Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Close to the Edge turns 50!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close to the Edge turns 50!
    Posted: September 09 2022 at 10:16
Earlier this year we celebrated the 50th anniversary of ELP's Trilogy album, so now it's time the celebrate the same anniversary for this site's ne plus ultra #1 album, Yes's Close to the Edge. As to the actual release date, that can be argued about, but all the sources I've seen show it to be in September 1972.

For myself, Close to the Edge was not my first Yes album, but I was familiar with the material from having bought the live album Yessongs first. Then I bought The Yes Album and Fragile before finally buying Close to the Edge. This album left me in a state of awe-inspiring wonder for a good portion of my 16th-17th year, and to this day, it's my favorite of the albums that feature both Steve Howe and Bill Bruford.

While this topic has probably been covered before, let's hear your stories about what this album has meant to you as we celebrate the golden anniversary!  
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 10:38
my best/strongest memory is the summer after it's release. Being raised at a home with a pool I spent many a summer day "lounging" by the pool with buddies...and buds Wink.  I played it to death with no regrets. now, every time I put it or any track from it on I'm immediately transported back to that summer livin' the life !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
fouad.ai.azar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fouad.ai.azar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 10:40
Damn... I can't believe it's a 50 year old album.

I was lucky to catch Yes performing in Bonn, Germany, where they played both Close to the Edge and Fragile albums live in 2018(?)

It was an odd experience. I was in my late 20s then, and a friend and I decided to enhance the experience before we went to the concert.
Upon entering, we were surprised to find the whole event was seated. Of all the audience members my friend and I were the youngest, which isn't bad, but the general mood was a bit staggered since it felt like we were about to be tucked into chairs and switch on our evening program. We lifted the mood by munching on some Oreos that we had snucked in and just laid back to enjoy the mastery.

I was very impressed with Steve Howe and how he remained agile switching between guitars, sometimes even using his foot to wheel the slide guitar into place. The bassist who replaced Chris (RIP) did a great job sticking to the material. Rick Wakeman was absolutely stellar with his throne of equipment towering over him. Jon Anderson's replacement was okay.

Once the concert ended, no one chanted encore, (the older generation of Germans are not so indulgent), and everyone stood up and left on queue. I took the time to go thank the Mixer who really brought everything to life in that hall.

The whole experience was mixed. Their performance was outstanding, but the vibes in that room were so dull, that my friend and I felt isolated watching the whole thing.

Anyways, happy birthday Close to the Edge.

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 13:03
I first heard And You and I on the radio at some point after the album's release. It has remained one of my favorite Yes songs since. As to the entire album, I was more familiar with it through the Yessongs live performances, preferably so, since I did not like the original mix compared to the more vibrant live versions. Later remixes have made me appreciate the original more. It is very difficult to get me to a live show these days, so I doubt that I will see them on tour. 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 13:32
Happy birthday
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 14:05
Not love at first sight for me, but a revelation given in time. A strong one.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 17:30
I'm a bit of a younger Yes fan than some so I didn't discover the band or this album when it was new. However, these days especially there's no getting around the importance and significance of this album. I think even those who aren't big prog fans recognize it as not just influential but a masterpiece in music. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 09 2022 at 17:30
Progman4160 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progman4160 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 18:56
That's Great and a Great Album BUT YES is Dead!!!
Come on Steve , give it up already!!!!
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 19:45
The Yes Album turns 51-1/2! That’s the one that resonates with me most. CTTE is the “we’re not worthy album” that everyone puts on the Prog pedestal. It’s a great album. Books have been written about the legends of this album. And, it is super proggy. But, if I had to grab one Yes album to take to a deserted isle, I’d probably pick TYA.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2022 at 20:11
One of the most important albums in progressive music. When I first heard it, I was certainly marveled by the music. I still enjoy listening to it, and find it quite enjoyable each time.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 01:05
...I've turned 60...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 04:09

Yes didn't say much to me in the 70's. In 1993 I got The Yes Album, and have been rather fond of it. I listened to some 
of CTTE in the following years, but it was first in 1997 that I was enough fond of it to buy it. I've listened to it quite a lot of
times since, but it was not earlier than in the recent years that I got more into it, and first today can really say that I'm 
fond of it.

Edited by David_D - September 10 2022 at 04:24
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 04:30
As with many my age who didn't benefit from the record collection of an older brother, I was introduced to Yes when they released 90125, when I was 15. Having picked up the vibes that this wasn't 'proper' Yes, I bought Drama, Tormato then GFTO in that order (I think). Finally, someone lent me Yesstories and the rest was as they say, histories...

Yes, CttE was a fabulous album, but I got to Foxtrot first and it meant more to me at an earlier age.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 14:37
I got into Yes with Fragile around 1976, still my top Yes album. Then I got Yes Album and I was hooked easily, I actually skipped getting CTTE as other bands were getting my money. I finally got it around 1978, but it never resonated with me much, not till around mid 80s.
It's for sure a brilliant album and I spin it often to this day.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 15:36
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

The Yes Album turns 51-1/2! That’s the one that resonates with me most. CTTE is the “we’re not worthy album” that everyone puts on the Prog pedestal. It’s a great album. Books have been written about the legends of this album. And, it is super proggy. But, if I had to grab one Yes album to take to a deserted isle, I’d probably pick TYA.

My thoughts exactly. Though side 1 of CTTE is wonderful, side 2 is nowhere near as good.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 16:00
Amazing!  I was a huge Yes fan back then, and I went to see Yes in concert on 22 September, 1972 at Chicago's acoustically perfect Arie Crown Theater.  The Eagles opened the show. 

I hadn't heard the LP "Close to the Edge" when I went, so I was looking forward to hearing their radio single "America!"  Needless to say, when the famous sparkle ball descended to start CTTE, I was in awe....as I am to this day. 

To my many Brit friends, God Save the King! Heart

Edited by cstack3 - October 20 2022 at 00:29
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 19:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Amazing!  I was a huge Yes fan back then, and I went to see Yes in concert on 22 September, 1997 at Chicago's acoustically perfect Arie Crown Theater.  The Eagles opened the show. 

I hadn't heard the LP "Close to the Edge" when I went, so I was looking forward to hearing their radio single "America!"  Needless to say, when the famous sparkle ball descended to start CTTE, I was in awe....as I am to this day. 

To my many Brit friends, God Save the King! Heart

The Eagles opened up for Yes in 1997? Sorry but that doesn't seem likely. I know The Eagles opened for Yes in 1972 but 1997? After Hotel California it's unlikely they would have opened for anyone. 

Edit. Ok, according to forgotten yesterdays Yes did not play any shows on that date in 1997. www.forgotten-yesterdays.com

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 10 2022 at 19:19
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 01:05
This is what happens when you get too Close to the Hedge. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 11 2022 at 02:58
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 03:40
And in 2032, It will turn 60 ! then 70 ... then 100. And there will nobody to listen to it. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 03:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is what happens when you get too Close to the Hedge. Tongue

I don't think I've seen a more pointless post around here... Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>