Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Big Six - of the 80s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 19:13
Haydn, Clementi, Mozart, JC Bach, Rossetti, Boccherini
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2022 at 08:29
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Haydn, Clementi, Mozart, JC Bach, Rossetti, Boccherini

thank you! Thumbs Up
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 13:34
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I won't give credit to bands who only appeared in the second half of the decade (Ozrics, IQ, Pendragon, Cardiacs) or bands whose careers fizzled or meandered from the fray (Pink Floyd) 

IQ’s first album came out the same year as Marillion’s (1983, Tales From The Lush Attic) and they released 4 albums in the decade, so maybe you SHOULD give them more credit!!

Absolutely! They toured pretty heavily in the early 80s, I saw them twice in Leeds when I was at uni there (82-85). Small venues though, one was a pub, the other a small club.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 02:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Someone earlier mentioned that Iron Maiden had three prog albums in the 80s. Really? What were they? As far as I know only Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son could be considered prog or prog metal (I think maybe they were trying to jump on the still nascent prog metal bandwagon). 

Somewhere In Time and Powerslave (it was my postTongue)

There was a lot of talk about their prog connections at the time in interviews. They believed they were nearer Pink Floyd than Led Zep in style. Highly debateable perhaps but I think they were crafting music that had a more artistic bent then the average metal band. IMO
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 02:10
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I have to take this back to the original post: A "Big Six". 
I can't imagine using the word "big" to describe bands that A) very few people knew of at the time or B) sold very few albums and performed in small venues in front of small crowds. The "Big Six" for me would have to encompass opulence and popularity; to be called "big" is pretty much interchangeable with "popular." In order to be considered "popular" I would think there needs to be fame, notoriety, album (or singles) sales, MTV presence (in the 80s, especially), and Big venue concert performances. How can little known bands and albums with virtually nonexistent sales be considered "big"???

If you think this post was about something other than the six "biggest" acts, then perhaps you should try to convince the original poster to change the name of the thread.

''Are they prog?'' is also a valid part of the argument so the 6 biggest acts of the decade may not have been that big tbh given that prog had virtually disappeared off the map. Only Marillion and Rush seem absolute slam dunk to me. After that its a bunch of AOR or once important bands thinking that they have to stay relevant.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 07:35
I didn't realise there was so much earnest debate about this thread.  I still argue that the 80s saw these bands (except ELP) maintain high levels of popularity during the decade.  I managed to see Pink Floyd on a huge world tour in 1988, similarly Genesis in 1987, etc. Only Marillion came close (in fact, at the MK Bowl they subverted the billing from 1982 when they were bottom of the bill to Jethro Tull at the Theakston Music Festival).  I recognise the contribution of other bands in keeping the flame alive during the decade but I was at some pretty big events featuring these 'old favourites' (even ELPowell made 35 in the UK, 60 in the US...)
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2022 at 13:04
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

The Big Six - of the 80s?

The simplest answer: There's no such thing - for a reason.

There was a Big Four of Thrash Metal in the 1980's. But not in the 1990's. Same thing here.

I suppose U2, Simple Minds and Big Country were the 'Big 3' of.. well i'm not sure actually.. big, overblown, stadium-pomp- rock in the 80's?? U2 certainly openly decried any perceived 'prog' influences.. Simple Minds and Big Country perhaps more open minded to a degree.. i cant stand U2 but have a soft spot for the Scots contingent..

Actually (briefly) Runrig were quite big..

Apart from the UK NWOBPR at the start of the 80's, Marillion were the only big venue fillers.. Rush, Zappa..

It was mostly padded shoulder jackets with sleeves rolled up and bad mulletsWink

There's probably a big four, five or six 1980's Stadium Rock, New Romantics, Synth Pop, Sophistipop, Hair Metal, Post Punk, Indie, Art Pop, Italo Pop etc... but an 80's Big Six of prog rock feels absurd to me. Prog wasn't really Alive and Kicking in that decade, and about as relevant as... Be Bop.

Yep, kinda what i was sayingLOL
I suppose. But I said it better.
I dont get notifications of posts anymore so didnt see this till now..

Yeah, ok i'll give you that oneHug cos there's not enough love in the worldWink

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 02:16
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I didn't realise there was so much earnest debate about this thread.  I still argue that the 80s saw these bands (except ELP) maintain high levels of popularity during the decade.  I managed to see Pink Floyd on a huge world tour in 1988, similarly Genesis in 1987, etc. Only Marillion came close (in fact, at the MK Bowl they subverted the billing from 1982 when they were bottom of the bill to Jethro Tull at the Theakston Music Festival).  I recognise the contribution of other bands in keeping the flame alive during the decade but I was at some pretty big events featuring these 'old favourites' (even ELPowell made 35 in the UK, 60 in the US...)

actually ELPowell sold well and put the band back on the map.

Generally people want to credit relevance as well as popularity. Genesis became pop orientated and Floyd were at best a bloated versio of its former self. Yes The Big generator is not exactly a prog fave and Tull were virtually unlistenable (Rock Island Angry) . So we have Marillion and Rush - the ''Big Two'' of the 80's but then Marillion were not popular in the USA and many other places. So it's just Rush by a process of deduction ''The Big One''. Smile
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 02:32
Kate Bush
Marillion
Tears for Fears
Talk Talk
Peter Gabriel?
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 08:28
Point of order, in the 80s in the UK at least, we spoke of the Big Five, not the Big Six, which is a relatively new concept.I first heard people talk about the Big Six, rather than the Big Five, only about ten years ago.

Also, in the 80s, we were still talking about the Big Three:
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin

Edited by LAM-SGC - October 30 2022 at 08:30
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 09:15
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Point of order, in the 80s in the UK at least, we spoke of the Big Five, not the Big Six, which is a relatively new concept.I first heard people talk about the Big Six, rather than the Big Five, only about ten years ago.

Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
I recall those three major bands were once known as the unholy trinity of British Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, and probably still are. Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 23:17

Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin

So, which were the Big Five of the 80's?
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2022 at 02:21
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin

No such thing as a Big Five of 80s prog.
The Big Five IN the 80s though, (prepositions are important) were still the same as they were in the 70s - PF, JT, Yes, Genesis, ELP.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 22:35

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin

No such thing as a Big Five of 80s prog.
The Big Five IN the 80s though, (prepositions are important) were still the same as they were in the 70s - PF, JT, Yes, Genesis, ELP.

No King Crimson then? I thought their albums were the better loved ones from the prog bands FROM the 80's... perhaps that is the difference, now those albums are beloved, but not so much IN the 80's? I do like the music they did then, but don't really love, actually (I prefer the double trio versions of those songs).
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2022 at 03:16
^ See the original post, I had included King Crimson.  With the exception of ELP (despite the excellent comeback with ELPowell) the rest had maintained their positions with Marillion taking the vacancy left by ELP.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345