Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poetic Pieces for the Mind and Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poetic Pieces for the Mind and Spirit
    Posted: September 04 2022 at 01:35

I have to admit that this thread is meant not only for fun, and mainly for some kind of small poetic pieces, 
maybe inspired by album and song titles or lyrics, or it could be something else.

Anyway, something like for instance:

At the Bottom of The Black Sea
At the End of The Blind Road
Back to The Beautiful Red Flowers
The Hope

Edit: This thread has evolved to also including quotations of lyrics, so you can do that as well. I should maybe 
mention though that only excerpts of lyrics are allowed to be quoted on the PA forum.

And these lyrics have been already quoted:

Jethro Tull - "Aqualung" (1971)
Van der Graaf Generator - "The Undercover Man" (1975)
Black Sabbath - "Hand of Doom" (1970)
Caravan - "Winter Wine" (1971)
Bauhaus - "In the Flat Field" (1980)
Procol Harum - "In Held Twas in I" (1968)
The Doors - "When the Music's over" (1968)
Genesis - "Looking for Someone" (1970)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Tarkus: Battlefield" (1971)
Anekdoten - "The Old Man & The Sea" (1993)
Lunatic Soul - "The Final Truth" (2008)
Voivod  - "The Unknown Knows" (1989)
Steve Hackett - "Shadow of the Hierophant"  (1975)
Tool - "Ænema" (1996)
Mercyful Fate - "Satan's Fall" (1983)
Little Steven - "Freedom" (1987)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, part 1" (1973)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "The Only Way (Hymn)" (1971)
Supertramp - "Crime of the Century" (1974)
Bob Marley & The Wailers - "War" (1976)
Van der Graaf Generator - "Childlike Faith in Childhood's End" (1976)
Superluminal Pachyderm - "Voices from the Nose, part a: A Hassock Ecological ...." (2013)
Stevie Mack - "The Old Man and the Sea" (2004)
 Sex Pistols - "God Save the Queen" (1977)
 Black Sabbath - "Lord of This World" (1971)
 Gentle Giant - "Think of Me With Kindness" (1972)
 Brygada Kryzys - "Too Much" (1992)
 Procol Harum - “Fires (Which Burnt Brightly)” (1973)
 Flower Travellin' Band - "Hiroshima" (1972)
 Deep Purple - "No No No" (1971)
 Peter Hammill - "Flight" (1980)
 Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Lucky Man" (1970)
 Bob Marley & The Wailers - "Crazy Baldhead" (1976)

Also, these poems from album artwork have been quoted:

Neville Potter - "The Romantic Warrior". Return to Forever - The Romantic Warrior (1976)
Sri Chinmoy - "Revelation". Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (1973)
Ralph G. Gleason - "Miles...Musings". Miles Davis - E.S.P. (1965)

P.S. Beginners like myself are more than welcomed, and I'd like to dedicate this thread to Paul P. who may be 
said to be the greatest practicioner of poetic stuff in the PA forums. Thumbs Up

Edited by David_D - April 12 2024 at 06:45
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 07:11
It's not clear what is the purpose of this thread. What are we supposed to do here? 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 07:29

make small pieces of "poetry"
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 11:24

Won't to give any try, Cristi?
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 16:59

I do:

Don't come too soon
To the next world
But don't be late

Edited by David_D - September 06 2022 at 03:29
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2022 at 23:28

I've asked Paul if he would like to write some poetic pieces here. He's thinking about it, but meanwhile he wanted me to tell
that his poetic term for Danish Metal is

Head-Bang & Olufsen Metal

LOL

Edited by David_D - September 06 2022 at 02:58
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 16:36

Now, something else:

My days dissolve in my own Light
Above the toil of life my soul
Is a bird of fire winging the Good

Edited by David_D - September 06 2022 at 03:28
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 03:38

Give it a try here whenever you feel ready - I'm not that bad. Big smile

Edited by David_D - September 06 2022 at 06:10
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 04:44

