Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Dream Theater Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 Dream Theater Albums
    Posted: August 05 2022 at 12:10
The Astonishing thing about Dream Theater is it's taken me this long to get around to running a Top 5 poll, but now seems as good a time as any with A Change of Seasons on the way. Images and Words cannot express how much I love their second album - the first album with singer James LaBrie leading the way. That's the 1992 album that was destined to Pull Me Under their spell and I've been Surrounded with the music of Dream Theater ever since. They were the band who Awakened my latent desire for Progressive Metal (before I even knew such a genre as Progressive Metal existed) and altered my Train of Thought about Metal generally. This New York band have really stood the Distance Over Time too, despite losing their long-time drummer Mike Portnoy. In A Dramatic Turn of Events back in 2010,  Portnoy announced he was leaving the band, temporarily throwing Dream Theater into Systematic Chaos, but Black Clouds and Silver Linings as they say, and The Spirit Carries On with their new drummer Mike Mangini. 

Anyway, that's it from me for now, so have fun and hopefully, Take the Time to list your favourite Dream Theater albums below, or you could always save your vote for Another DaySmile

Simply list your Top 5  albums and I'll assign points to your listings, as per usual:-

1st album:  6 points
2nd album: 4 points
3rd album:  3 points
4th album:  2 points
5th album:  1 point

Here's my Dream Theater Top 5 to kick things off with:-

1. Images & Words (6 points)
2. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory (4 points)
3. A Change of Seasons (3 points)
4. Octavarium (2 points)
5. Awake (1 point)

Dream Theater Albums

5 stars 1999: Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mY0UJ7SdDG7n4DgXGJ_h-vG0QH9LpayaA
4 stars 2002: Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nTL1U2POUqlwoey4_5PuJU6raBZOMZmTE
4 stars 2009: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mITLc-8859pN5FyuxZRjILfBdWgnRDJL0
4 stars 2011: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaO5evNthlMg_FDhpXDbtsuKtydKx6aGD
4 stars 2021: Dream Theater - The View from the Top of the World - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ksmWOXgYlkDzEJpHnBPdLWX47z2VysqSY

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 10 2022 at 10:47
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 13:04
1. Images & Words
2. Metropolis pt 2
3. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
4. When Dream and Day Unite
5. Octavarium

Great band, but somewhat inconsistent and now failing to meet the standards they set previously
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 13:06
^^ where's their newest album, from last year? 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 13:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^^ where's their newest album, from last year? 

I haven't listened to it yet. Big smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 13:25
Awake
Images & Words
When Dream and Day Unite
Train Of Thought 
SFAM

Edited by Cristi - August 05 2022 at 13:25
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 14:04
Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
Six Degrees
Awake
Black Clouds
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 14:34
Six Degrees
Dramatic Turn of Events
Scenes from a Memory
Images and Words
Octavarium 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 14:50
I guess I get to use this picture again, from the last time this question (or one similar) was asked. Since I posted this, I have listened to Distance Over Time, but like Paul, have not yet listened to the latest.

1. The Astonishing
2. Six Degrees
3. Awake
4. Falling Into Infinity
5. Dramatic Turn

My absolute favourite DT studio release, though, is A Change of Seasons. I realise the band consider it an ep, but if Paul counts it as an album, then knock off Dramatic Turn from my list, and move everything else down one rung to accommodate Seasons! 😜

Edited by nick_h_nz - August 05 2022 at 14:52
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 17:38
Scenes From a Memory
Train of Thought
Systematic Chaos
Octavarium
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 00:40
1 Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2 Systematic Chaos
3 Images & Words
4 Scenes From a Memory
5 Octavarium
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 00:56
Awake
I&W
SDOIT
M2: SFAM
Octavarium
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 00:56
Here are my top 5 favorite DT albums:

1. Octavarium
2. Awake
3. Six Degrees of Inner Tubulence
4. Train of Thought
5. Metropolis Pt.2
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 02:19
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I guess I get to use this picture again, from the last time this question (or one similar) was asked. Since I posted this, I have listened to Distance Over Time, but like Paul, have not yet listened to the latest.

Scenes From a Memory in the C tier?? Are you OK??
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 02:22
Originally posted by yogev yogev wrote:

No need to be rude.
I disagree with his ranking, too. 

yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 02:29

No need to be rude.
I disagree with his ranking, too. 

Didn't meant to be rude, just wanted to hear his thoughts about this.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 02:32

ok.
SFAM is not a favorite of mine either. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 02:43

ok.
SFAM is not a favorite of mine either. 
Maybe you prefer SPAM instead. Tongue

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 02:45
^ spam? Like you have just done in your post above? Disapprove

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 02:55

^ spam? Like you have just done in your post above? Disapprove

I knew you'd see the funny side of it, or maybe not, but I couldn't resist the temptation when I saw SFAM looks so much like SPAM, especially with my eyesight being what it is. Big smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 03:05

I put The Astonishing in my A tier, and what you’re worried about is SFAM in the C tier? 😜

Am I ok? Well, no, probably not. But it’s ok not to be ok. It’s normal.

SFAM has never really gelled with me. I was extremely disappointed when I first bought/heard it, as I do very much like Metropolis and, as I’ve said, A Change of Seasons is my favourite DT release. I guess it simply didn’t match my expectations in any way, shape or form. That said, it did have some standout tracks right from first listening (eg Home), so I can’t say I disliked it entirely. But I really didn’t appreciate it. At all. Over time, I have grow to like it, and it’s actually a far better album that I first thought - but it’s never going to be a favourite of mine.

What probably changed it for me was Live Scenes, which I bought (despite still not particularly liking the album being performed) mainly because it contained a full live version of A Change of Seasons; but also because there have been several instances over the years where I have found the live album of an album to be considerably more enjoyable than the studio. While this isn’t quite the case with SFAM, it did definitely help me get over my shattered expectations, and find an album I did actually enjoy. But I guess that elevated it to….C tier! 😜

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>