Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Close to the Edge turns 50!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 04:17
^ I'm hedging my bets that you've now made it doubly pointless by re-posting it. LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 04:22
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I'm hedging my bets that you've now made it doubly pointless by re-posting it. LOL

good thing you admit you made a pointless post... 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 12:42
With painful honesty, I have tried Close To The Edge and have found I don't appreciate it all that much. I prefer The Yes Album and Fragile much more.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 16:19
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

With painful honesty, I have tried Close To The Edge and have found I don't appreciate it all that much. I prefer The Yes Album and Fragile much more.

Clap
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 17:45
I remember going to a freinds house so that he could show of his new stereo system and he put on "And You and I". From the single triangle note at the beginning my musical world was completely changed.

I don't really listen to the title track and I much prefer the early assembly/ rough mix of it that was included in the Steven Wilson remix edition.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - September 11 2022 at 17:48
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 18:48
This is about the album cover.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 19:00

I don't remember where I read this, maybe it was in a youtube comment, but I remember someone saying they worked in a record store back in the 70s and they sold a lot of TYA and Fragile but not so much CTTE. CTTE probably sells just as well today though. It's interesting how things change. Sometimes our mind is made up and we won't change that. To each their own.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 11 2022 at 19:00
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 22:08
I'm a strange case.

I never heard the studio stuff first.

I heard it live first.

And "I get up...I get down" was stuck in my head the next morning.  Ended up buying Yessongs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 16:42
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 17:05
I'm surely not the biggest Yes fan around here but kudos for CTTE. I can hear that one from beginning to end and love all of it. As worthy of being PA all time number 1 as they come. I also find it heartwarming that Howe, Wakeman, Anderson are still active 50 years later, even though the music they now do doesn't interest me a lot. Long may they last anyway! (I never get why some who don't like the new music some old heroes are doing think that "they should stop" - I mean, nobody is forced to listen to the new material anyway, so what harm does its existence?)

By the way, I'm also part of the "heard live versions first and prefer them" crowd. Must've been something like 1982 when I got Yessongs and heard this stuff for the first time.

Edited by Lewian - September 13 2022 at 17:08
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 05:17
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I'm a strange case.

I never heard the studio stuff first.

I heard it live first.

And "I get up...I get down" was stuck in my head the next morning.  Ended up buying Yessongs.

Same here, I got 'Relayer' first then 'Yessongs' when I was 13.  When I first heard the studio versions, they seemed tame in comparison...
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 06:08
50 years, eh? Maybe a nice time to retire from the #1 spot?

All joking aside, I've always seen The Yes Album and Fragile as more significant albums (not to mention more enjoyable to me), so I was a bit surprised when I first found out this album held the top spot on PA. Then again, it's not significance, but how much people like the album that determines its ranking. But to me this was always just another prog rock album. To be quite frank, I thought that Yes were getting a bit stuck up their ass on this album already, with Tales just exacerbating that, rather than starting it.

Even so, it's a great album, no doubt. I gotta start buying some Yes albums in decent versions, because the 2013 box set remaster kind of butchers the title track with how brickwalled it is.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 09:01

I also prefer The Yes Album over Close to the Edge. I always skipped "And You And I".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 15:16
I wonder if this hype will result in any more album sales for CTTE. To be honest I kind of doubt it since most people making a "fuss" over it (including myself) already own it. Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 00:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I wonder if this hype will result in any more album sales for CTTE. To be honest I kind of doubt it since most people making a "fuss" over it (including myself) already own it. Smile

That's the issue... they expanded and remastered it and sold it at a 'nice price' 30 years ago and it's still freely available for £3. The market reached saturation point, so there are more second hand CDs on ebay than new. I guess they might sell a few more LP's to the early retired, but as good as the music was, the cover art hardly inspired, did it?
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 05:10
Like the OP, I also discovered this album when I was 16 (I am 31 now). I illegally obtained the album from the infamous WCD tracker as it was one staff picks for a given month. The album pretty much changed my whole musical world as I did not realise music from the 70s could be anything like this, I had listened to DSOTM but honestly that album still seems more like a rock, rather then a prog album IMO (and personally it still surprises me that anyone into prog would rate this album so highly compared to other prog classics of that era). My naive rebellious skateboarder tendencies had me thinking that death metal at the time was my genre of choice. Despite this fact, something about CTTE truely spoke directly to my soul and changed the way I approached my listening habits in general forever. I distinctly remember the next album I obtained and loved after CTTE was a Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger album which again was a big departure from what I had been listening to and what my friends were into. For some reason even though I always kept this album in my listening rotation I did not approach prog as a genre properly until my early-mid 20s but I feel like CTTE was a great baseline for what a good prog album should contain. I only wish I was born earlier to have experienced the excitement that must have captured a whole generation upon its release. I have since purchased the album on vinyl, an original copy I believe.
Minus the h.
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 15:49
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

That's the issue... they expanded and remastered it and sold it at a 'nice price' 30 years ago and it's still freely available for £3. The market reached saturation point, so there are more second hand CDs on ebay than new. I guess they might sell a few more LP's to the early retired, but as good as the music was, the cover art hardly inspired, did it?
I think you're underestimating people's eagerness to buy the same album over and over just because it's in a shiny new package, a funny color vinyl, because they're too stupid to understand what 'remastered' means. You can bet your ass that if they did come out with some 50th anniversary version, people would eat it up. Nevermind that you can find 600 copies of the album on CD (and twice that many on vinyl) on Discogs right now, the cheapest going for chump change.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 12:22
So if Yes broke up after Close To The Edge never to reform, how well known would they be these days? Would they still be remembered or almost completely forgotten. Just wondering.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 19 2022 at 18:48
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 12:38
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I think you're underestimating people's eagerness to buy the same album over and over just because it's in a shiny new package, a funny color vinyl, because they're too stupid to understand what 'remastered' means. You can bet your ass that if they did come out with some 50th anniversary version, people would eat it up. Nevermind that you can find 600 copies of the album on CD (and twice that many on vinyl) on Discogs right now, the cheapest going for chump change.

I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt, Ian... LOL
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2022 at 09:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is what happens when you get too Close to the Hedge. Tongue

I don't think I've seen a more pointless post around here... Ouch

And I don’t think I’ve seen one more predictable than this😂😂😂
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>