Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro Tull - New Album Next Year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull - New Album Next Year
    Posted: November 18 2022 at 14:14
Tull's 23rd studio album is ready and coming, according to Ian Anderson:

“We have been putting the finishing touches to the artwork for the album cover and wrapped up the recording and mixing a few weeks ago. Due to the usual long wait for vinyl pressing and manufacturing, we are scheduled for an Spring 2023 release but, during the weeks and months to come, you will be hearing more about the record and the various formats which will be available. 

It’s a little too early just yet to tease you with titles, tracklists and content, but rest assured that it is all done and dusted as to mastering and the main elements of art and packaging. I hope you will like the concept and themes when I am ready to tell you more. It has been a long and tricky job to get the material recorded during a hectic schedule of touring in these last months. A day here, a day there and the odd burst of a few days together at some points along the way. 

I wrote the main themes and lyrics back in January of this year and sent the first demos to the band in February and March, much as I did with The Zealot Gene, back in 2017. Most of the recording took place in June and August with the stereo mixing done in September. My new pal Bruce Soord of The Pineapple Thief undertook to create the surround sound mixes and an alternative stereo mix too.”

Ian Anderson - Flute, acoustic guitar, harmonica, vocals
David Goodier - Bass guitar
John O’Hara - Piano, keyboards and accordion
Scott Hammond – Drums.
Joe Parrish-James – Guitar

Source: https://www.progradar.org/index.php/2022/11/17/jethro-tull-finish-work-on-their-23rd-studio-album-due-for-release-in-spring-2023/

Edited by Heart of the Matter - November 18 2022 at 14:19
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 14:37
Hmmm. It couldn’t possibly be as bad as The Zealot Gene, surely?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 14:40
Still haven't gotten around to TZG. But I'll try and liten to this one as well. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 15:10
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I don't know, was it that bad? A more tight and creative rhythm section would've been fine, if I had to point out the weak spot.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 15:48
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I don't know, was it that bad? A more tight and creative rhythm section would've been fine, if I had to point out the weak spot.

It was extremely average.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 16:18
Musicians need to create, and many do until the day they die. Although the last Tull release was a snooze fest for me, I'm sure plenty will praise the new album. Rock on Ian.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2022 at 08:34
why does he hate the real Tull guitarist again?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2022 at 11:38
Let's see what he has ro give in this coming album. As usual, some will love it and others hate it. But you cannot blame the man for trying his best, even now, when he's in his 70's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2022 at 12:52
^^ He's got a new batch of songs, that's all I need to know for now. As for the Ian-Martin neverending crisis, maybe it's just a matter of "he doesn't call me, so I don't call him either", who knows. Or maybe a drop of reciprocal tolerance in older men...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2022 at 10:01
I enjoyed The Zealot Gene for what it is. A seventy something band leader who lost his voice making the best of it. The acoustic songs were stunning. Bring on the new album! Ian is never too old to rock and roll. Or just roll, as maybe the case.

Edited by SteveG - November 27 2022 at 10:08
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2022 at 15:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I enjoyed The Zealot Gene for what it is. A seventy something band leader who lost his voice making the best of it. The acoustic songs were stunning. Bring on the new album! Ian is never too old to rock and roll. Or just roll, as maybe the case.

That's the spirit, Steve. I was missing your input around here!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2022 at 16:42
'Here's the thing: sometimes appreciation of an artist is almost absolute. High points and low, blatant sellouts, uninspired contract-fulfillers and what-were-they-thinking moments, it's all of interest to the diehard fan.  Not because followers are blind, deaf or gullible, but because they want to hear any new work by a band proven over years to produce music a true devotee will probably dig.'

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2022 at 00:53
Being a bit of a completionist, I'll probably listen to this anyway. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2022 at 04:40
Speaking for myself, if I didn't leave the ship after Under Wraps, I'm not going to leave now.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2022 at 07:09
I think what Ian did to suit his diminished voice on The Zealot Gene was ingenius. He really has no ability to forcefully sing and tailors songs to accommodate that deficit quite well. So, bring on The Zealot Gene part 2 (The Zealot Embryo?), Ian!

Edited by SteveG - November 28 2022 at 07:11
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2022 at 07:19
Since I expect that The Zealot Gene is a play on Richard Dawkins' famous The Selfish Gene, maybe Ian Anderson will play off another famous Dawkins' book title, turning the God Delusion into The Prog Illusion.

Edited by Logan - November 28 2022 at 07:19
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2022 at 11:26
Didn't care that much for Zealot Gene but I'll always give a listen to Ian Anderson and Tull in whatever form it takes.

Edited by dr wu23 - November 28 2022 at 11:26
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2022 at 15:05
I wonder what will be the impact of Ian's "new pal Bruce Soord" in the way they sound...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2022 at 13:46
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

I wonder what will be the impact of Ian's "new pal Bruce Soord" in the way they sound...
Hmm. Either a Steven Wilson clone in the sound mix or something completely off the wall. Lol. We'll just have to see.
 Post Reply Post Reply