Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Church of Hed Releases The Father Road!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Church of Hed Releases The Father Road!
    Posted: August 25 2022 at 06:00

24-bit audio, exclusive to Bandcamp. Get those FLACs!

Church of Hed’s new double album, The Father Road, takes us on a surreal aural journey across the United States along the Lincoln Highway, the first transcontinental road built for automobiles. It’s effectively the sequel to the band’s 2011 album, Rivers of Asphalt, which traveled the legendary Route 66. The music shifts and evolves in tandem with the scenic backdrop of America from San Francisco to New York City. As with the original release, the sense of a lost era lurks throughout the album.

The music within features Church of Hed’s unique mix of spacerock, psychedelia, prog rock, krautrock, and electronic music. It channels diverse influences, ranging from CAN, Cluster, Brian Eno, and Hawkwind, to YES and The Flaming Lips, in addition to Glass, Reich, and Riley. In the end, it always manages to sound predominately like Church of Hed. Of course, Kraftwerk provided the original concept of combining electronic music with a transportation corridor!

The band’s Paul Williams composed, performed, and produced The Father Road with help from Quarkspace guitarist, Stan Lyon, on bass and guitar. Williams plays an array of synthesizers, keyboards, and electric drums. Surreal ambience highlights the western portion of the highway, while more lyrical instrumental pieces aurally describe the more populated sections of this old road. Check out the expanded liner notes at: churchofhed.com/releases/church-of-hed-the-father-road/

Released both on CD and digitally, The Father Road is available on CD or download from Bandcamp,

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2022 at 20:19
Sounds very nice. Congratulations!!!
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2022 at 02:34
  a favourite sound maker on SPACE PIRATE RADIO...  congratulations, Paul!
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
TheNefariousHED View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2022 at 05:27
Thanks, everyone!

Guy, reach out so I can get you a promo copy for your radio show... radio show.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 09:04
We just published a news update covering the release of our new album, The Father Road. It also includes links for the album on the most popular streaming services, like Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music. Of course, downloads and CD purchases support us much better than streaming revenue, but nevertheless. Cool YouTube videos abound plus a news update on our next release. Take a psychedelic road trip across the USA on the Lincoln Highway!

http://churchofhed.com/church-of-hed-the-father-road-is-released/
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 16:28
I had no idea you were a Columbus artist! I live am stuck here, too; had I known I would've invited you to play at Midwest Psych Fest, which is happening Sept. 16-17th at a farm in Galena. I listened to your discography in full five years ago, but it was during a bad time in my life so I don't recall much other than enjoying it!

Edited by Gordy - September 06 2022 at 18:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2022 at 05:27
Indeed. It's a small world. Thanks for checking out our stuff!

I don't really play out anymore, too much gear to schlep, plus I lack the number of appendages to cover multiple parts live. Nevertheless, I do play in from time to time.

Sadly, these are the only three tracks from The Father Road (out of 20) I can do justice to live. I am figuring out the arpeggiation (a bit of live improv magic originally) from Sierra Crest to make four.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2022 at 07:26
Hi,

Such pretty stuff and one of the great additions to Space Pirate Radio, and for a long time, too!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2022 at 10:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Such pretty stuff and one of the great additions to Space Pirate Radio, and for a long time, too!

Wow! Thanks for listening and spread the word!

Peace!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2022 at 17:14
Originally posted by TheNefariousHED TheNefariousHED wrote:

Hi,

Peace!

Hi,

Been with Guy and his show from the first in Santa Barbara in 1974 ... though it is hard for me to sit up now and listen to it each and every time, in the end, the show is still the very best there is, and the quality and amount of music is second to none anywhere, and deserves a wider touch/audience, although Guy might prefer the way it is ... cozy, comfortable, and incredibly peculiar in his musical tastes, but one thing that he had in those days ... was the touch ... he could always find anything.

There was one incident I remember well, when Guy was playing something, and one other DJ had to interfere and say that it "wasn't rock'n'roll" to which Guy immediately slowed the piece to a stop and then said ... "who cares! It's great music" ... and the irony always lived in my heart ... the piece? "Are You Receiving Me?" by Golden Earring!

