Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Prog albums you're fond of?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 11:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

But David missing Ryuichi Sakamoto ... the shame, the shame, ohh  the horror!

LOL
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 12:41
Mugen's The Princess of Kingdom Gone. Magical stuff!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 13:20
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

LOL
On the subject of Japanese electronic musicians, has anyone mentioned Isao Tomita yet? You say tomato and I say Tomita. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 16:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

LOL
On the subject of Japanese electronic musicians, has anyone mentioned Isao Tomita yet? You say tomato and I say Tomita. Tongue

Hi,

Hmmm ... I would think that is way too classical to be considered progressive, no? Confused
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2022 at 02:58

Far East Family Band  (J) -  Nipponjin   (1975)

Stomu Yamash'ta  (J)  Come To The Edge  -  Floating Music  (1972)

Hi,
These two are very good. But we're missing one of the very best-known Japanese composers that even has, in his closet, an Oscar for his efforts and so many soundtracks with outstanding and beautiful music, that most rockers will NEVER listen to!

Ryuichi Sakamoto deserves more attention. And the triad of crazy mixtures of "Beauty", "Heartbeat" and "Neo Geo" should be heard, and for total newbies, maybe a course on YMO would be advisable, but they will probably think it was cheap music, that by 1978 it was worthless (how quickly we forgot Kraftwerk, then!!!) ... oh wait ... how about that thrashing workshop Acid Mothers Temple with everyone and your momma?

A few others, and there are a lot of things today that are excellent, including Mono, Ghost, Album Leaf that are also doing some far-out stuff. But one in particular would be THE SADISTIC MIKA BAND that put together 3 magnificent albums including David's least favorite song ... mamma doesn't go to parties since daddy died ... and then a sumptuous and neat "hot menu" that too many rockers have never heard. I wonder if David misses Mika, who was instead taken away by someone in Roxy Music and pretty much killed the band, but to this day, the guitarist is known for his version of one piece from that album!

I guess that listening to FOREIGN music for 45 years makes a massive difference ... you tend to not forget some of the things that you heard since then! And they are difficult to not appreciate and enjoy!

I have to admit that I'm more attracted to Koenji Hyakkei, but yet, they're not enough rocking to me. Big smile

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2022 at 05:50

12           Mizutani, Kimio    A Path Through Haze          Jpn          1971      

12           Tomita    Snowflakes Are Dancing     Jpn          1974      

12           Tomita    Pictures at an Exhibition     Jpn          1975      

11           Cosmos Factory    An Old Castle of Translyvania            Jpn          1973      

11           Cosmos Factory    Black Hole             Jpn          1976      

11           Flower Travellin' Band        Satori      Jpn          1971      

11           Happy Family        Toscco    Jpn          1997    

11           KBB         Live 2004               Jpn          2005      

11           Moleslope             Slope      Jpn          2019      

11           Yamashta, Stomu & Come to the Edge           Floating Music      Jpn          1972      

11           Yamashta, Stomu, S. Winwood & M. Shrieve Go           Jpn          1976      

11           Far East Family Band           The Cave Down to the Earth              Jpn          1974      

11           Far East Family Band           Nipponjin               Jpn          1976      

11           Far East Family Band           Parallel World      Jpn          1976      

11           Far Out   Nihojin (aka Far Out)           Jpn          1972      

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 07:07

When looking at my own personal history of worshipping Japanese Prog, these are the years when I became 
fond of the albums in my collection:

Stomu Yamashta  -  Raindog  (1975)   -   1975
         Stomu Yamash'ta  (J)  Come To The Edge  -  Floating Music  (1972)   -   2000
         Far East Family Band  (J) -  Nipponjin   (1975)   -   2005
         Bi Kyo Ran  (J)  -  Bi Kyo Ran   (1982)   -   2009
         Flower Travellin’ Band   -  Made In Japan   (1972)   -   2010

Osamu Kitajima  (J)  -  Benzaiten    (1976)   -   2010

Bondage Fruit  (J)  -  II   (1996)   -   2011

Flower Travellin’ Band  (J) -  Satori   (1971)   -   2014

I can also tell that since the 70's, I've been very glad of other aspects of Japanese culture and not least movies
and some martial art, and I think it could be interesting to hear others telling a little about their encounter 
with Japanese music or other aspects of their culture. Smile

Edited by David_D - October 09 2022 at 05:03
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 07:22
Some recent Japanese favourites:-

Ars Nova  (Symphonic Prog)
Asturias  (Neo Prog)
Midas  (Symphonic Prog)
Mr. Sirius  (Canterbury Scene) 
Outer Limits  (Symphonic Prog)
Pageant  (Symphonic Prog)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 03:44

Yes, it has been quite a lot of years since I became fond of a new-to-me Japanese album the last time - 
maybe I should again do something special about it.

