Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 5 acts with 5 studio albums between 2010 and now
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 acts with 5 studio albums between 2010 and now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Your favoured of these based on the five studio albums?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [19.35%]
8 [25.81%]
7 [22.58%]
6 [19.35%]
4 [12.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 acts with 5 studio albums between 2010 and now
    Posted: November 06 2022 at 15:28
Five acts in PA with five studio albums released between the start of 2010 and now (early November, 2022). Which of these is your favoured based on the five albums (and what you know)?

Dream Theater: A Dramatic Turn of Events (2011), Dream Theater (2013), The Astonishing (2016), Distance Over Time (2019), A View from the Top of the World (2021)

The Flower Kings: Banks of Eden (2012), Desolation Rose (2013), Waiting for Miracles (2019), Islands (2020), By Royal Decree (2022)

Magenta: Chameleon (2011), The Twenty Seven Club (2013), We Are Legend (2017), Masters of Illusion (2020), The White Witch - A Symphonic Trilogy (2022)

Swans: My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky (2010), The Seer (2012), To Be Kind (2014), The Glowing Man (2016), leaving meaning. (2019)

Anna von Hausswolff: Singing From the Grave (2010), Ceremony (2012), The Miraculous (2015), Dead Magic (2018), All Thoughts Fly (2020)

For me, it's between Swans and Anna von Hausswolff. My top three von Hausswolff would be Dead Magic, The Miraculous and Ceremony, and my top three Swans would be The Glowing Man, To Be Kind and The Seer (also like leaving meaning. a lot). With both acts, the 2010 releases haven't done much for me. I am leaning towards Swans because I am more likely to turn to leaving meaning (which features von Hausswolff's backing vocals) than All Thoughts Fly, but then I listened again to All Thoughts Fly last night in bed and its minimalistic ambient qualities opened up to me much more than they had before (I do miss having vocals, however, despite loving so much instrumental music). Still, too hard for me to choose now and I have been on a very big von Hausswolff kick for quite some time, and a huge Swans one before that.

Please try to vote for one from the list if you can but also please feel free to mention others with five studio albums (rather than more than five or less than five) that were released between the start of 2010 and, say, the first of November, 2022.

Edited by Logan - November 06 2022 at 15:30
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 15:36
The legendary Magenta - and thanks for giving their 2022 album a mention, which I wasn't aware of until now. Thumbs Up
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 15:45

Swans, as at least having one album (To Be Kind) which I've found so far to be enough fond of.

Edited by David_D - November 06 2022 at 16:39
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 15:46
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The legendary Magenta - and thanks for giving their 2022 album a mention, which I wasn't aware of until now. Thumbs Up

Released on this recent Halloween, which seems suitable for an album with Witch in the title -- although a black witch seems rather more suitable than a white witch to me, but white witches are also generally more socially acceptable (white witches lives matter). It's also more acceptable to send one's child out as a ghost wearing a white sheet than a black sheet when trick-or-treating (makes one more visible to cars and such), but white sheets that look like KKK garb are right out!

Edited by Logan - November 06 2022 at 15:48
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 16:21
^ Now that's a conversation killer.

----------------------------------------------

I had meant to ask in the OP but forgot to, but I would love to hear from people what are their top albums by the act from the period, or how would you rank them?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 16:32
I'll go with Anna von Hausswolff with Ceremony probably my favorite of hers, Swans - To Be Kind is probably my top album but prefer the full range of AvH
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 16:38
Swans > Anna von Hausswolff
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 16:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I had meant to ask in the OP but forgot to, but I would love to hear from people what are their top albums by the act from the period, or how would you rank them?

"Swans, as at least having one album (To Be Kind) which I've found so far to be enough fond of."
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 16:47
Anna!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 19:30
The Flower Kings.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 19:50
Anna, for sure.

Also like the five by The Amazing, Björn Riis, Caligula's Horse, Comedy of Errors, Corde Oblique, Dreadnaught, IOEarth, Jordsjø, Karda Estra, Leap Day, The Mercury Tree, Moulettes (Hannah Moule and the), The Psychedelic Ensemble, and Von Hertzen Brothers. 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 20:30
The Flower Kings, Magenta, and Dream Theater.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 22:22
1. The Flower Kings
2. Magenta
3. Dream Theater
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 03:25
I've got the latest Magenta album on order so best I wait until that's in my hands.

