Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?
    Posted: August 03 2022 at 07:05

Do ProgArchives have plans for becoming an all-music site?

If that is the case, I think it would be best to discuss it with the members. 

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 07:09
Why should it? There are jazzmusicarchives and metal-archives. If M@x would like, he can create poparchives.com, raparchives.com technoarchives.com and so on.

Some classicalmusicarchives wouldn't be bad, anyway
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 08:00
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Do ProgArchives have plans for becoming an all-music site?

If that is the case, I think it would be best to discuss it with the members. 

When you say "all-music", do you mean "AllMusic" (ie a part of https://www.allmusic.com/)? And why do you think such plans might exist?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 08:38
No.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 09:34
Isn't there more than enough music for you here already? There's a lot more than just prog on ProgArchives, starting with Miles Davs' first album from 1945 for instance. Wink
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 09:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Isn't there more than enough music for you here already? There's a lot more than just prog on ProgArchives, starting with Miles Davs' first album from 1945 for instance. Wink

There surely is, Paul. Smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 09:58
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

When you say "all-music", do you mean "AllMusic" (ie a part of https://www.allmusic.com/)?

No, I don't mean that.

And why do you think such plans might exist?

That is on basis of a number of reasons, but not least that I've seen many cases where collaborators were unwilling to discuss and put focus on Prog/Prog term, and where they listed very obviously non-Prog bands in Prog threads, like they wanted to diminish the significance of Prog and confuse the Prog term, while increasing the significance of other kind of music.

I really don't understand the reasons for it, and the only reason I can think of is such plans - or not exactly "all-music" as I haven't been thinking of including Classical.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:00

When you say "all-music", do you mean "AllMusic" (ie a part of https://www.allmusic.com/)?

No, I don't mean that.

That is on basis of a number of reasons, but not least that I've seen many cases where collaborators were unwilling to discuss and put focus on Prog/Prog term, and where they listed very obviously non-Prog bands in Prog threads, like they wanted to diminish the significance of Prog and confuse the Prog term, while increasing the significance of other kind of music.

I really don't understand the reasons for it, and the only reason I can think of is such plans - or not exactly "all-music" as I haven't been thinking of including Classical.

You are adding two and two and coming up with seven. Nothing to see here.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:12
This site belongs to M@x, and that ultimately would be his call unless, say, he sells it and it becomes someone else's call. Collabs are all individuals, some even misplace topics by putting them in a Prog forum, some are more strict and careful than others in that way, but I have not seen a move to convince M@x to make this site an all music site like rateyourmusic or all music. As already said, M@x has sister music sites, and actually those are more functional and have better architecture than this one does, and this site can not be easily adapted. This site is primitive, doesn't even support https. I think if M@x wanted to make such a major change to this site then he would want to rebuild it from the ground up, but I think he's sooner build a new site with a new name, or adapt one of his other sites that may be technically better but less popular.

There have been a tonne of collabs over the years with their own ideas and ways of doing things. Some have said that we should get rid of labels altogether. Some team members at some times have been more embracing of questionably Prog additions, and I have wanted to expand our notion of Prog at times, but we are a site of disparate individuals with disparate ideas and ways of doing things. I don't see an advantage to M@x by making a site called progarchives.com into an all-music.com type site even if he decides to build such a site. I would like to be part of that venture if he does.

Edited by Logan - August 03 2022 at 10:16
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:29
Man, I hope not. I like my prog undiluted.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:29
I've been waiting for M@X to start up ProgPolkaArchives ........Let's go!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:46

Any examples? Is it down different collaborators definition of what is and isn't prog? Or are you referring to Hard Rock, Jazz or Blues acts being discussed in Prog threads?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:05

No, I don't mean that.

'Unwilling to discuss...Prog/Prog term': suppose you mean defining prog? Every prog genre is defined - and very well on PA IMO - and many collaborators - like myself - have discussed what prog is over and over for many years so if you care to have a look at the discussions over the years you'll see that we're not unwilling to discuss. Can you elaborate on this unwillingness ?

Edited by earlyprog - August 03 2022 at 11:07
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:12
I know when people have sometimes complained about the "what is Prog?" discussion coming up again and again, some of us have responded that without these kinds of ad nauseum discussions this forum might die. Yes, a lot of people who have been active forum members for years have got sick of these discussions, and don't want to have to keep repeating the same old things. It can get very tedious.

Edited by Logan - August 03 2022 at 11:16
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:22
Rate Your Music already exists

PA offers a lot of prog bands that nobody has added to RYM

I love all music but I love a site like this that is focused on prog and related

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:40
I'd say NO.  

But, I do think the site could use a little upgrading and perhaps some new features.  Seems like it's been the same thing for years.  For example, the platform for the forum (especially the polls) could use some improvement (this has been discussed a couple of times already). 

Also, while there are video samples of some bands/performances, there's no real Youtube presence or channel that I know of sponsored by PA.  I think such a thing could attract a lot more users to the site.  Maybe some music discussion videos among PA members, kind of like Sea of Tranquility (and many other channels).  I think something like that would be cool to participate in as well.

Z
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 12:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I know when people have sometimes complained about the "what is Prog?" discussion coming up again and again, some of us have responded that without these kinds of ad nauseum discussions this forum might die. Yes, a lot of people who have been active forum members for years have got sick of these discussions, and don't want to have to keep repeating the same old things. It can get very tedious.
And to that point, all new members or these questions, should be directed to the PA definitions of each genre/sub-genre. It's all defined there with band examples to give members a clear perspective of why a band is defined as such.
At end of day if someone disagrees with the PA definitions, then so be it....I don't feel I need to be in a long thread about it at this point....
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 19:47
No
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 22:25
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Man, I hope not. I like my prog undiluted.

Exactly. 

There is alreayd allmusic and rateyourmusic for these things. This is a prog site. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 23:00

No, I don't mean that.

So you've seen someone posting non-prog bands in prog threads - and you're concerned that there's a hidden plan turning this into Allmusic behind it? Gimme a break! Do you use this (complete lack of) logic in other aspects of life, or just here? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>