Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-1970's Prog: The Year 2006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.04%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.08%]
10 [20.41%]
5 [10.20%]
4 [8.16%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.04%]
5 [10.20%]
1 [2.04%]
2 [4.08%]
3 [6.12%]
2 [4.08%]
2 [4.08%]
3 [6.12%]
1 [2.04%]
2 [4.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.12%]
1 [2.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-1970's Prog: The Year 2006
    Posted: September 20 2022 at 00:53

4 stars 2006: Karda Estra - The Age of Science and Enlightenment - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvYWYb54WVe1wCGiRUwTOio
4 stars 2006: Little Tragedies - New Faust - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oImfiGTNYY&t=5358s
4 stars 2006: North Sea Radio Orchestra - North Sea Radio Orchestra - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdktF-lL0yEZ9auIYG5H2KLtccNoIzf92

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 20 2022 at 16:43
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 01:34
Frost* - Milliontown
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 02:17
Little Man is one of my all-time favourite The Pineapple Thief albums. But, although I love The Pineapple Thief, it took a long time for me to be able to buy this album, let alone listen to it. I almost didn’t buy it, and when I bought it, I almost didn’t listen to it.

And, although as aforementioned, this is one of my all-time favourite The Pineapple Thief albums, I still hardly ever listen to it. So since I’ve not listened to it for around three years, I’ve made myself listen to it again now.

This is an extremely beautiful, fragile, and melancholic album to listen to - whilst at the same time, in spite of the beauty and fragility, it is also dark, heavy, and sometimes almost violent. It is extremely moving. Even the cover art is extremely evocative, and triggering. I find it hard to look at, as beautiful as it is.

When my son, Toby  was born, it was a very hard time for me. We went to the hospital just to be sure, as Cherish was a little worried. We weren’t really given much information, but it was clear the hospital staff were worried, too. Cherish was rushed in for an emergency caesarean. Toby came out blue, limp, still and quiet. He was given diamorphine. We were able to see him for a little while, before he was taken away to SCUBU (or whatever it is called these days).

While Cherish was taken back to a ward for recovery, I was spoken to, and taken to see Toby. I was told that there was a good chance he wouldn’t make it through the night, but please not to tell Cherish, as she needed to rest and recover from the emergency procedure. I could barely see Toby for all the equipment covering his face and chest, and all the wires and tubes connected to his body.

Toby struggled through his first days, but he is alright now. I can’t imagine what it must be like, to actually lose a child. I struggled for quite some time after Toby recovered. Unbeknownst to me, I was suffering from post-natal PTSD. It was diagnosed by the midwife when she was visiting Cherish prior to the birth of my daughter, Phoebe.

The cover art is harrowing for me, and the music more so. Most of my friends who know me through a shared love of music, know that generally speaking lyrics pass me by. The vocals are usually just another instrument in the mix for me, and I very rarely pay attention what is actually being sung. Perhaps because I am aware of what this album describes lyrically, or perhaps because there are so few lyrics at all, they stand out more, I can’t help but hear them on this album. Quite clearly the lyrics are written from the (broken) heart, and I do find them hard to process.

I know a lot of people make Radiohead comparisons with this album, and of course I can hear why. I also hear a lot of Anekdoten, though whether Bruce had listened to that band, I don’t know. Perhaps it’s just the gravity (excuse the bad pun) of the lyrics and music?

As is almost always the case with The Pineapple Thief, the album finishes marvellously, if somewhat crushingly. It reminds me quite a bit of Remember Us from Variations, despite sounding quite different. The beeping which features throughout tightens my chest every time it appears. I’m immediately back in SCUBU, by Toby’s side with those beeps. It’s amazing how one simple sound can pull back so many memories. For a long time, even when I could listen to this album, I couldn’t listen to this song. It’s one of my favourite TPT songs now, even if I still rarely manage to listen to it.

It must have been hard for Bruce to write this, but cathartic. It is hard for me to listen to, but cathartic. Music is medicine.

Toby’s suffering was due to undiagnosed Group B Strep. My Little Man is alive. He, and we, were lucky. Others are not. This is a wonderful album which is often overlooked in TPT’s discography. Perhaps because it is too personal? Perhaps it is only appreciated (if that’s even the right word) by those who have been through similar trauma? Regardless, it gets my vote. For Bruce, for his Little Man, and for me, and my Little Man.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 03:29
The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 03:30
TT
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 03:43
Number of albums I'd listened to in the poll before 2010 = Only 1 (David Gilmour)

Number of albums I listened to for the first time yesterday = 10 (Deluge Grander; Karfagen; Kotebel; Little Tragedies; The Mars Volta; Nexus; The Pineapple Thief; Saga; Seven Reizh; Shamall)

Number of CD albums I currently own in the poll = Only 1 (David Gilmour)

Voted for..... David Gilmour

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 20 2022 at 03:43
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 03:45
Mostly Autumn - Heart Full of Sky.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 03:49
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

Mostly Autumn - Heart Full of Sky.

I wish I'd voted for Mostly Autumn too now, then they would've been leading the poll, but I voted the same way as Cristi for a change. Wink
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 04:10
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

<span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">Frost* - Milliontown</span>

Me too…although I’m the first to vote for it!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 04:15
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

<span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">Frost* - Milliontown</span>

Me too…although I’m the first to vote for it!!

what's happening with that quote? 
I didn't say that. LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 04:24
Thanks Nick for sharing this moving story. It will actually make me explore that album.
As I haven't done so yet, my favourites here are rather predictably North Sea Radio Orchestra, Karda Estra, and Porcupine Tree. Very nice to see the first probably not very well known NSRO album in this poll, and it gets my vote.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 04:48
Milliontown is a masterpiece.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 20 2022 at 04:48
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 05:07
North Sea Radio Orchestra
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 06:10

Frost* - Milliontown

Yes, I came to the same conclusion.

A lot of bands I like released albums that year, but many were slightly under par.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 06:26
Mr. Hackett, Mr. Gilmour, and Mostly Autumn for this round.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 06:37
The Tangent - A Place in the Queue
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 07:50
Nexus
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 08:50
Rick Wakeman's Retro – recorded entirely with vintage gear pulled out of storage.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 09:17
This, I think, is the easiest poll so far.

Frost* - Milliontown

Then The Tangent - A Place in the Queue.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2022 at 09:18
Steve Hackett, David Gilmour, Porcupine Tree.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>