Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"ITCOT Crimson King at 50" Film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "ITCOT Crimson King at 50" Film
    Posted: September 28 2022 at 08:04
Just got an email from DGM Live:

The film explores the “acute suffering” and transcendent glory experienced by current and former members of King Crimson, giving the audience an intimate and sometimes uncomfortable insight into the musicians’ experience as they confront life and death. ‘In the Court of the Crimson King’ is not only a film about a group that has been creatively active for 50 years it’s also a film about music, why it matters, and the painful sacrifices artists have to make in order to create work that changes people’s lives. But with jokes.

In theaters Oct 19
- Ticket sales 9/28

Streaming Event Oct 22
With Intro by Robert Fripp and Q&A with director and band members.

Details can be found at DGMLive website.
No Civilization here. Tried it on but it would not fit.
Seems only a thin veneer. A little rubbing and it comes off quick.
- The Bears
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 09:22
thanks for the heads up.  This documentary is essential.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 10:45
Not to be mean but I wonder how many people would go see this. I get the feeling that if I went there would be maybe five other people in the audience. Not that it really matters but I don't see this having mass appeal. Many people never even heard of King Crimson. 
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 12:07
That's one of my Xmas presents sorted then Thumbs Up
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 13:17
Excellent news. I'm looking forward seeing the film.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 13:54
Will definitely buy the DVD
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 17:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not to be mean but I wonder how many people would go see this. I get the feeling that if I went there would be maybe five other people in the audience. Not that it really matters but I don't see this having mass appeal. Many people never even heard of King Crimson. 

Few people but the wiser ;-)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2022 at 20:06
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Will definitely buy the DVD
What the hell is a DVD? LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 07:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

They're offering it via streaming at home as well, which is how I plan to take it in.  We have an indie theatre here in town, but they are not able to handle digital stuff as they are purely old school.  I imagine many worldwide will check it out that way....those of us who are in the know, that is.    

And being the fool I am, I will no doubt allow Fripp to once again take cash from my pockets when the DVD/BluRay is released.  

Edited by Disconnect - September 29 2022 at 07:53
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 08:49
Hi,

I hope to watch this, however, I'm not sure that there will be something in it that we don't already know, and I'm sure that one of the things that they will show might just be that RF is likely not a dictator, but that the folks involved believe in the quality and music they are playing, and they show it beautifully. And, unlike many rock bands, I would think that these guys know how to rehearse properly instead of just screwing around on a riff and calling it a rehearsal!

I doubt I will be able to see this, and the price of the DVD will be too much for this pocket, as so much of the KC material has been for a long time ... even used copies are costly!

Sadly, RF doesn't need someone like me talking nice about his work, and their dedication to the work in detail to the point of it being "spiritual" and even dedicated to a God we have never known or understand in the various layers of the Bardo of Rock music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 14:26
My son and I were very interested in going to a theater and viewing this with an audience in front of a big screen. It said it would be in theaters all over, but when I checked on the date, there was no theater showing it anywhere remotely close to where I live in Texas.  It's really too bad. 

Edited by paisanojac - December 05 2022 at 14:26
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2022 at 06:29
Hi,

so sad to see this be relegated to nowhere land ... you would think that RF and DGM would try and sell a DVD, or perhaps stream it for a fee.

Oh well ... so much for meaningful work and art!

Ciao! I'm just so disappointed in the distributing of this that I can't even listen to KC anymore! What's more? I don't think that Mr. RF cares!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2022 at 07:22
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2022 at 07:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

so sad to see this be relegated to nowhere land ... you would think that RF and DGM would try and sell a DVD
Ummm, are you high? The blu-ray/DVD is readily available to purchase in the USA.

Great movie that I would recommend for even casual KC fans.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2022 at 11:20
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_king-crimson-at-50_boxset

Hi,

Thx ... was expecting it at DGM ... no wonder!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2022 at 12:12
Anyone offering this as a stream yet, Hulu or such? I don't need a 350 CD box set LOL
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2022 at 14:05
^It is also sold not as a box set. Just Blu-ray/DVD.

Y'all don't search before posting?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2022 at 10:02
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^It is also sold not as a box set. Just Blu-ray/DVD.

Y'all don't search before posting?

No....everyone here's knows better...LOL If we did that there would be no reason for these forums to exist..

As well I asked about streaming, not buying a DVD/BD

Edited by Catcher10 - December 21 2022 at 10:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2022 at 11:19
I watched the documentary this past weekend.  It was an odd viewing, almost uncomfortable to watch at certain points.  Without going into any details/critiques, etc. - I will say that it is most certainly not worth the $$ and leave it at that.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2022 at 14:29
I went to watch the film at the theater here in Barcelona, they did 2 sessions and at least on the one I attended it was completely full of people, and by the comments I heard at the end most people enojed it.

However I would have welcomed more a documentary of the whole career of the band, while the film, although it does contain some vintage footage and appearance of past members, is mostly centered on the 50th anniversary tour.

With a theater ticket price of 8 euros it was definitely worth it, but I wouldn't buy the DVD.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>