Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Triumvirat Album Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is your favorite Triumvirat album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [10.34%]
13 [44.83%]
6 [20.69%]
7 [24.14%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Triumvirat Album Poll
    Posted: August 07 2022 at 10:40
I'm surprised this has not been done before, but here you get to pick your favorite T'rat album from all that were released. (2002's The Website Story was not listed, as it was not officially released at all, and I have heard it but most of you have not and cannot).
         For me, it was a tough choice between Illusions On A Double Dimple and Spartacus, both featuring the classic-and what I feel was their best-lineup in Juergen Fritz on keys, Helmut Koellen (RIP) on lead vocals, bass and six and twelve string guitar and Hans Bathelt on drums. Illusions wins as my favorite; it is a perfect progressive rock album realisation, and there is so much going on in it's two long suites, both instrumentally and vocally, it is truly magnificent in every way. Just a bit better than Spartacus-a bit.
             What wins as your fave Triumvirat album?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 10:50
I love their first five albums, but my two preferred ones are Illusions On A Double Dimple and Old Loves Die Hard. Spartacus, although very good, sounds a bit too polished to my ears and lacks the spontaneity of the other two albums. Illusions will probably be the winner here, so I go for Old loves...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:45
1972's Mediterranean Tales easily for me.
It was an import, just received at a downtown record store I used to visit back in '72, that they were playing over the store system. I immediately went up and asked who the band was, then proceeded to buy it on the spot. I think it cost me $18. It may not be their most polished album or the one with the best vocals, but it is ABSOLUTELY their most progressive album hands down.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:56
Up to Pompeii, I love them all. My favorite is Old Loves Die Hard, since it was my first Truimvirat album, and have a lot of fond memories listening to ir, but the rest are quite good also.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 13:50
Spartacus for nostalgic reasons . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 17:22
I love both, Illusions On A Double Dimple and Spartacus. But, I prefer Illusions On A Double Dimple. As a whole I think is better and probably more prog too.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 20:10
The one with the Double Dimple hits me just fine. Not that unappetizing disaster we call Russian Roulette. I bet one person will vote for it. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2022 at 20:18
Make mine "Double Dimple!"  Mostly for nostalgic reasons, that was the LP that they were touring for when I saw them live in Champaign, Illinois USA, opening for Fleetwood Mac!  Both bands were top-notch!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 02:01
Illusions On A Double Dimple easily for me. Its a serious rival to Rick Wakeman and ELP albums for keyboard enginuity. Spartacus always leaves me cold and Jurgen seems to be just a little bit too hung on trying to be Keith Emerson it's almost like he stalking him at times! I once labelled it the worst prog album ever but that may have been extreme talk Embarrassed
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 07:40
Illusions

then  Tales
Prog On!
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 08:05
Old Loves Die Hard, then Spartacus.  Very hard to choose between the two.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 09:42
This seems to have already been done before but not as a poll. I remember stating that Illusions' was my favorite in the first go round. Beware of goofy vocals though.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 12:18
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

I love both, Illusions On A Double Dimple and Spartacus. But, I prefer Illusions On A Double Dimple. As a whole I think is better and probably more prog too.

this
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 12:51
OLDH. Dimple is overrated.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 14:38
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

How? IoaDD is a masterpiece IMHO. Not only does it have tons of amazing melodies and interesting harmonic/rhythmic ideas but also it has a certain emotional heart tugging quality to it other Triumvirat albums lack IMO. It also balances the technical prog parts with the sing songy hummable ones the best out of all Triumvirat records.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 15:20
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

1972's Mediterranean Tales easily for me.
It was an import, just received at a downtown record store I used to visit back in '72, that they were playing over the store system. I immediately went up and asked who the band was, then proceeded to buy it on the spot. I think it cost me $18. It may not be their most polished album or the one with the best vocals, but it is ABSOLUTELY their most progressive album hands down.
That is a neat story, I consider Mediterranean Tales to be rock music's greatest debut album. Many would consider that to be pushing it, but- oh, well.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 15:23
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

How? IoaDD is a masterpiece IMHO. Not only does it have tons of amazing melodies and interesting harmonic/rhythmic ideas but also it has a certain emotional heart tugging quality to it other Triumvirat albums lack IMO. It also balances the technical prog parts with the sing songy hummable ones the best out of all Triumvirat records.
Well put, Hrychu. Illusions is an incredible record, honestly. If anything, it is under-rated, in the grand scheme of things.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 15:26
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Make mine "Double Dimple!"  Mostly for nostalgic reasons, that was the LP that they were touring for when I saw them live in Champaign, Illinois USA, opening for Fleetwood Mac!  Both bands were top-notch!  
Chuck, you were the first person I ever knew, who saw the band, and with Helmut part of things! Lucky man.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 15:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Illusions On A Double Dimple easily for me. Its a serious rival to Rick Wakeman and ELP albums for keyboard enginuity. Spartacus always leaves me cold and Jurgen seems to be just a little bit too hung on trying to be Keith Emerson it's almost like he stalking him at times! I once labelled it the worst prog album ever but that may have been extreme talk Embarrassed
We'll have to cross swords on Spartacus, Richard. I wouldn't change anything in it, even if I could. It has for me a unique atmosphere which I find irresistible. Oh, well, we are all entitled to our opinions.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 15:53
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I like Spartacus a lot more. I always have.

(And I like Mediterranean Tales even less than Dimple.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>