To me, that says more about all the material he shows than anything else!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 05:24

Originally posted by TheNefariousHED TheNefariousHED wrote:

Hi,

Peace!

Hi,

Been with Guy and his show from the first in Santa Barbara in 1974 ... though it is hard for me to sit up now and listen to it each and every time, in the end, the show is still the very best there is, and the quality and amount of music is second to none anywhere, and deserves a wider touch/audience, although Guy might prefer the way it is ... cozy, comfortable, and incredibly peculiar in his musical tastes, but one thing that he had in those days ... was the touch ... he could always find anything.

There was one incident I remember well, when Guy was playing something, and one other DJ had to interfere and say that it "wasn't rock'n'roll" to which Guy immediately slowed the piece to a stop and then said ... "who cares! It's great music" ... and the irony always lived in my heart ... the piece? "Are You Receiving Me?" by Golden Earring!

To me, that says more about all the material he shows than anything else!

Wow. That's a cool story!

I typically encounter too many genre purists who react with veiled anger by music that's references various styles (especially what they perceive as "pop" or "techno".)

As I always say, "Church of Hed (and Quarkspace) piss off genre purists in multiple genres simultaneously."  It's all music according to Charlie Mingus!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 09:20
Here's the latest video from The Father Road! This time out we travel over the Alleghenies in a flying teapot that didn't originate from the Planet Gong. A slow psychedelic groove for your lazy Sunday afternoon with cool string synths providing that ambience. Enjoy!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 06:55
Here's another new video from The Father Road. This time out we trace where Route 66 meets the Lincoln Highway in Plainfield, IL. It's a synth (Moog)-laden track mixing psychedelic prog with electronica and minimalism. In short, Church of Hed!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2022 at 06:13
The Father Road is steaming on Apple Music. Of course, we prefer folks support us with a CD or download purchase, we understand the irresistible force of the modern streaming proletariat.

So git yer mashed-up psychedelic spacerock electronic prog right here! Apple still lets you buy a download too!

Edited by TheNefariousHED - September 30 2022 at 06:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 05:52
Here are the first published reviews of The Father Road.

First, a video review from Sea of Tranquility's Peter Pardo.

And here's a review from Expose and Peter Thelen.

Today is also Bandcamp Friday, so head on over and pick up The Father Road and/or some of the other 28 releases from Eternity's Jest Records, including Quarkspace, National Steam, and Church of Hed.

Thanks!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2022 at 08:35
Here's another fresh video from The Father Road for your stony Sunday. Take a surreal climb up the Sierras on the Lincoln Highway with tripped-out swirly visualizations and a soundtrack mixing psychedelic spacerock and electronic music!

Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2022 at 22:01
  still sounding SO GOOD on SPACE PIRATE RADIO.  congratulations again, Paul!  & HEY!  it's getting near to another LIVE broadcast of 4 hours plus (did 8 hours last week, so you never know if I've had too much Complimentary Anxiety Coffee from the GREEN NEON MOTEL).  thank you & cheers!

https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 06:01
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

still sounding SO GOOD on SPACE PIRATE RADIO.  congratulations again, Paul!  & HEY!  it's getting near to another LIVE broadcast of 4 hours plus (did 8 hours last week, so you never know if I've had too much Complimentary Anxiety Coffee from the GREEN NEON MOTEL).  thank you & cheers!

Thank yous for that continued support. Slowly getting back into new music stuffs, The Fifth Hour slated for next year sometime!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 06:03
Of course, we prefer folks support us by buying a CD or a download of The Father Road. Nevertheless, we understand the convenience of streaming. So here's a link to the album on Spotify. Maybe some year they will increase their royalty rates, but I'm not holding that hit in! Cough, cough.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2022 at 05:54
Here's another new video from our fresh album, The Father Road. This track crosses the Palisades into New York City with a mashup of psychedelic electronic music and progressive rock, per usual. The visuals remind one of the classic vector graphics video game, Tempest. Check it out! Support us with a CD or download purchase! We appreciate those who already did. Remember to give Hed for the Holidays!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>