Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShub-Niggurath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shub-Niggurath
    Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:00
I've just beeing listening to the sample on the site from this band and i must say i'm very much intrigued. I've noticed that there don't seem to be any topics about them on here though. I'm eager for some more sites containing info on them, or better yet - samples! It's proving very difficult to achieve for me though so i was hoping i might get some help here.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:25
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:48
Noisy buggers.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:55
Noise is GOOOOOD!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:56
Agreed.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 08:00
My mother's name was Shub-Niggurath!!

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Politician View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 10:16
They were a fine band, blending elements of zeuhl, RIO and neoclassical
dissonance on the fringes of the avant garde.
Mnemosyne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 12:37
great band indeed, one of the gretest in the Zeuhl genre, probably the most dissonant one...
I'm a Man-Owl-Fish.
Creator-Observer-Muse.
progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 15:33
Damn hard to find out anything about these guys online except for Phil Kime's site (linked above). There are a couple reviews at Ground & Sky of Les Morts Vont Vite (one of my absolute favorite albums of all time - imagine something as dark and evil as Univers Zero's Heresie but a hell of a lot louder and meaner) and the live album that's only been released on cassette. I also have been meaning to review their debut, which also has only ever been released on cassette.

I've heard the later albums after Les Morts Vont Vite are kind of lackluster, especially the one released a couple years ago.

Here are the reviews:
Les Morts Vont Vite
Live
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 15:54
Shub Niggurath raise obscurity to a new level - I got into them via this site, love Les Morts Vont Vite but aside from the info on GAS and Phil Kime's site I'm pretty much in the dark about them. They do seem to have a bit of a cult following on this site though, maybe somebody knows them personally or has more info?
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Reverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 20:26
Thanks for the info guys  Looks like if i want to hear any more i'm going to have to purchase something, which i would probably do regardless. And i do! ...want to hear more that is
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 11:20

I have one album, and I hate it. Magma copy in disguise. But if you're thinking about buying one of them, be carefull; there's another band called "Shubb Niggurath" (please notice the extra B), wich is a horrible, horrible trash metal band.

I'll stick with the 3/5 good Magma albums. One thing is to be inspired by, and another is to steal material...

Now I remember: I have a copy of "Les vies et les mortes". Bored me to death (I did liked the second track, but that was all. The rest of it was the same sequence for just too many minutes. This is a resource that can be very suitable on music, but not this time). Anyway, the reasons for one to like something are misterious. I offer you this, my humble appreciation: Shub Niggurath is a "Goth" Magma. Like a Green Batman, or an Orange Superman, or like those "CASSIO" products (ADIBAS, NIKKE, or an IVM computer, etc.).

Like we say here, it's a "Mule" (I'll explain this if asked)

ĦBeware of the Bee!

progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 12:08
Interesting. I've always thought the Magma comparisons are misplaced. There's the monstrous bass, but the repetition is used very differently, the vocal stylings are totally different, and the whole affair is a lot noisier and freer than the heavily-composed works of Magma. And there's a hell of a lot less melody in the conventional sense - Les Morts Vont Vite is much more "difficult" than most Magma IMHO! And definitely a lot meaner and darker.

I think that comparisons to early Present and Univers Zero are much more useful.

To Reverie: the only good one you can find is Les Morts Vont Vite; unfortunately the self-titled debut and the live album are both long out of print (and as I mentioned, were never released on LP or CD, only on cassette). But LMVV is the absolute classic of the bunch, so it's good that it's the one still in print.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 12:43

http://mitglied.lycos.de/RafaelKozub/zeu/p/art/1.htm

Small sample plus lots of info (in German)

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 14:11

Originally posted by progreviews progreviews wrote:

Interesting. I've always thought the Magma comparisons are misplaced. There's the monstrous bass, but the repetition is used very differently, the vocal stylings are totally different, and the whole affair is a lot noisier and freer than the heavily-composed works of Magma. And there's a hell of a lot less melody in the conventional sense - Les Morts Vont Vite is much more "difficult" than most Magma IMHO! And definitely a lot meaner and darker.

I think that comparisons to early Present and Univers Zero are much more useful.

To Reverie: the only good one you can find is Les Morts Vont Vite; unfortunately the self-titled debut and the live album are both long out of print (and as I mentioned, were never released on LP or CD, only on cassette). But LMVV is the absolute classic of the bunch, so it's good that it's the one still in print.

Agreed - while there are superficial similarites to Magma, it's a bit like saying that ELP and Egg do the same thing because they're both keyboard/bass/drums trios who occasionally use classical themes in their music.

Certified recently posted an extremely perceptive review here

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=51524

the brainy git!

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 15:24
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Certified recently posted an extremely perceptive review here

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=51524

the brainy git!

Will that be the usual £10, or are you STILL after my copy of "Tips Zum Selbstmord" by Necronomicon?

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 18:48

Originally posted by progreviews progreviews wrote:

Well, that's your opinion. I respect that. As I said, Shub niggurath is a "Green Batman" to me. I dont care if they happen to use a different guitar. Les mortes von vite is (to me) an extended version of Khontarkosz, with a dark touch and a lady screaming the same three notes on every track. I'm glad I didn't bought it. Sorry .

ĦBeware of the Bee!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 09:48
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Agreed - while there are superficial similarites to Magma, it's a bit like saying that ELP and Egg do the same thing because they're both keyboard/bass/drums trios who occasionally use classical themes in their music.

I've seen an egg review that did just that. I was a bit perplexed.

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 14:25
while I (regrettably) have not heard any Magma, so I cannot chime in on the debate, I do think Les Morts Vont Vite is one of the darkest albums I own, if not THE darkest.  This stuff is brilliant!  If dissonance and dark/complex music were a drug, this would be the crack of prog rock.....I am simply addicted and cannot get enough!  I also have their last one, which is less structured and well, more avant garde, but in a really obnoxious and great way!  excellent band!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 14:31
I'll ditto the love for Shub-Niggurath.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>