Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My top 100 best prog songs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My top 100 best prog songs!
    Posted: January 01 2023 at 15:56
Hello to all of you!

Before I say what I have to say, I want to apologise in advance in case the forum rules prohibit bringing your own projects to any post. These words that I'll say are not meant to promote myself but to share a time-consuming work of researching and listening to progressive rock that I think many people here can benefit from (and that's why I'm bringing it here).

For the last 3 years I have been completing a list of songs that are candidates for a top 100 list of the best progressive rock songs ever. Six months ago I decided to analyse them one by one to complete the project, and today I have uploaded from the 100th to the 91st to my Instagram page where I will be sharing it (@algoflotaenlalaguna). I don't want to paste a direct link here in case you consider it as spam or something similar.

The purpose for which I worked on the list was diversity. I've noticed that almost every list on the internet leaves out so many countries and almost all of their songs are from the UK. It always seemed unfair to me, and one day I thought: I will work on making a fair list, which will also serve to give visibility to progressive rock from other countries that many people don't know about.

So I think it might be useful for many to look at the recent release and keep an eye out for others. I give a brief review of each song.

I repeat:
-The Instagram account is @algoflotaenlalaguna.
-Apologies if this exceeds any rules I'm not aware of. I am a loyal user of this page and I hope you are not offended by this.

Thank you!
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 02:10
If Suppers Ready not NO1 then I'm not interested Wink

Also I have join Instagram? I'm not even on facebook LOL
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 02:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

If Suppers Ready not NO1 then I'm not interested Wink

Also I have join Instagram? I'm not even on facebook LOL

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 02:40
I don't use instagram.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 03:07
If you like comments/feedback please share it here - or at least a place where one doesn't have to sign up/register to be able to see it. I don't think you're at a place packed with "instagrammers"
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 07:12
Yes please post here so the usual suspects can critique/denounce/flame to their hearts’ content!😉😂😉
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 08:06
You're right! Here is the 1/10 part of the top:

100- The Raven That Refused to Sing (Steven Wilson, UK, 2013)
99- Lat Kvar Jordisk Skapning Teia Pts. 1-9 (Shamblemaths, Norway, 2021)
98- Energy (Out Of Future) (Supersister, Netherlands, 1971)
97- 2112 (Rush, Canada, 1976)
96- Yksi Maa - Yksi Kansa (Haikara, Finland, 1972)
95- Ultimo Entardecer (Bacamarte, Brazil, 1983)
94- The Grand Wazoo (Frank Zappa, EE.UU., 1972)
93- En Pleine Face (Harmonium, Canada, 1975)
92- Fool's Overture (Supertramp, UK, 1977)
91- Cassandra Gemini (The Mars Volta, EE.UU., 2005)
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 09:21
I only know numbers 100 and 97 from these 10, both great songs BTW!

Can see this being a very useful resource for me for trying some new songs/bands👍
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 12:07
Wow, this is quite an undertaking. I'm wondering what you are basing this list on? Is it just your own personal preference? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 12:29
I'm glad to read that, Trevor!

-------

I'm glad you feel that way, Mike. Each song I have deeply analyzed and examined taking into account components such as:

-Structure
-Development
-Harmony
-Lyrics (if any)
-Instrumentation
-Execution
-Originality
-Innovation
-Construction
-Composition (theory)

And some more. It's something I've wanted to put together for a long time, and even though I did it largely for my Instagram page, I didn't want to stop sharing it with the users of the progressive rock page I frequent and enjoy using the most. I like to think it can be a source of resources and discoveries for many people here.
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 17:03
Some other long lists of best songs of PA users are here:
I have Fool's Overture on my list from your 91-100; The Grand Wazoo is not there but maybe should.

Edited by Lewian - January 02 2023 at 17:05
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 22:34
Looking at a top 100-91 list without any context or the rest of the list, will always look somewhat random. I do love 98, 96 and 94... but I love a lot of music. Lists like this can be fun to look at, but also a little pointless.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2023 at 22:46
I'll be posting 10 per week 🙂
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 06:24
Looks great so far, not that I know a lot from the ones you posted, but The Grand Wazoo 100% deserve to be there. Incredible work from Zappa and his band.

P.S. It would be great if you'll add the album's names of each song as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 10:40
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

I'm glad to read that, Trevor!

-------

I'm glad you feel that way, Mike. Each song I have deeply analyzed and examined taking into account components such as:

-Structure
-Development
-Harmony
-Lyrics (if any)
-Instrumentation
-Execution
-Originality
-Innovation
-Construction
-Composition (theory)

And some more. It's something I've wanted to put together for a long time, and even though I did it largely for my Instagram page, I didn't want to stop sharing it with the users of the progressive rock page I frequent and enjoy using the most. I like to think it can be a source of resources and discoveries for many people here.

Ooh, feels a little weird to be called my real name on here😱😂

OK, so I’m going to give this project the attention it deserves - I’m someone who really likes prog but have not delved too deeply into it, if you know what I mean! So I’m going to listen to every song (as long as they’re on Spotify or YouTube!) and post a few thoughts - hope that’s ok Mr. Argentinfonico?!😊

Edited by essexboyinwales - January 03 2023 at 10:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 10:45
Number 100: The Raven That Refused To Sing by Steven Wilson

Well this is one I already knew and it’s a beautiful song. Not the biggest fan of either Porcupine Tree or Mr. Wilson’s solo output, but this is a great song and is making me think I should re-listen to quite a bit of both! But I can’t do that right now, can I?……

😂
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 13:21
Hahaha, call your shots! Thank you very much for your enthusiasm. That is a great minimalistic song.
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 04:55
Fools Overture is a great song, maybe the only thing they did outside of Crime and Breakfast that I enjoy by them.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 09:43
Number 99: Lat Kvar Jordisk Skapning Teia Pts. 1-9 - Shamblemaths

This was very interesting but ultimately left me a little cold. Never played anything by them before, I know they are generally well-liked on here and I’m certainly not going to say I wouldn’t listen again or delve in more, as I’m well aware that one listen is usually not enough…
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 09:45
98: Energy (Out Of Future) - Supersister

Really liked this one, never heard of them before but would certainly try this whole album. Some really nice flute, always good for me. Not too keen on the vocals, but loved the music!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>