Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

45th Anniversary of Steely Dan's Aja

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 15:18
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Hey, to each their own. I was just merely pointing out that it's ironic that the elite will put this album on in an act of "sophistication"
Do they, though? Do "elite' folks put on this album?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2022 at 04:49
^More likely they have their Man-DJ do it for them. LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 15:11
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Purple Kush! Save me some.

Do you remember Thai Stick? Best herb ever.
Why yes, I certainly do. Once pulled the stick out of one, removed the string, sectioned it off into thirds, and rolled a paper around each. Huffed one section/joint before a 1977 ELP show and found no use for the other two. Good show too, with strong opener Status Quo setting the course for the evening. Nowadays, my big thrill is to watch Adam 12 reruns.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 15:16
By the way, my friend poured honey oil over the aforementioned stick before the show, and I don't think I have ever been so high in my life. Simply blotto.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 15:51
If anyone cares to remember, the album was kind of a letdown to most SD fans upon release.  Critics thought it too slick and lacking that adventurous scope in music and grittiness in lyrics.....it was called the "Eagles-ization" of the Dan.....one critic called the guitar solos "too tasty", another said the Dan had lost touch with the streets and instead focused on the ivory tower of the studio.  

Of course, the LP has only grown in reputation since; to me, it still pales in comparison to the first five.  I dig the hell out of Aja - it's an excellent album but it's definitely as step away from the Dan we came to know and love.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 17:02
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

If anyone cares to remember, the album was kind of a letdown to most SD fans upon release.
The exact opposite of a letdown for me. Their best album ever!!!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 17:44
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

By the way, my friend poured honey oil over the aforementioned stick before the show, and I don't think I have ever been so high in my life. Simply blotto.
We did the same thing at Todd Rundgren's RA tour.

Yet most say weed of today is stronger. Hooey!

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 26 2022 at 18:33
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 01:19
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I remember when AJA came out. My best friend got a copy and we played it all afternoon long. I still love it.

Nice!  I also remember its arrival fondly....on a vacation trip when it first came out, we heard an amazing bar-band from California that was able to play much of this material to perfection!  They also did hits of the era by Boz Scaggs, James Taylor and many other AM radio hit-makers. 

Edited by cstack3 - September 27 2022 at 01:19
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12