The Romantic Warrior across His Mind and Spirit

Edited by David_D - September 06 2022 at 05:34
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 10:52

Quasisedimentation Theory 

running around the room with a remote in my hand
i look so natural, popping sounds in the air
speeches in fire bowls of cereal, consumed earlier
there's a police force in my shirts
hovering near the shower curtain rod
drying cycle, photocopied feet

three weeks and five ice cubes ago
a lot more experience, nothing gained
toolbox investigates a ball of aluminum foil
running through the shirts in the closet
like being a car in a car wash
i am not keeping with tradition
simultaneous breezes, i'm following
clapping vigorously, phase the plastic lining

q-tips living in my ears
a fog descends in the bathroom
no one is taking a shower
no one remembers how

i flip the page, i talk to my toaster
what am i avoiding?
doctor prescription in poetic non-form
time cards all over the floor
mix mashed cheese and oven water, units of life
singing about being happy on the highway
they say they are pumped
stage set ablaze
should we guess at what's going on?
run toward the ice water
take a break, sniff the microphone
import baseball highlights

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 13:46
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

That's pretty advanced, Progaardvark. Big smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 14:35

Can you give some description of it? Where does it come from?

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2022 at 15:00
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Can you give some description of it? Where does it come from?

I wrote it in 1998. It was in a book of poetry I self-published in 2007.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2022 at 03:34

I wrote it in 1998. It was in a book of poetry I self-published in 2007.

Wow, that seems to me something of an achievement. Thumbs Up
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2022 at 09:10

Back to the beginners:

2000 light years from home
Beyond the seventh galaxy
We are the lost ones

Edited by David_D - September 07 2022 at 09:29
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 06:09
Some lyrics I'm very fond of:

Sitting on a park bench
eyeing little girls with bad intent 
snot running down his nose
greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.
Drying in the cold sun 
watching as the frilly panties run
feeling like a dead duck
spitting out pieces of his broken luck.

(from Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" (1971))

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 08:07
Hi,

This is going to be long ... and I'll do my best to be skimpy.

It's hard to not understand, or agree, that "poetry" and rock music have not matched up well, and specially so in what we consider "progressive music". That being said, it is really difficult to not appreciate the poetic magnificence of CTTE and then TFTO ... which the group was never able to do again as it did not have the cohesiveness and their hugeness got to their egos.

The better/best poets, probably are Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan (specially the earlier stuff), Roy Harper, Peter Hammill ... and I am missing more that I can't remember at this moment. There were a couple more from the late 60's that really pushed the "edge" of poetry and it was thought as it would be far out to mix it with music.

To this end, the INCREDIBLE STRING BAND must get some serious credit as most of their early material was about poetry, not songs, and most of it lived until their crash in Woodstock with the audience asleep as they performed "U" ... which to this day is totally ignored here and deserves a lot of attention as the magnificent piece it is. But a lot of popsters around here don't like the old literary stuff and think that things that Jane got a gun is better poetry because it rhymes with fun!

In a lot of rock music, poetry was mishandled and grossly used, and even made fun of in some cases.

Renaissance, for the longest time, had lyrics written by a Poetess, whose name fails me. It made for very nice stuff, and a bit different from most folks, and not as "topical" as a lot of poetry tends to be.

Other than that, the group Novalis, used words by the philosopher as lyrics, and there probably were more examples around the world, although they don't usually show up in listings and postings about poetry ... at all!

I have written poetry to a lot of music, and just like my father's examples done to classical music that were published in his life, mine won't be published until I'm gone as I do not think that an audience exists for it, as folks, first of all, don't listen anymore, and second of all don't really know the difference between poetry and regular jargon and descriptive nothings that don't even make your heart and mind float all over ... there is nothing attractive about the aqualung lyrics listed above ... it's not even inviting, in fact it is more sexually abusive and minded than otherwise ... and something that these days would get smashed to bits! But it was, at the time, a very valid expression, somewhat similar to many folks out there in the world of literature that thought a descriptive passage makes a poem. Normally, that's "fiction".

