Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Murdock for Jazz Rock/Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark Murdock for Jazz Rock/Fusion
    Posted: December 31 2022 at 15:06
MARK MURDOCK is a multi-instrumentalist and composer from Tokyo, Japan. MARK MURDOCK is most well-known for being the brainchild behind the jazz rock / fusion band CYMBALIC ENCOUNTERS.

MARK MURDOCK first embarked on his solo career in 2012 with the release of "Eyes Down" which received little attention at the time of its release. He would continue his solo career in 2015 with the release of "Era 2 - Eyes Down and Seacloud", which features a more prominent "prog" sound compared to his debut. Around 5 years later, MARK MURDOCK released his third album "The Phoenix Has Risen" which includes various guest musicians such as RON HOWDAN from NEKTAR and FERNANDO PERDOMO from OUT TO SEA. Later that year, he would also put out an EP with TIM PEPPER titled "Everlasting Holidays".

In 2021 MARK MURDOCK began working on his follow-up album "Visitors from Another Planet", releasing it the same year. MARK MURDOCK would also recruit more guest musicians than he has ever before. Consequently, resulting in the album being his most commercially and critically successful up to this point. In the same year, MARK MURDOCK would put out a collaboration album with musician DMITRY M. EPSTEIN titled “Oblivion Bound”. MARK MURDOCK has announced plans for another album in 2023 titled “False Readings” that features a more experimental sound comparable to the two most recent albums from CYMBALIC ENCOUNTERS.

Artist Photograph:

Bandcamp - https://cymbalicencounters.bandcamp.com/
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0gBRToehUOuWyRYrKavZA
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/artist/7uTu0qrPKnzB2mfGywffwY?si=0AOPTwDxSsitvLB38WXumw

Eyes Down (Studio Album, 2012):
1. She's the Kind (5:19)
2. Alone to the Outside (5:11)
3. Shattered Feelings (5:29)
4. Tell it to the World (4:57)
5. Along Silent Waters (3:45)
6. Something Tonight (4:17)
7. Movements of Hearts (4:08)
8. Don't Give Into Them (4:48)
9. Events in the Sky (3:00)

Total Time 40:59

Album Cover:

Edited by Prog Network - December 31 2022 at 15:54
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2022 at 17:02
Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out quick and add to our JF team if it seems like a good fit.

Keep in mind the JF team is super slow right now so it will likely be a while before it gets tended to.

Cheers

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Prog Network View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2023 at 00:01
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out quick and add to our JF team if it seems like a good fit.

Keep in mind the JF team is super slow right now so it will likely be a while before it gets tended to.

Cheers

No problem, take your time.

On Progarchives CYMBALIC ENCOUNTERS is categorized under the genre jazz fusion/rock. Therefore, I put MARK MURDOCK under the same genre. However upon reflection, MARK MURDOCK might lean more towards crossover prog. Please let me know what your opinion on this is. If you believe it resembles crossover prog more than jazz fusion/rock please let me know and I will rewrite the artist suggestion to display that.

Thanks you. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 12:04
Hello, are there any updates on this suggestion?
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 15:44
With Percy Jones, John Goodsall, and David Sancious,sounds like a no-brainer. I'm liking what I'm hearing on Bandcamp despite that fact that it's a lot more tame than I was expecting.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 12:37
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

With Percy Jones, John Goodsall, and David Sancious,sounds like a no-brainer. I'm liking what I'm hearing on Bandcamp despite that fact that it's a lot more tame than I was expecting.

Agreed, his solo career seems to be slightly more tame when compared to his musical project Cymbalic Encounters. Nevertheless, still enjoyable. Thumbs Up

Edited by Prog Network - July 16 2023 at 12:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2023 at 18:31
Are there any updates on Mark Murdock's addition to the website? Considering that several of his albums showcase the musical talents of the late Nektar drummer Ron Howden, it seems fitting to include his contributions at this juncture.

Edited by Prog Network - October 25 2023 at 18:41
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2023 at 18:47
To my surprise, it seems as though he was never added to our evaluation chart -- even when he was first suggested. I'll put him on the chart now so the team can evaluate. Sorry about the confusion! 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2023 at 19:14
I'm listening now. There are some fusiony moments but overall the three albums i've sampled dont' seem like JF to me. Seems more like good old fashioned prog rock with no real strong references. To be continued.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Network Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2023 at 22:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'm listening now. There are some fusiony moments but overall the three albums i've sampled dont' seem like JF to me. Seems more like good old fashioned prog rock with no real strong references. To be continued.
Do you think 'Crossover Prog' might be a more fitting sub-genre? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 10:04
^ well as i'm listening to Cymbalic Encounters it does indeed sound like jazz-fusion so JRF is probably the best fit after all

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2024 at 07:08
 Post Reply Post Reply