Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EP from excellent brazilian prog band

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arymenezes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EP from excellent brazilian prog band
    Posted: December 07 2022 at 16:28
Brasília, political capital of the country, and located on the central-west region of Brazil,, was very fertile on the 80's pop-rock scene of Brazil. On the realm of progressive rock, the southeast region of the country is definitely the major place from where the majority of the good groups come from. More recently, a band called Almirante Shiva included Brasília as a city that can deliver some great prog rock.
At the beginning of their career, they were more interested in playing to public than in recording a studio album. And the local press, despite restrictions on progressive rock, praised them both for the musicianship and there energy at the shows. Maybe there self-presentation as a psychedelic rock band (instead of a self-denomination as a progressive rock group) helped this good reception.
Things evolved in a way that they didn't release an album, even though the length of the EPs they recorded could make a work with at least 35min. So, here I'm requesting the inclusion of their first EP, titled 2015. The year it was recorded. The link to hear it on youtube is Almirante Shiva - EP (2015) - YouTube. Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXH_WsKDVnQ . It's also available on Spotify.
Lyrics are in portuguese. Three of the musicians sing, and the vocal arrangements are outstanding. I'll briefly analyze the musicallity. The first of the three tracks is the apex of the work, very energetic, with lots of psychedelic interventions from guitar. Second track starts on the same vibe, but soon gets slower, offering a pleasent space-rock trip. I reinforce that vocals always make good partnership with the instrumental executions. And the contribution of the bass and drums for rythmic sections are very elaborate and criative. Third track starts as a continuation of second. It soon gets more energetic, delivers some good guitar solos, before a break to introduce a very complex groovy prog.
An year after this EP they recorded another, another great contributions for prog rock (and for psychedelic rock), but some months later the bassist died, and the group made a hiatus. They returned some years later, with another bassist. I don't know if they're active these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply