Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

With or Without Orchestra/Choir?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What kind of producer do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [11.54%]
4 [15.38%]
19 [73.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: With or Without Orchestra/Choir?
    Posted: October 01 2022 at 11:25
Let's say that the "Just the band" guy can be epitomized by people like Eddy Offord or David Hentschel, and the "Add some Orchestra/Choir" guy is represented by the likes of George Martin or Bob Ezrin. Alan Parsons is a case of both teams player, I suppose.

Two previous polls of mine may serve as reference:

Eddy Offord poll: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126404

Parsons vs Ezrin poll: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129557
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 12:10
Just the band
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 13:33
It all depends on its use, an Orchestra/Choir can be a wonderful addition to a piece of music if it enhances and not overshadows the song. I wasn't a fan of "The Wall of Sound". I prefer The Beatles "Let It Be Naked" over the Phil Spector debacle.

Both
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 14:25
Both
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 14:31
Both for me. I never had a problem with the strings on Time and a Word but certainly didn't miss them on The Yes Album.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 14:31
generaaly band, unless the band wants the extras 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 16:21
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

It all depends on its use, an Orchestra/Choir can be a wonderful addition to a piece of music if it enhances and not overshadows the song. I wasn't a fan of "The Wall of Sound". I prefer The Beatles "Let It Be Naked" over the Phil Spector debacle.

Both

same here
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 16:35
Both of course. Some pieces of music are most enjoyable with just one instrument and a voice, some other with the whole the band, while others need to have a full orchestra to fully blossom.

Edited by Manuel - October 01 2022 at 22:46
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 17:25
Some orchestral additions are pretty naff, but when it's done well, it can be fantastic (eg La Princesse Perdue).
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 22:21
Worked well for Snarky Puppy on their magnum opus, Sylva.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 01:04
Both
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 01:08
Reneissance at Carnegie Hall and Atom Heart Mother are two of my favorite albums, so...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 05:41
Both . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 07:07
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Reneissance at Carnegie Hall and Atom Heart Mother are two of my favorite albums, so...

Renaissance's music just lends itself to being orchestrated, doesn't it? It's one of those classic live albums where the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts... Star
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 08:16
It's got to be both. But a lot of added orchestra in a rock context (prog rock included) feels exactly like it's added - without adding anything of substance. I really love it when it works though. In disco, soul, pop, folk, jazz and every thinkable genre.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 21:40
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I would add Rick Wakeman to them. Specially the King Arthur album.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 23:49
There's skillful use of an orchestra and then there's use of an orchestra as background music. The best bands and producers know how to use an orchestra and Phil Spector is probably the best example of how to use an orchestra.
 Post Reply Post Reply