I've been thinking about something being particular for Japanese Prog as being a part of Japanese 
culture, but I guess that I don't know enough about the music to be able to say anything about that - 
but there's of course some influence from the traditional/classical Japanese music.

Edited by David_D - October 09 2022 at 05:07
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2022 at 05:02

Some historical lyrics though:

Flower Travellin' Band - "Hiroshima"

Once upon a summer day
In their midst, a mushroom grew
They never saw
They never, never knew

They're walking on the street
Making shadows on the wall
They're sitting on the steps
Melting into stone

Children of the mushroom
Aren't we all, aren't we all
       Cry
      (from the album Made in Japan (1972))

Edited by David_D - October 09 2022 at 05:09
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 08:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

4 stars 1974: Osamu Kitajima - Banzaiten https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZgUHBEP-rM 

I just listened to Benzaiten, and were thinking that your tastes are certainly only conservative in some ways, since you're for instance fond of this album and don't seem to find it too weird. 
I can tell about myself that I enjoy very much its "weirdness" (compared to traditional European music), but I've been also used to traditional Japanese culture since the 70's when I saw the first samurai movies. Tongue

Edited by David_D - November 15 2022 at 02:59
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 07:02
Electric Asturias -  Fractals
KBB - Lost and Found
Yuka and Chronoship - Dino Rocket Oxygen or The 3rd Planetary Chronicles
Gerard - Keyboard Triangle II
Kiyosen - Chocolate Booster
Outer Limits - The Scene of Pale Blue

“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
DarkLizzard View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkLizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2023 at 02:20
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape/Scenes from Hell
Hiromi - Spark
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2023 at 07:35
Originally posted by DarkLizzard DarkLizzard wrote:

Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape/Scenes from Hell
Hiromi - Spark

I don't think I've seen you around here before, so my hello to you. Smile

Edited by David_D - February 15 2023 at 12:34
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2023 at 10:34
Yoshiko Sai -- any of her albums from the 70s..

https://youtu.be/MYmb2Q-ttcw
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2023 at 15:58
Flat 122 - The Waves CD (album) cover
Flat 122  The Waves

Le Silo - 8.8 CD (album) cover
Le Silo  8.8

Muddy World - Finery of the Storm CD (album) cover
Muddy World  Finery of the Storm

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2023 at 03:27
Twenty years ago, I had CDs of Ars Nova, Gerard (80's), KBB, Mugen, Outer Limits, Pageant, Pale Acute Moon, and Six North.

When I first listened to an album of Gerard from the 80's, I laughed hearing the vocals in Japanese.

So I only have 2 CDs of KBB and one of Gerard (90's).

And I almost have the same point of view for 70's Italian progressive rock and old bands from my country like Ange and Magma.

Edited by PhideauxFan - February 17 2023 at 03:42
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2023 at 13:42
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Twenty years ago, I had CDs of Ars Nova, Gerard (80's), KBB, Mugen, Outer Limits, Pageant, Pale Acute Moon, and Six North.

When I first listened to an album of Gerard from the 80's, I laughed hearing the vocals in Japanese.

So I only have 2 CDs of KBB and one of Gerard (90's).

The first times I heard Japanese in some samurai movies many years ago, I didn't like it either. But then I got used to it, and after I've seen a lot of Japanese movies the last 5-10, I actually really love to hear it. I can't quite say concerning Japanese vocals, as I haven't heard so many of them - but I haven't notice anything there bothering me.

Edited by David_D - February 17 2023 at 17:05
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2023 at 23:06

Now I remember that Osamu Kitajima's vocals on Benzaiten sound weird to me, but I actually like quite a lot that weirdness. Tongue
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2023 at 07:59
These are some of my favorites:

Yuka & Chronoship "Dino Rocket Oxygen"
Kenso III
Shingetsu s/t
Asturias "At The Edge Of The World"
Midas "Beyond The Clear Air"
JA Caesar "Kokkyo Junreika"
Far East Family Band "Parallel World"

Long live Japanese Prog!!!
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>