Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Official Progarchives List of Live Prog Band Album
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Official Progarchives List of Live Prog Band Album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epistel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Progarchives List of Live Prog Band Album
    Posted: September 23 2022 at 09:33
I have wondered for a long time why there is no official list of the Best Live Prog Albums. This list should show up next to the "TOP PROG ALBUMS (ALL TIME)" in the MISC section on the Progarchives home page.
Please notice that you have  "TOP PROG ALBUMS (ALL TIME)" but there is no OFFICIAL progarchives list of the top live recordings by Prog Bands. Seems to me like a very large gap would be filled by making an officially sanctioned PROG ARCHIVES list available and easily accessible to all viewers. Just a suggestion.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 09:36
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 09:40
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

like this one?

Nice list. There are so many live albums these days, it seems they deserve their own category. 
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 09:43
Although there is no link on the home page, such a list is available from the "Top Prog Albums (all-time)" list by changing the "Filter: Specify the list recording type" filter from "Studio" to "Live", then click "SUBMIT". Here's the resulting list:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 09:44
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Although there is no link on the home page, such a list is available from the "Top Prog Albums (all-time)" list by changing the "Filter: Specify the list recording type" filter from "Studio" to "Live", then click "SUBMIT". Here's the resulting list:

I've already posted that, except that i do not know how to shorten link tiles, yet. EmbarrassedSmile
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 09:54
^ There were no other replies when I embarked on my quest to provide my link to the OP. During that time, you and Manuel replied.

To provide an alternative text to the link, select that text (written normally), click on the "Insert Hyperlink" (the little world globe"), paste the link in the address box, remove the "http://" from the link, then click "OK".

Edited by I prophesy disaster - September 23 2022 at 11:12
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 13:29
Hi,

Interesting to see no PF albums listed ... although I am not surprised at all, though things like "Live in Pompeii" deserve to be listed, as it is a fine show, although it seems to be a bunch of shows not just one. At least different days and nights. Not sure about that, though.

I don't think the shows that PF put on after that were as good as the early bootlegs ... the fact that they had to time themselves to film and a lot more, took away some freedom and quality from the work, and while the atmosphere for the shows was intense and exciting, in the end, the actual music in the show was not as good as it should, or could have been. in "Pulse" the band does OK, but I'm not sure that it belongs with the early stuff ... that was on so many bootlegs, and this was the material that suggested that this band was great in concert, and it was, until DSOTM.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 01:18
^ You are perfectly right. I prefer any scratched old bootleg to Pulse.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 05:26
My Top 3 Live Prog Albums

5 stars 1972: Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhDfmUnN1vY
5 stars 1988: Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHf5IftRKPs
5 stars 1995: Pink Floyd - P-U-L-S-E - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HriYRoxWo1I
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 07:03
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Interesting to see no PF albums listed ... although I am not surprised at all, though things like "Live in Pompeii" deserve to be listed, as it is a fine show, although it seems to be a bunch of shows not just one. At least different days and nights. Not sure about that, though.

I don't think the shows that PF put on after that were as good as the early bootlegs ... the fact that they had to time themselves to film and a lot more, took away some freedom and quality from the work, and while the atmosphere for the shows was intense and exciting, in the end, the actual music in the show was not as good as it should, or could have been. in "Pulse" the band does OK, but I'm not sure that it belongs with the early stuff ... that was on so many bootlegs, and this was the material that suggested that this band was great in concert, and it was, until DSOTM.

Isn't Live at Pompeii technically a bootleg? It would certainly make my list and top my Pink Floyd list.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 02:18
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 02:31

LOL
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 17:25
That recent slew of live Floyd releases documenting the years 1968-72 are all amazing - don't know if they were a part of a box set or just individual releases but each rate right up there in sound and performance quality with the live disc of Ummagumma, the previously best live Floyd album.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
MrMHead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 17:44
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

That recent slew of live Floyd releases documenting the years 1968-72 are all amazing - don't know if they were a part of a box set or just individual releases but each rate right up there in sound and performance quality with the live disc of Ummagumma, the previously best live Floyd album.

I was just going to mention Ummagumma - I didn't see it mentioned previously.
That was the first CD I ever bought.  I had it on vinyl, and knew I couldn't pass it up.

Other live:
Is "Song Remains the Same" too mainstream?

Tony Levin's Double Espresso

No Civilization here. Tried it on but it would not fit.
Seems only a thin veneer. A little rubbing and it comes off quick.
- The Bears
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 07:51
The Prog Corner
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 07:34
Hi,

One album that I think deserves some credit and mention is "MAN - Back Into The Future" ... but the two very long pieces that are live. That version of "C'mon" with the choir and Mickey going nuts over it, is fantastic and a very memorable moment, and the other side, "Jam Up Jelly Tight" is also very good, and a total treat, if not a tribute to the Fillmore days.

Of all "live" pieces, in any album, I like this version of "C'mon" over many things, and after that quickly to Grobschnitt's Solar Music Live ... and specially the remastered version with two or three other versions of it, all of them totally far out! A true trip band!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply