Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Progressive Rock songs with odd time signatures?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Rock songs with odd time signatures?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Rock songs with odd time signatures?
    Posted: August 23 2022 at 23:31
So I was listening to Dave Brubeck’s Time Out to learn more about time signatures since it would help me with theory. I noticed that all of the songs had odd times with the exception of Strange Meadow Lark.
Then I heard Larks Tongues In Aspic to look for signatures, and can only find odd ones at the end of Easy Money(7/8 or 3/4 perhaps) and the two parts of the title track where I can find all kinds of signatures like 5/4 and 7/8 during riffs.
Sound Chaser by Yes’s main riff is in 5/4

Maybe the signatures are up to own interpretation?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 06:16
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 06:17
As I understand it, time sigs are often counted differently in classical music than in rock or jazz music. It's not a rule, and the method by which an individual chooses to count time sigs is somewhat 'flexible'

A recurring characteristic of most prog rock is obviously odd time signatures.

Taking Genesis as an example; Turn it on Again is often counted as 13/4, which is correct if you base the count on the full length of the piano riff, but even the band disputed what time sig it was in. Rutherford counting it simply as 2 bars of 4/4 followed by one bar of 5/4, and Collins choosing to count it as 13/4.

Also Golden Brown by The Stranglers has the feel of a waltz, and yet the phrase concludes with one bar of 4/4 at the end, so is it counted as 13/4 or 3 x 3/4 followed by 1 x 4/4.

Tubular Bells - IIRC - starts with alternating bars of 5/4 and 7/4, equating to 12/4 ?? EDIT: A Google search says the time sig is 15/4 for TB, but even so it could be expressed bar by bar. Ultimately it's in the time signature that the artist intended it to be in. IMO.

Who knows..?

Edited by Blacksword - August 24 2022 at 06:20
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 06:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

As I understand it, time sigs are often counted differently in classical music than in rock or jazz music. It's not a rule, and the method by which an individual chooses to count time sigs is somewhat 'flexible'

A recurring characteristic of most prog rock is obviously odd time signatures.

Taking Genesis as an example; Turn it on Again is often counted as 13/4, which is correct if you base the count on the full length of the piano riff, but even the band disputed what time sig it was in. Rutherford counting it simply as 2 bars of 4/4 followed by one bar of 5/4, and Collins choosing to count it as 13/4.

Also Golden Brown by The Stranglers has the feel of a waltz, and yet the phrase concludes with one bar of 4/4 at the end, so is it counted as 13/4 or 3 x 3/4 followed by 1 x 4/4.

Tubular Bells - IIRC - starts with alternating bars of 5/4 and 7/4, equating to 12/4 ?? EDIT: A Google search says the time sig is 15/4 for TB, but even so it could be expressed bar by bar. Ultimately it's in the time signature that the artist intended it to be in. IMO.

Who knows..?

Exactly. Quite difficult to say and define, since it's open to interpretation.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 06:35
Yeah, basically if you try and dance to it, and it trips you up and puts you off the beat, it's in an odd time signature. Count the beats until you trip up!
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 07:24

Freewill by Rush is much the same way. Are we supposed to count it as two measures of 6/4 and 7/4 respectively, or do we count it as one big 13/4 motif? I personally choose the latter, but I can see how people split it up as well Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 07:36
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Freewill by Rush is much the same way. Are we supposed to count it as two measures of 6/4 and 7/4 respectively, or do we count it as one big 13/4 motif? I personally choose the latter, but I can see how people split it up as well Smile

I tend to count Freewill as 13/4 too.

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 09:14
Listen to any of SONAR (Switzerland) or Stephan Thelen. It's all polyrhymic and odd time signatures to the max.

Here is the drum pattern of Orbit 5.7 taken from the liner notes of the album Black Light. The Kick & Snare appear to be 5/8, while Hi Hat is 7/8. Oddly, the measures appear to be divided into 10 notes, not 8, so does that make it 5/10 and 7/10?

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 10:51
I will contemplate this important topic as the Pied Piper takes his children underground to the throbbing rhythm of Apocalypse in 9/8.

Edited by RockHound - August 24 2022 at 10:54
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 11:13
Odd time signatures are often broken down. For instance. Apocalypse in 9/8 can be counted as 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3, 1-2.

