Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Big Six - of the 80s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Big Six - of the 80s?
    Posted: September 14 2022 at 03:56
I know some find this tedious, but having established (sort of) the 'Big Six' of prog in a previous thread, the discussion did revolve around prog rock's golden era of the 70s wherein our heroes scored big chart successes.  But what about the 80s? My starter for ten is that Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Pink Floyd maintained their positions.  So, who replaces ELP who officially split up in 1979?  I would suggest Marillion.  A complicating factor is the relative success of those members of the Big Six who since went solo - Gabriel and Hackett immediately spring to mind.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 05:09
My big four of the 80's

Rush
Pat Metheny
Allan Holdsworth
Frank Zappa
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 05:25
I wouldn't include any of the original "Big Six" in the 1980's "Big Six" of prog. For me, the 1980's belonged to the emerging new wave of Neo Prog bands, and with that in mind, here's my 1980's "Big Six" in order of prominence, but not necessarily in order of preference. Smile

1. Marillion
2. Pendragon
3. Pallas
4. IQ
5. Twelfth Night
6. Magenta

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 20 2022 at 13:47
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 05:35
Possibly a slight case for Pallas - IQ and Twelfth Night by a long stretch...

Apart from Marillion, I don't think any of these other bands made a dent Stateside...(US readers may want to correct me...)

Edited by Rick1 - September 14 2022 at 05:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 05:55
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Apart from Marillion, I don't think any of these other bands made a dent Stateside...(US readers may want to correct me...)
I couldn't even name half a dozen American Neo Prog bands. The only two that come to mind are Echolyn and Spock's Beard, neither of whom were around in the 1980's. Ermm

I have to be honest though..... I didn't buy my first Neo Prog album until earlier this year when I bought three albums by Marillion, even though I wasn't a big fan of theirs back in the 1980's Embarrassed 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 05:59
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I couldn't even name half a dozen American Neo Prog bands. The only two that come to mind are Echolyn and Spock's Beard, neither of whom were around in the 1980's. Ermm

I have to be honest though..... I didn't buy my first Neo Prog album until earlier this year when I bought three albums by Marillion, even though I wasn't a big fan of theirs back in the 1980's Embarrassed 

American neo-prog is rare, neo-prog was a European thing, mostly British at first.  

Echolyn and Spock's Beard are not neo-prog bands. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 06:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

American neo-prog is rare, neo-prog was a European thing, mostly British at first.  

Echolyn and Spock's Beard both featured prominently in a Neo Prog book I read recently, even though they're not listed as such on ProgArchives. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 06:10
Discounting the original Big 6

Marillion
Cardiacs
Univers Zero
IQ
Dead Can Dance
Art Zoyd

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 06:13

Echolyn and Spock's Beard both featured prominently in a Neo Prog book I read recently, even though they're not listed as such on ProgArchives. Smile

if you cannot see the difference between the sound of the bands you listed above and the sound of Echolyn and Spock's Beard, that's on you then... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 06:39

if you cannot see the difference between the sound of the bands you listed above and the sound of Echolyn and Spock's Beard, that's on you then... 
No, I can't hear the difference. Echolyn and Spock's Beard both sound like Neo Prog bands to my ears, and up until today, I'd always assumed they were listed as Neo Prog on ProgArchives. Embarrassed
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 06:47

No, I can't hear the difference. Echolyn and Spock's Beard both sound like Neo Prog bands to my ears, and up until today, I'd always assumed they were listed as Neo Prog on ProgArchives. Embarrassed

so IQ and Spock's Beard sound the same to you? Really? LOL
Pendragon and Echolyn sound the same? LOL

wow...

Edited by Cristi - September 14 2022 at 07:11
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 07:08
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Discounting the original Big 6

Marillion
Cardiacs
Univers Zero
IQ
Dead Can Dance
Art Zoyd

Much as I love UZ and AZ, I don't think there is a case (I had heard of UZ in the 80s, but that was it!).  Cardiacs and DCD, maybe.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 07:14
Back to the OP:
I'd say all of these bands could be recognized for their contributions to keeping the spirit of prog alive during Prog's "Dark Ages":
Rush (7 1980s studio albums released)
Pat Metheny (7 proggy releases--with Group and other configurations)
Univers Zero (3 highly rated 1980s releases)
Marillion (7)
David Sylvian (6 - two with Holger Czukay)
King Crimson (3 highly rated studio albums and a couple other package/live albums)
Peter Gabriel (3 studios, 2 highly acclaimed soundtracks, one top selling live album)
Kate Bush (4 highly acclaimed studio album releases)
XTC (6 high quality studio albums released not to mention the Dukes of Stratosphere albums)
Swans (7 1980s releases)
Genesis
Yes

I won't give credit to bands who only appeared in the second half of the decade (Ozrics, IQ, Pendragon, Cardiacs) or bands whose careers fizzled or meandered from the fray (Pink Floyd) 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 07:31

wow...
I  have a feeling you're deliberately misinterpreting what I said: I don't recall saying that IQ and Spock's Beard sound the same, or that Pendragon and Echolyn sound the same either. If you recall, I said that Echolyn and Spock's Beard both sound like Neo Prog bands to me, which is not the same as saying they all sound the same, if you follow my meaning. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 07:33

wow...
I  have a feeling you're deliberately misinterpreting what I said: I don't recall saying that IQ and Spock's Beard sound the same, or that Pendragon and Echolyn sound the same either. If you recall, I said that Echolyn and Spock's Beard both sound like Neo Prog bands to me, which is not the same as saying they all sound the same, if you follow my meaning. Tongue

You said and i quote "No, I can't hear the difference." 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 07:34
On Cardiacs they were around as early as 1977 but I think you are right that they didn't really get any awareness until '88's A Little Man ... album.

I actually find this pretty hard to come up with a meaningful list, Rush only had one 'classic' album after 1980. Gabriel gets rolled into the 'Genesis' original Big 6 & he's more of a art pop artist than a progger, Kate Bush, maybe?

I guess the 80's Big 6 is - Marillion
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 07:35
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

My big four of the 80's

Rush
Pat Metheny
Allan Holdsworth
Frank Zappa

This is almost what I would consider the best 80s bands, though they started their careers in the 70s.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 08:54
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

My big four of the 80's

Rush
Pat Metheny
Allan Holdsworth
Frank Zappa

This is almost what I would consider the best 80s bands, though they started their careers in the 70s.
True, but Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and Pink Floyd started their careers in the late 60's.

Allan Holdsworth's first official release was in 1982.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 11:04
From JR/F, Metheny and Di Meola. 
Bowie did quite well in the 80s
Battiato from RPI had a great decade, also commercially-
What about Kate Bush?
I know Vangelis is, for some strange reasons, only in related, but he made and sold a good number of albums.
Zappa, too, did a lot of work in the 80s

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 11:40

The Big Six - of the 80s?

The simplest answer: There's no such thing - for a reason.

There was a Big Four of Thrash Metal in the 1980's. But not in the 1990's. Same thing here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>