Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Benoit David vs John Davidson vs Trevor Horn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who is your favorite Yes vocalist post-Anderson?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [28.13%]
4 [12.50%]
19 [59.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Benoit David vs John Davidson vs Trevor Horn.
    Posted: September 25 2022 at 10:48
So all of them try to sing in vein of Anderson, to keep the sound. 

One guy believes that the radio star died by video, one got killed by the Buggles star on the return trip, and one guy shares a first name with the actual thing. 

I never heard any of these albums. I do not expect to enjoy The Quest(even though a few think it is a masterpiece like Hendrix user) or Heaven and Earth(which will probably take me to hell listening). I might enjoy the Drama though were the Buggles invade Yes and maybe Fly From Here with the one timer.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 11:00
Thanks for the poll... Thumbs Up

I gave up on Yes after Magnification, but oddly, have just found a cheap 'Fly From Here' Special Edition with DVD on ebay and took the plunge, so I will sit this one out, but will be interested to see what others have to say... Smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 11:41
Against expectations, I voted for Benoit David over Jon Davison, even though The Quest has been my favourite YES album ever since I heard Magical Mystery Tour for the first time.  Thumbs Up
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 11:42
As far as I’m aware, Jon Davidson exists in my cd collection only as the bass player for Sky Cries Mary, but I have heard the Yes albums he features on, The Quest is better than Heaven and Earth, but that’s a pretty low bar….

I love Drama, though, and much of this album and Fly From Here developed from Buggles material, so I guess that might be why I like both these Yes albums, since I do like Buggles. I would vote for Trevor Horn on the basis of Drama alone, but he gets extra brownie points for the return trip to Fly By Here. I don’t dislike Benoit’s vocals at all, but I definitely prefer Trevor’s.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 12:01
Voted for Trevor Horn because of Drama and the Buggles (Adventures in Modern Recording). Return Trip was okay.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 14:20
Trevor Horn(Drama and Fly From Here Return Trip)
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 14:26
Trevor Horn, without a doubt. The other two try too hard to "sound alike". Although I must say that Davidson is becoming more himself on some tracks of The Quest - a pity for him that this album excels in mediocrity.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 17:54
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

As far as I’m aware, Jon Davidson exists in my cd collection only as the bass player for Sky Cries Mary, but I have heard the Yes albums he features on, The Quest is better than Heaven and Earth, but that’s a pretty low bar….

I love Drama, though, and much of this album and Fly From Here developed from Buggles material, so I guess that might be why I like both these Yes albums, since I do like Buggles. I would vote for Trevor Horn on the basis of Drama alone, but he gets extra brownie points for the return trip to Fly By Here (sic). I don’t dislike Benoit’s vocals at all, but I definitely prefer Trevor’s.

Davidson was also with Glass Hammer for an excellent five album run and it is on the strength of this that I am going to sling him my vote.

Trevor Horn is the only singer here who was not previously part of Yes tribute band which might account for him sounding the least like Anderson.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 18:06
Trevor gets the nod. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 18:41
John Davidson rules!

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 19:37
Benoit David, but no singer is or ever will be Jon Anderson for Yes.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 21:09
They’re all really good!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 23:03
JD
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 23:55
Despite the poor "Fly From Here", I've seen Benoit's live performance on YT and he does an excellent work. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 00:53
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I love Drama, though, and much of this album and Fly From Here developed from Buggles material, so I guess that might be why I like both these Yes albums, since I do like Buggles. I would vote for Trevor Horn on the basis of Drama alone, but he gets extra brownie points for the return trip to Fly By Here (sic). I don’t dislike Benoit’s vocals at all, but I definitely prefer Trevor’s.

Davidson was also with Glass Hammer for an excellent five album run and it is on the strength of this that I am going to sling him my vote.

Trevor Horn is the only singer here who was not previously part of Yes tribute band which might account for him sounding the least like Anderson.

I’ll stick with Sky Cries Mary. 😜

I do think you’re probably right that Trevor Horn stands out for not trying to sound like Jon, and having not been part of a Yes tribute band.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 02:26
Jon Davidson
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 03:25
Benoit David has the best voice out of the 3 (imo). I saw Yes with Horn and he really struggled with the Anderson songs, I thought he was going to burst a blood vessel.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 05:38
The romantic music of John Davidson really touches me. Heart

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 09:06
^ Verslibre is your partner in crime on this one by the looks of it!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 09:21
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>