Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

47 years of Wish You Were Here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 47 years of Wish You Were Here!
    Posted: September 12 2022 at 10:46
12 September 1975 saw the birth of one of the greatest albums in history. When many people thought that Pink Floyd with "The Dark Side Of The Moon" had reached its peak and after that they wouldn't know how to reinvent themselves, only 2 years later they released an album that for many is even superior. A masterpiece through and through, a demonstration of why they were born to make music.

If I had to describe it in one sentence, I would say that it is "the definitive musical work about the inexorable and fundamental confrontation of the individual with the tragic evolution of technology and machinery".

Do you have any memories of the release of this album?
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 12:36
my favorite album from my favorite band.

one of those that i have owned on 8-track, vinyl, cassette and several CD copies.  love that album.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2022 at 12:57
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

Yes, I certainly have. The first time I listened to it was when visiting with my brother and a friend another friend,
who had just bought it. Shortly speaking, Wish You Were Here made a great impression on me, or it was just love
from the very first listening - as I seem to remember it. So it was very accessible for me, but I've never got tired
of it. Tongue

Edited by David_D - September 12 2022 at 14:04
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 08:05
I was a bit young to appreciate it when it came out (13) and in fact remember thinking how tedious it was when it was being played in a school class room by some older students. Now I love it and would put it right up there. Rick's synths still sound as beautiful as ever and the somewhat overused word 'masterpiece' must surely apply here.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 08:29
An album that could never sustain my original enthusiasm.

"Welcome to the Machine" was always my highlight song for me, while the title song and "Have a Cigar" were like silly parlor tricks--once you'd heard them once or twice they lost all appeal.

The "Shine on…" suite was good for a year or two--before I discovered the Richard Wright magic in Parts VI-IX. I haven't felt a need or desire to listen to any part of the album for years now--even back ten years ago when the big battle for Number One on PA's All-time Top Studios was in full play. I just couldn't muster the stomach for it.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 12:53
My God, has it been that long? A monumental album, and one Gilmour once said he preferred over The Wall. I'm with him, and I play 'Here on occasion whenever I want to be re-enchanted.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 14:29
It can sleep for years in the shelves, but there will never be a last spin for this classic. Impossible to ignore it's always there.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 14:33
Stripping lead off tops of gate posts to make fishing weights, next to the railway line. Thats what i was doing the day i first heard WYWH on my mates brother in laws stereo (later that day).. there were poplar trees along the train line like the ones on the inner sleeve with red hankie blowing across the image.. and a blue sky. I dont listen that often to the lp but thats what i think of when i hear it

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 22:44
A true masterpiece and one of my favorite albums of all times.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 00:00
My fav album by the Floyd...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 01:37
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

I was in the secondary school and we were watching a documentary about Greek islands. The background music was Shine On You Crazy Diamond. A girl behind me said : "ooh Pink Floyd! How good!".
It's how I went to know about the album before the internet days.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 05:10
I was 13 when it came out.  I had wanted to see them at Knebworth that summer but parents said 'no'.  I first heard 'Shine On' in Selectadisc (a record shop in Nottingham) - I am pretty certain of that.  
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 06:12
We're going 47th anniversary threads now? That has to be a joke right?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 22:41
Well what makes a 47th anniversary any less significant (or any more insignificant) than a 40th, 45th, or 50th anniversary? Our need to assign significance to things by groups or scales of tens or fives is completely arbitrary, and is only because we use a base 10 numbering system. Imagine a culture where they don't do that. Wouldn't they think our obsession with 25th, 50th, 60th, etc. anniversaries is a joke. Just playing devil's advocate here.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 22:50
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Ok so then you understand what Stressed Cheese (whom I agree with) means?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 03:24
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

We're going 47th anniversary threads now? That has to be a joke right?

it's not an anniversary thread, just the OP pointing out how long ago the album was released IMO.
Also the question at the end of the original post is only for the user that were around when the album was released. 
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 15:36
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Well what makes a 47th anniversary any less significant (or any more insignificant) than a 40th, 45th, or 50th anniversary? Our need to assign significance to things by groups or scales of tens or fives is completely arbitrary, and is only because we use a base 10 numbering system.
I think you just answered your own question.

It's not like I don't think this thread should exist, but it's just funny to me that between all the X0 and X5 anniversary threads, there's this one. The idea of even noticing an album came out on a certain day on a random anniversary like 47 is just humorous.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 23:31
Well I won't speak for the OP, but maybe it was inspired by the CTTE turns 50 post? As a way to sort of ignore the supposed importance of an anniversary of a "round" number?
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 00:41
I find it more humorous that anyone could be upset, confused, or otherwise by someone celebrating a 47th anniversary. This month I celebrated my own 47th anniversary. And I played some of my favourite albums that were also celebrating their 47th anniversary.

Anyone who wants to celebrate any anniversary of any album is just fine with me. 

Sharing anniversaries that are not just ending in 5 or 0 may once have been less common, but thanks to social media, it’s now pretty much the norm. Every year I will see “released on this day” posts on FB by people or pages for albums. An album doesn’t become more or less special to someone who likes it, just because it hits a year ending in 5 or 0.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 01:51
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I find it more humorous that anyone could be upset, confused, or otherwise by someone celebrating a 47th anniversary.
I'm neither upset nor bemused. I smiled when I saw the title. Every day it's hundreds of potential anniversaries for an album here. Myself look forward to celebrate Guapo's Five Sun's 19th anniversary the 13th of January 2023. And after that, April 29th Nonagon Infinity, my favorite King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard-album turns seven!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>