Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My top 100 best prog songs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 09:48
97: 2112 - Rush

Haven’t listened to this for many years but it sounded great today! I had this album as a teenage rock (but not prog, yet) fan, and it was one of the first songs to make me realise how amazing drumming can sound. I like the Rush phase from here through the next four albums but then they lost their mojo for me….
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 10:03
96: Yksi Maa - Yksi Kansa

Again I enjoyed listening to this and would be tempted to delve more. Despite being retired, I struggle to find much time to listen to a great deal of music, something I need to rectify😑
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 06:53
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Again I enjoyed listening to this and would be tempted to delve more. Despite being retired, I struggle to find much time to listen to a great deal of music, something I need to rectify😑
The band is actually Haikara. Their two first albums are both excellent.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 10:41
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

The band is actually Haikara. Their two first albums are both excellent.

My bad! Explains why I initially struggled to find it….
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 10:49
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

I'm glad to read that, Trevor!

-------

I'm glad you feel that way, Mike. Each song I have deeply analyzed and examined taking into account components such as:

-Structure
-Development
-Harmony
-Lyrics (if any)
-Instrumentation
-Execution
-Originality
-Innovation
-Construction
-Composition (theory)

And some more. It's something I've wanted to put together for a long time, and even though I did it largely for my Instagram page, I didn't want to stop sharing it with the users of the progressive rock page I frequent and enjoy using the most. I like to think it can be a source of resources and discoveries for many people here.

Cool. I'd like to see one for albums also if you ever get a chance. Maybe you could stretch it to 200. ;)
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 09:32
Enjoyed the two songs I had not heard.  Let's see the next ten.
I don't do instagram. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 11:18
Originally posted by Argentinfonico Argentinfonico wrote:

I give a brief review of each song.
So who not post those here as well? It'll most certainly make everything more engaging and interesting.
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 16:14
I have already published the next release! It contains from the 90th to the 81st song. Here they are:

90- The Return of the Giant Hogweed (Genesis, UK, 1971)
89- Funny Ways (Gentle Giant, UK, 1970)
88- The Fall of the House of Usher (The Alan Parsons Project, UK, 1976)
87- Ommadawn (Mike Oldfield, UK, 1975)
86- The Odyssey (Symphony X, USA, 2002)
85- Svitanie (Modrý Efekt, Czechoslovakia, 1977)
84- East Coast Racer (Big Big Train, UK, 2013)
83- Encadenado al Ánima (Invisible, Argentina, 1975)
82- Forgotten Sons (Marillion, UK, 1983)
81- A Tab in the Ocean (Nektar, 1972, Germany)
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 16:40
Thanks for posting here. I just went through 91-100. I have an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription and each of the ten sons was available so I was able to put them all in one playlist. The Supersister and Haikara tracks were new to Mr.

Good timing on your next ten. I will see if I can add then and listen as I do my meal prep for the week.

Edited by mathman0806 - January 08 2023 at 23:24
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 17:24
Took me a while just to add the next 10 but found them. Modrý efekt was a challenge to find as they were listed as M efekt. Lots of long tracks with Oldfield's Ommadawn topping it off. Going to be over a few days though I have heard all but symphony X, Modrý efekt, and Invisible before, so could skip the others but it's been ages for the Fall of the House of Usher and Ommadawn.

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 17:28
Nice list so far! And it's great to see Symphony X getting some love at 86... The Odyssey is such a stellar album, especially the title track Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 18:10
Thank you both! I hope you can enjoy those songs you haven't heard yet.
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 05:36
95: Ultimo Entardecer - Bacamarte

Really enjoyed this one, probably more than any of the other “unknowns” so far. Something in it reminded me of part of an IQ song, from the Seven Stories album I think….
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 05:39
94: The Grand Wazoo - Frank Zappa

Oh dear, my first listen to anything by FZ and it may be my last! Not a fan of stuff like this; it seemed to go nowhere, for far too long. Jazz is not my thing and this is too close to it….
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 05:47
93: En Pleine Face - Harmonium

Pleasant enough, but didn’t find this to be very exciting or, well, proggy!! But I’ve heard good things about Harmonium so would possibly delve more…
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 07:58
92: Fool’s Overture - Supertramp

Believe it or not, the first time I have listened to a song of theirs (apart from hearing something in the radio) and I really enjoyed it!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 08:00
91: Cassandra Gemini - The Mars Volta

A few years ago I bought De-Loused In The Comatorium by this band and rejected it after 3 songs…..

This track is mercifully short, and ok, but I really don’t think TMV are for me!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 07:43
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Some other long lists of best songs of PA users are here:
I have Fool's Overture on my list from your 91-100; The Grand Wazoo is not there but maybe should.

I'm still adding to my list from this post.

A few months ago I started what was to be a series of polls on it, 10 at a time (like this one).  Here was the first (& so far, only): 

...but didn't continue because I realized that I wanted to add some tunes and do a bit of reshuffling (after several months of not looking at or changing the list).  Now up to 500!  Its still an ongoing process but  maybe I'll resume the polls soon.

Z
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2023 at 08:45
90 : Return Of The Giant Hogweed - Genesis

One I know well. Everything that is wonderful about that era of Genesis is present in this song - wonderful!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 14:39
I have published the next release! It contains from the 80th to the 71st song. Here they are:

80- Xanadu (Rush, Canada, 1977)
79- Lament (Gryphon, UK, 1974)
78- Giant (Gentle Giant, UK, 1970)
77- Meeting of the Spirits (Mahavishnu Orchestra, USA, 1971)
76- Bortglomda Gardar (All Traps On Earth, Sweden, 2018)
75- La Poderosa Muerte (Los Jaivas, Chile, 1981)
74- Entangled (Genesis, UK, 1976)
73- Los Delirios Del Mariscal (Crucis, Argentina, 1977)
72- Lunar Sea (Camel, UK, 1976)
71- Epitaph (King Crimson, UK, 1969)

Edited by Argentinfonico - January 17 2023 at 14:40
-Will I see you tonight?

Casablanca (1942)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>