0 [0.00%]
4 [16.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark and Semilong (12:00-14:59)
    Posted: September 29 2022 at 01:10
A silly little follow-up to these:
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Here's links to Dark and Long, part 1, Dark and Long, part 2 - & Dark and Long part 3 this third is the final one. 30 songs, nearly 10 hours of music.

15 dark "epics" that were a couple of minutes short in length for my first three polls. As usual I steer away from the widely known and cherished darkly tinted mini-epics by progs most popular bands. And focus on the slightly more overlooked ones. Still you're all familiar with quite a few of these.

Should be something for everyone here. Really. Check them out if you know just a few (or none)

Kayo Dot - The Antique (bandcamp link to track)

Only available for premium members, but here's an INCREDIBLE live version recorded the same year

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 02:09
Some great tracks here which boil down to AZ or UZ...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 02:13
Super close between Hammill and UZ. 

Will go the latter this time. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 05:45
Herbie Hancok.

Edited by Manuel - September 29 2022 at 05:46
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 06:43
Art Zoyd
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 08:28
Tangerine Dream - Fly and Collision of Comas Sola (13:24)
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 09:33
TD
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 09:58
Tantra - Maquina da Felicidade. Great track.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 16:54
Listened to all of those I hadn't know before. Best of those is the Herbie Hancock track, but neither this nor anything else reaches Art Zoyd (as I had expected to be honest).
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2022 at 05:55
Great choices everyone! Obviously. As I selected them all. So we got Art Zoyd and Peter Hammill "in the lead" followed by Terje Rypdal, Tangerine Dream and Herbie Hancock. That's a nice quintet. 

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Listened to all of those I hadn't know before. Best of those is the Herbie Hancock track, but neither this nor anything else reaches Art Zoyd (as I had expected to be honest).
Glad you gave them a listen. As these are 15 of my favorite semilong songs I couldn't pick one over the others myself but both Etat D'urgence and Water Torture are peak music.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2022 at 17:00
Peter Hammill : A louse is not a home ( a masterpiece, VDGG Undercover !)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 02:09
Elephant9
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 10:51
Kayo Dot, ahead of Eskaton
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 01:58
Perhaps unsurprisingly the obscure and bordering on unpopular Hellebore's Umanak - Marquis De Saint Cricq is one of two songs without a vote, and without a mention. But my what a hidden gem both album and song is. In 1985 only Kate Bush and Dead Can Dance produced anthing nearly as exciting (and Art Zoyd... and a few more). Let's see what Yukorin had to say about this track in particular in his "legendary" Il Y A Des Jours review:

No.6 starts with mentally deranged vocals not unlike NWOBHM's Venom at their finest (but a world away from Tygers of Pan Tang). Similar to the I-am-Monkey-King of Vander near the end of Kohntarkosz. A surreal, long piece which absolves itself to become Ultravoxs' Vienna towards the climax only to decide to go to hell with Henry Cow. Complicated.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 19:53
I went with Tangerine Dream over Arachnoid. Took a couple of days to get through all these. I have all but the Tantra cd.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 23:13
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I went with Tangerine Dream over Arachnoid. Took a couple of days to get through all these. I have all but the Tantra cd.
Wow - I appreciate you took the effort to give them a (re)listen.

-that Tantra-album is uneven, but it's a nice little gem worth checking out - and I love this track in particular. Very french-sounding.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2022 at 00:43
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Wow - I appreciate you took the effort to give them a (re)listen.

-that Tantra-album is uneven, but it's a nice little gem worth checking out - and I love this track in particular. Very french-sounding.

I'll check Tantra out then because that's exactly what I was thinking with Arachnoid, so french sounding! Love it.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply