings" whatsoever, something that I find ridiculous and sometimes malicious as it is very obviously done by a few overzealous fans, and it is much less about the music itself than it is about the fans themselves. I find that, since the day that folks fought for a piece of the pig at Anaheim stadium the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in human idiocy and behavior ... which was a by-product of the commercialization of the product ... it brought out the wrong fans, that otherwise would not be there, and in my book, took the adventure and the beauty of a lot of music away from it.

I don't give a damn about ratings, or having to post them anywhere. I care about the music itself, and playing the commercial game is not something you are going to catch me on .. .EVER.

My reviews, often, are about a lot more than just a song ... and for me, all the ratings are about the song, and have nothing to do with the artist whatsoever, or the actual idea behind the music. The "ratings" do not speak for the music and the artist ... they speak for the fans, and what your stating is that the fans are more important than the artist ... and you might as well kill all the artists then, because they don't care about the music ... they just care about their favorite song!

Edited by moshkito - November 05 2023 at 16:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 09:58
^ nos what do you mean by “format”? Genre categories?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 09:32

The rules say, "discussions in "Prog Music Lounge" should only be about groups/music currently included in Prog Archives, or about progressive music in general.", and I can't interpret them otherwise than you can talk about artists included in PA, or about progressive music in general where you maybe just can mention some other artists from various genres.

Hi,

I think that PA, nowadays, takes this a bit easier than it did before. Heck, many of the bands that are listed in Andrea's thread, or DamoX's thread are NOT on PA, but while those threads are not exactly a "discussion" per se, they are helpful in making sure that the bands are noted in some way. 

I think that PA would hurt its own idea and process, if they "limited" things ... as "progressive" is about new things and breaking all the rules, not a "format" ... but we have to remember that a database is about "format" and its "organization", thus, it might not be surprising to see the comment about things having to be included, as a way to help float the database information.

Maybe today, 10/20 years later, that comment should probably be reworked, but I think it might create way too much work for Admins, and some will quit. AFAIK it's a volunteer thing, thus, adding more work to it than what is most valuable, might make it for too much work, although I think that adding a couple more folks to the grouping would help things better, and maybe the wording, including the definitions, could get a better description, than something which says ... FORMAT ... FORMAT ... FORMAT ... and is less about "progressive" than otherwise!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 07:53
Discussions like this come up on just about every message board at some point. Yes, you don't want to be a slave to the rules. It's better to keep the spirit of the rules in mind.

However, message boards do have categories. It's not just one big forum that acts as a catch all for everything so keeping each forum true to its focus is a good (and necessary, imo) thing. Otherwise, what's the purpose of having different forums for different topics?

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 07:17
I thought prog was all about breaking the rules, or at least bending them and reinterpreting them. I must be on the wrong forum. Still, after all these years, my soap screams random consonants at me.

EDIT: Wink (just in case my post is being taken out of context). It is an exact opposite reaction to what I perceive as a view for a very rigid approach to this forum's guidelines in prior posts and also a tie-in to our beloved genre's philosophy. People aren't machines and being this rigid is in my view unwelcoming to newcomers to the forum. Please don't take my post to imply that we shouldn't have any guidelines. 

Edited by progaardvark - November 06 2023 at 03:08
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 06:12
I probably read the rules once or twice when I joined but wouldn't have been able to recall them. While I have not started any topics on artists not on PA when the topic is favorite prog albums of the year, or about subgenres such as post rock.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 04:37

The rules say, "discussions in "Prog Music Lounge" should only be about groups/music currently included in Prog Archives
or about progressive music in general.", and I can't interpret them otherwise than you can talk about artists included in PA, 
or about progressive music in general where you maybe just can mention some other artists from various genres.

Edited by David_D - November 05 2023 at 15:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 04:02
Back when I was more active here, which was the time when the genre teams were formed, the rule was that the prog lounge is off-limits for discussions on bands which were considered for inclusion, but ultimately rejected. So I guess that you can talk about any band that is either included as prog or has not been rejected (yet). IF you think they’re prog.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - November 05 2023 at 04:03
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 03:19

Are you saying, Richardh, that according to the PA rules, the Progressive Music Lounges are for all music?

No, he's not saying that. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 03:18

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2023 at 00:54

^ The guidelines explicitly say that bands not included in PA cannot be discussed in the Prog Music Lounge. The "about progressive music in general" refers to discussions about prog genres and qualities of the music, not non-included bands.

This is hilarious to be honest because we all have such a solid understanding of the subject. NOT!

Music comes from artists and bands not from the air. How do you discuss any genre (prog or not) without referencing a band?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 09:21
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Yes, of course, we could ask our volunteer admins to guard every corner of these forums, equipped with their best Hitler moustache imitation, and shoot everyone who doesn't abide the law... Or we could attach more value to the spirit of the law.

Hi,

Somehow that wouldn't be very progressive, now, would it? 

So much for the music! Wink
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 09:08

Yeah, it's not nice being just a tool.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2023 at 06:00
Yes, of course, we could ask our volunteer admins to guard every corner of these forums, equipped with their best Hitler moustache imitation, and shoot everyone who doesn't abide the law... Or we could attach more value to the spirit of the law.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2023 at 05:01

^ The guidelines explicitly say that bands not included in PA cannot be discussed in the Prog Music Lounge. The "about progressive music in general" refers to discussions about prog genres and qualities of the music, not non-included bands.

That's what I thought. Thx for clarification!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2023 at 02:00
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 22:45
''or about progressive music in general''

It's a small 'p'. imo the guidelines don't stop anything being discussed about bands not in the archive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>