A friend of mine counted out part of the instrumental for Hunting Girl as 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3-4, which makes it 10/8.

i remember seeing sheet music for Birds of Fire and one song was presented in 15/16 time.

Some Weather Report pieces do not list any time signature or even key. Talk about free jazz!
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 11:24
Autopsy: a very unconventional song from Fairport Convention, beginning in 5/4 time before transposing to 4/4 time in the middle section and then reverting back to 5/4 time again by way of a few bars of 6/8 time. Confused? You will be. This sounds more like Fotheringport Confusion to me, but it is rather good. Thumbs Up

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 12:59
Aquacadia - Markings of Time

https://youtu.be/ikWr9aEAXXQ

Also, many songs by Ron Jarzombek. I would suggest “A Headache and a Sixty-Fourth”

https://youtu.be/7RUbFqJCiWU

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2022 at 23:26
Just watched the making of DSOTM. Waters mentioned that alternating between 5/4 for the verses and 4/4 for the guitar solos made Gilmour’s solo totally rock.
TheNefariousHED View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2022 at 05:57
Wouldn't a more unique thread involve those rare prog rock songs in 4/4?

Weirdo timesigs remains one of the more critical stylistic markers of prog?

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2022 at 10:25
Skipped or added beats are a signature of prog, classical, and jazz.

All genres, including prog, use conventional time signatures like4/4 and 3/4. Odd and compound signatures, however, can add a sense of distinction and artistic flair and reveal the heart and sophistication of a composer.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 16:19
I have absolutely no understanding of music theory whatsoever. It's like a foreign language I simply cannot understand, no matter how hard I try. I just can't work out time signatures. My son, who is a musician, tries to explain it to me and simply cannot understand how I can handle complex physics concepts yet be so pathetically unable to work out even the simplest time signatures.

Edited by Hercules - August 29 2022 at 16:20
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 22:35
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I have absolutely no understanding of music theory whatsoever. It's like a foreign language I simply cannot understand, no matter how hard I try. I just can't work out time signatures. My son, who is a musician, tries to explain it to me and simply cannot understand how I can handle complex physics concepts yet be so pathetically unable to work out even the simplest time signatures.

Hi,

Agreed.

The tough thing, though is thinking about something else ... take two or three children and let them bang on something or whatever, and you will find that their "timing" is all over the place, and they explore the sound and the feel of what they are doing.

In many ways, we have stopped that "feeling" and replaced it with a mechanical process, that supposedly defines "music" ... and it reminds me of folks when I was at UCSB in the early 80's ... the folks in the musician department thought that making music was about changing a few notes here and there ... and they could not actually "feel it" or have what I thought would be a good idea of what it did or did not do ... and for my ears, it made for a lot of empty music ... hard to even call that music in my book, but we have to give them 2 inches of effort!

Time signatures, in my book, is something that rock music requires, because the majority of folks playing it can only count, and not play ... and this is the main reason why the book by Robert Wyatt is so valuable ... and to this day ... no one understands the joke about Syd Barrett ... when in the studio one guy turns to Robert and asks what key is he in? And Robert replies ... he don't know no chords or notes ... he just plays!

We still think he wasn't a great musician in his small amount of time ... and that the exploding loud guitar folks were better ... musically, I don't think they were ... simply because the most important factor that creates music is not there! The mental aspect yes, but the rest, for me, is not!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 23:43
Zappa
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 18:42
I always use this video when odd time signatures are required. Someone already has handily indicated the numerous time changes that fill this composition, so I don't have to. Thus, I anoint the blessed annotator.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2022 at 21:05

The one that comes to mind, and that I've checked a few times, is Watcher of the Skies.

The exquisite 6/4 at the beginning..

But the odder (polyrhythm) 8/4 over the 6/4 mellotron at the end, starting at 6:20..

From Wikipedia:
Quote Following the vocal sections of the song, there is an unusual polyrhythm part, where the staccato riff changes to 8/4 time, played against a Mellotron/organ chord part in 6/4.

Another one I remembered was Doug's (from Daily Doug Reaction videos from this thread) take on 'Machine Messiah' (live), where, starting at 9:58, there's a section where, apparently, there's no (discernible) time signature.. Stern Smile here's my post and here's the vid:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>