The Flower Kings are the only serious competition on here though.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 03:36
Magenta, I guess, out of these
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 05:39
The Flower Kings . . 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 07:25
Not surprised to see the Flower Kings with the most votes as those albums are very well-rated at Prog Archives. I am pleased to see Swans and Anna von Hausswolff (my clear faves) getting as many votes as they are and Anna von H. getting as much positive commentary in this thread as she is (Dead Magic and The Miraculous are my particular faves of hers, but Ceremony is pretty much up there too) -- I would recommend that many a Progger check out The Miraculous and Dead Magic (I was tempted to do a The Miraculous vs. The Astonishing poll, especially if I found enough sufficiently relevant to Prog albums like The Awesome, The Amazing, The Astounding, The Fantastic, the Phenomenal, The Marvelous, "The Dang, What Up With That?"). She has an experimental edge but also is very melodic with post-rock qualities. Much of it should be pretty accessible to the more melodic rock music minded (she is in Crossover) even though she seems to appeal more to the people who appreciate much avant-prog here from my forum experience (rather than those who are more into neo-prog for instance).

And thanks for the list of others, Drew. There is plenty there that I would like to check out. From my list, only with Swans and Anna von H. have I heard all the albums, and in fact I have not heard that much of the other three in my poll as they tend to be quite outside my wheelhouse. But often I am hoping to discover new-to-me-music, learn, and broaden my horizons in topics I make just as I hope other do too from the discussion, thoughts and examples given.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 09:02
Not that I put much stock in ratings often even though they interest me, but sometimes I like to compare the ratings and numbers of raters at PA (Prog Archives)and RYM (Rate Your Music) with poll results and the commentary such as which albums are being indicated as favoured in the posts.

With Dream Theater, the albums are rated this way at PA and RYM:

- A Dramatic Turn of Events: 3.84 with 1734 ratings at PA and 3.06 with 3,436 ratings at RYM.
- Dream Theater: 3.25 with 1058 ratings at PA and 2.95 with 2,691 ratings at RYM
- The Astonishing: 3.27 with 818 ratings at PA and 2.14 with 2,626 ratings at RYM
- Distance Over Time: 3.67 with 437 ratings at PA and 3.18 with 2,241 ratings at RYM
- A View from the Top of the World: 3.81 with 269 ratings at PA and 3.23 with 1,322 ratings at RYM

With The Flower Kings, the albums are rated at PA and RYM as:

- Banks of Eden: 4.06 with 874 ratings at PA and 3.60 with 459 ratings at RYM
- Desolation Rose: 3.97 and 651 ratings at PA and 3.60 with 332 ratings at RYM
- Waiting for Miracles: 3.66 with 272 ratings at PA and 3.55 with 216 ratings at RYM
- Islands: 3.83 with 216 ratings at PA and 3.51 with 207 ratings at RYM
- By Royal Decree: 3.95 with 107 ratings at PA and 3.34 with 164 ratings at RYM

For Magenta:

- Chameleon: 3.67 with 156 ratings at PA and 3.64 with 94 ratings at RYM
- The Twenty Seven Club: 3.84 with 232 ratings at PA and 3.73 with 135 ratings at RYM
- We Are Legend: 3.84 with 154 ratings at PA and 3.57 with 111 ratings at RYM
- Masters of Illusion: 3.82 with 94 ratings at PA and 3.89 with 96 ratings at RYM
- The White Witch - A Symphonic Trilogy: 5.00 with 1 rating at PA and 3.68 with 6 ratings at RYM (it only came out on Halloween)

For Swans:

- My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky: 3.80 with 57 ratings at PA and 3.45 with 8,022 ratings at RYM
- The Seer: 3.97 with 182 ratings at PA and 3.95 with 18,595 ratings at RYM
- To Be Kind: 3.98 with 219 ratings at PA and 4.01 with 23,596 ratings at RYM
- The Glowing Man: 3.90 with 91 ratings at PA and 3.86 with 11,400 ratings at RYM
- leaving meaning. - 3.85 with 27 ratings at PA and 3.53 with 8,280 ratings at RYM

For Anna von Hausswolff:

- Singing from the Grave: 3.82 with 11 ratings at PA and 3.35 with 809 ratings at RYM
- Ceremony: 4.13 with 23 ratings at PA and 3.60 with 2,036 ratings at RYM
- The Miraculous: 3.88 with 24 ratings at PA and 3.60 with 2,036 ratings at RYM
- Dead Magic: 3.91 with 159 ratings at PA and 3.89 with 9,979 ratings at RYM
- All Thoughts Fly: 3.84 with 41 ratings at PA and 3.48 with 3,333 ratings at RYM

Note: While RYM is a much bigger site and has a quite a different audiences overall, with overlap as some rate/ review on both sites, and has a somewhat different rating scale and different algorithm, it is interesting how different the sites are in terms of popularity of various acts under the Prog label here.

Edited by Logan - November 07 2022 at 09:18
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 09:03
Voted Swans.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 11:46
DT, but not my fave from them.

Others that meet the criteria.
Thank You Scientist
Lonely Robot
Sanguine Hum
The Aristocrats
French TV
The Psychedelic Ensemble

Of those, I choose TYS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>