I much prefer TS Elliot to that fiction.

Edited by moshkito - September 08 2022 at 08:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2022 at 09:16

Thank you very much for your post, Moshkito, which I indeed find interesting, 
and I'd be very glad to see a sample of your poetry.
Regarding Peter Hammill, his lyrics to "Killer" (on H to He...(1970)) are those I find to be 
not less than the very best I've ever seen.

Edited by David_D - September 08 2022 at 10:21
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 06:07
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Thank you very much for your post, Moshkito, which I indeed find interesting, 
and I'd be very glad to see a sample of your poetry.
Regarding Peter Hammill, his lyrics to "Killer" (on H to He...(1970)) are those I find to be 
not less than the very best I've ever seen.

Hi,

Peter's whole catalogue fits, and it is difficult to select one piece over another. You can tell the poetic value in his work because it is so different from each piece and rarely will you hear a similar theme here and there on his music. That kind of individuality is not commonplace and not something that is always appreciated, and it is, in fact, the main reason why some folks DON'T LIKE Peter Hammill's work ... it changes so much and is so strong emotionally, that it is difficult to compare to the plasticene and cardboard reality of the majority or pop music, and even a lot of the "progressive" music as well.

He's not the only one, though, and I'm shortchanging many folks that had a lot of quality, but in reality, they are difficult to address since most folks will stick to the topical material instead of the freer form poetry that drives the poets that we remember in the history of literature. It takes a certain amount of freedom to get this far, and you cannot be "dependent" on a riff or a sound ... and that is the thing that we screw up the most on. You are dependent on the voice and its delivery, and the music, more often than not, is not even essential to the whole, although some folks made it special, and we have to credit some, like Bob Dylan in his early days, for making it all so vibrant and memorable. 

To enjoy "poetry" you have to let go of rhymes and of ideas, and just close your eyes ... and there are surprises, too ... I remember reading Allen Ginsburg couple of small books and was not impressed ... and one night I saw "Tonite We All Love In London" and he is there reading a couple of poems, and all of a sudden the words explode ... that is amazing and important. It's like we couldn't see the visuals, but all of a sudden with a proper context, his words came alive, and that is something that books and a lot of literature hides and makes it tougher to appreciate the material and all of a sudden you have to rely on the "masters" to learn how it is done ... well, let me tell you ... there are no "masters" in the rock world, as they are writing something new that has not been exactly written about or seen for hundreds of years. I know there was poetry and music for many years, but no recording, so now that we have the first 100 years of it, I think that we finally will open up to a new form of expression ... just as important and valuable as poetry.

One more singer ... I have always loved Sandy Denny ... and by the time you hear "Reynardine", you know that the wording is all she is about ... and when you have Richard Thompson with her, the whole thing just shines and explodes into one of the prettiest things ever recorded in rock music! The saddest poem though is her last ... on the Rising for the Moon album, and in the end, she did not get one more chance! I guess that's what makes it poetry ... knowing something that most of us are not capable of conceiving or understand!

I'll post some, but as before, the words were ignored by folks that either can't connect to poetry, or folks that just don't like Mosh and think he is a waste. Even I, as cynical as I can be, will not do that to anyone here, although I might post a disagreement. I have that much respect, and more so for those with artistic sensibilities, instead of pop sensibilities, and to me, what became known as "progressive music" was not a pop song as so many talks here are ... it was art at its best! 

Makes me think of that Bunuel film ... his last ... with the image of the Goya painting, and the guy crying FREEEDOMMMM as he is shot! It doesn't mean sh*t to most here I don't think! (The Phantom of Liberty) ... and that is what all this music has become ... the Phantom of an idea ... how ironic that is!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 09:03

Thank you very much again, Mosh, it's simply great and much more of a good stuff than I've expected to see here. Thumbs Up 

Edited by David_D - September 09 2022 at 09:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>