Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions related to time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions related to time
    Posted: October 02 2022 at 18:02
Question 1: How long would it take to run through every catalog of every artist on PA?

Question 2: Is there a way to determine how long it would take to run through the catalog of a specific artist in PA?

Question 3: What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 18:59
Well apparently there are 69,000 albums on here, so average length 45 minutes, so around 52,000 hours

Look at their discography and multiply by 0.75 hours

African or European?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2022 at 19:31
^ About 6 years worth. Whoa! That’s a lot of Prog. I wonder what is the most anyone has plowed through.

African … no European … NOOOOO!!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 00:25
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

^ About 6 years worth. Whoa! That’s a lot of Prog. I wonder what is the most anyone has plowed through.

On average, I've listened to eight albums a day in the three years I've been here, which works out at roughly 8,800 albums in total. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 03 2022 at 00:27
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 00:41
Stuff working through the entire PA database. I’m not sure I have time even to work through my entire cd collection (let alone the downloaded releases I’ve added in more recent years)!

I remember back in the ‘90s, when I was at uni and in my first flat, one of my flatmates looked at my cds (which back then were probably a tenth of what I own now) and asked if I ever found time to listen to them all - or even if I could manage to listen to them all in a year. I bought a diary just so I could record what I listened to (since I had no intention of simply working my way through alphabetically), and didn’t change my listening habits. I was sure I did listen to all of my cds, and would do so within a year, but as time went on, I realised just how much time it takes to listen to everything. I think we sometimes forget how little time there often is to properly listen to an album. I did manage to listen to everything in a year (just), but that probably means I would have no chance these days. Even though I now have more time to do so, I have a lot more to listen to. I long for retirement, so I can listen as much as I would like to.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 01:30
I have a wall cabinet which holds 352 Jewel case CD's. That's it. When it's full, I have sell a few on ebay if I want to buy more to put in their place; that way, they will all get at least a couple of listens each year; otherwise there's no point in keeping them. I simply can't justify the storage of thousands of CDs; I don't have the money and certainly don't have the room. If I want to listen to something as a one off for purely nostalgic reasons, then it's Spotify or Yt. Of course, Box Sets and card slipcase CD's help, as I can keep a few extra.

I suppose the downside of this is that I'm not especially adventurous in listening to tonnes of new music; I tend to get too comfortable with what I know and like... 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 01:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well apparently there are 69,000 albums on here, so average length 45 minutes, so around 52,000 hours

African or European?

I think that might be a conservative estimate on length time Ian, as most 'more recent' albums would tend to be nearer 60 mins, and we haven't taken into account double albums and box sets. You be safer going for 65 minutes, I think. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 02:06
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I have a wall cabinet which holds 352 Jewel case CD's. That's it. When it's full, I have sell a few on ebay if I want to buy more to put in their place; that way, they will all get at least a couple of listens each year; otherwise there's no point in keeping them. I simply can't justify the storage of thousands of CDs; I don't have the money and certainly don't have the room. If I want to listen to something as a one off for purely nostalgic reasons, then it's Spotify or Yt. Of course, Box Sets and card slipcase CD's help, as I can keep a few extra.

I currently have around 3,100 albums in my CD collection and whenever all of my CD racks are filled to capacity - which is often - I never give away or sell CD's to create more space. 
I simply go out and buy another CD rack. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 03 2022 at 02:07
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 05:07

African or European?

I think that might be a conservative estimate on length time Ian, as most 'more recent' albums would tend to be nearer 60 mins, and we haven't taken into account double albums and box sets. You be safer going for 65 minutes, I think. Smile

Just checked my collection of 2500 albums and they average 55 minutes so let's split the difference
Ian

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 10:18
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

On average, I've listened to eight albums a day in the three years I've been here, which works out at roughly 8,800 albums in total. Smile

That’s impressive! I hope PA is backed up on several servers. We don’t want another “burning of the Library of Alexandria” situation when hard drives fail.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 11:18

I suppose the downside of this is that I'm not especially adventurous in listening to tonnes of new music; I tend to get too comfortable with what I know and like... 

I'm beginning to think you're right there Jared. I used to think I needed to listen to as much as possible but there's too much to listen to so now I tend to stick to the bands I know.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 11:47
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm beginning to think you're right there Jared. I used to think I needed to listen to as much as possible but there's too much to listen to so now I tend to stick to the bands I know.

I think in the early days of Prog Archives, when the internet was still a relatively new phenomenon, a whole new world of accessibility to new music was opened up to us and we were driven by the 'fear of missing out'. We had to keep trying new artists because reviewers said they were like the ones we already knew, only better, and we always thought there was better music out there, which would stop us in our tracks, if only we could find it.

Well, you know what? I've gradually become quite comfortable with the idea that there's always going to be a shed load of music out there that I would love, but through limitations of time and resources, I'm never going to hear. Furthermore, I'm actually getting great pleasure listening to bands I enjoyed in my late teens and 20's, which is why I'm presently playing 'A Trick Of The Tail' for the umpteenth hundredth time... Smile 

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 12:26
I really really couldn't do that, frankly I'm a bit jealous. I'm annoyed I can't get my full collection on my phone. The exploring is one of the things for me.
Ian

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 12:32

I really really couldn't do that, frankly I'm a bit jealous. I'm annoyed I can't get my full collection on my phone. The exploring is one of the things for me.

Well, I don't even own a mobile phone, let alone one you can put music on to. Of course, I have a laptop, but I wouldn't know how to download music onto this either... I just play my CDs from its side tray.. Smile 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 12:41

Well, I don't even own a mobile phone, let alone one you can put music on to. Of course, I have a laptop, but I wouldn't know how to download music onto this either... I just play my CDs from its side tray.. Smile 
I don't own a mobile phone either, but I do have two laptops - one for listening to music and the other one for watching TV shows and movies. Smile
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 15:26
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I don't own a mobile phone either, but I do have two laptops - one for listening to music and the other one for watching TV shows and movies. Smile

Ah! two fellow near-luddites.. 99% of my 2500+ lps are on vinyl and my car only has a cassette player.. i have got some cds which are of things mostly that i cant track down on vinyl.. i have got a mobile phone but only because of work.. 'Hey, do you want to watch high definition tv on your phone?' 'No.. cos its a phone..'

When i saw this thread my first thought was the old Cheech and Chong sketch ' Hey Hippie, you wanna buy a watch?' 'er.. no thanks man, i'm not into time...'

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2022 at 15:38
* Cheech and Chong: "Hey! Waas Sappening, Man" Smile

Post Reply Post Reply