Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Nik Turner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Nik Turner
    Posted: November 11 2022 at 12:28
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 12:33
Oh God, how very sad....

Thank you Nik, for your unique sound, enjoyed by so many, myself included. May you rest in peace.. Cry
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 12:41
Sorry to hear that Space Gypsy Nik Turner is no longer with us, having reached The Final Frontier. Let's hope there's Life in Space too, where his Space Rock power chords will be infused with Interstellar Energy.  I've been a fan of Nik Turner for several weeks now, ever since listening to all of his albums for the first time back in September of this year. Embarrassed Broken Heart

4 stars 2018: Nik Turner & Youth - Pharaohs from Outer Space - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mgDyHrbPuw3H67x80BVJ7tLVYyxMd9Wqo
4 stars 2020: Nik Turner & Youth - Interstellar Energy - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5mxDeg0WY5L422R9sFB2rzS5FKswGFeJ
4 stars 2022: Nik Turner & the Trance Dimensionals - Synchronicity - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lg6w1bnTIjr9EEl8i_gLLakrYrUwf3j5I

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 11 2022 at 13:37
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 13:22
Well, extremely sad news. A legend has gone to the other side.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 13:28
Sad news, will give Space Ritual a spin in remembrance, one of the greatest live albums of all time
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 13:33
RIP

Bought Doremi Fasol Latido, my first Hawkwind album, in 1973 in a delete bin for $3. Then eventually Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music because of the art work. By the mid/late eighties I was populating my CD collection and added several more titles.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 13:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Sad news, will give Space Ritual a spin in remembrance, one of the greatest live albums of all time
Nik’s band has its own double live album called Space Ritual 1994. It rips! I may play that next.
RIP Nik. Loved yr work
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 14:26
My first exposure to Hawkwind was a Nik Turner interview I heard on the radio during the mid '70s. One of the things I liked was that "Opa Loka" was playing in the background during the interview. So, not only is "Opa Loka" a great track to listen to, but it is also a great backdrop to an interview of Nik Turner.

This interview played a significant role in me getting into Hawkwind. I have said before that it was a bootleg version of Pink Floyd - "Echoes" that got me into Hawkwind, but without the interview, that would never have happened.

R.I.P. Nik Turner. Cry

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 14:32
His remains should be entombed in the Great Pyramid at Giza...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 14:36
RIP Nick, Thanks for your music and vibes
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 14:52
R.I.P.

Listening to Space Ritual right now.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 15:24
This is such sad news.. he really, really was the dude.. rest in peace NikCry

Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 00:18
Goddam it. Literally found out about this when I was looking up 'Bones Of Elvis' by ICU on Youtube.

Nik sent me a c-90 tape for my radio show in about 1984.  It was completely insane.  He was pretending to be some other person interviewing me, about Nik's career, and then replying by blowing extended freeform passages of sax. Or something like that.  It turned up just after I'd been kicked off air, and by the time I came back nearly three years later, it was still completely nuts and quite impossible to edit into anything coherent, but god it was funny.

Nik was also one of the few people at the time who realised the rather obvious connection between hippies and punks.

Tim Gadd.

Edited by Braka1 - November 12 2022 at 00:47

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 02:17
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Goddam it. Literally found out about this when I was looking up 'Bones Of Elvis' by ICU on Youtube.

Nik sent me a c-90 tape for my radio show in about 1984.  It was completely insane.  He was pretending to be some other person interviewing me, about Nik's career, and then replying by blowing extended freeform passages of sax. Or something like that.  It turned up just after I'd been kicked off air, and by the time I came back nearly three years later, it was still completely nuts and quite impossible to edit into anything coherent, but god it was funny.

Nik was also one of the few people at the time who realised the rather obvious connection between hippies and punks.

Tim Gadd.

Great post and lovely memory, Tim. Thanks for posting. Smile
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 02:33
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Great post and lovely memory, Tim. Thanks for posting. Smile

No worries.  I'd been dreading this, tbh.   At the moment I'm transported back to the day way when a mysterious overseas letter turned up for me at work, which turned out to be someone telling me that Bob Calvert had died. I hope the two mad buggers are having fun together.   

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 18:04
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

His remains should be entombed in the Great Pyramid at Giza...

Great idea man. You guys just have to look at my reviews to read what a fan I was of his solo work. Have most of it and to be honest I have been blown away at the quality of music this man has left us with from late in his career. Some 5 star beauties in there and the other marvelous thing was the musicians who played on Nik's albums, he clearly was hugely respected by his peers. Love you Nik.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
TheNefariousHED View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2022 at 08:29
Crushing news on Friday.

Listened to Nik's solo Space Ritual album...

That one time he almost got us arrested in Alabama...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 05:45
Really sad news. He will surely be missed by many. May he rest in peace.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 06:17
Seriously, can you imagine him resting in peace? Embarrassed

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 10:31
I thought that Nik was immortal like Keith Richards. What a shock! I last saw him when he toured for his excellent Space Gypsy album. RIP Nik. You'll be missed.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>