Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tales From Topographic Oceans songs

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [51.35%]
6 [16.22%]
7 [18.92%]
5 [13.51%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales From Topographic Oceans songs
    Posted: January 03 2023 at 14:52
I hear you!
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 19:02
The Ancient—Giants Under the Sun.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2023 at 19:15
What is the question?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 00:36
The Ancient, obviously. The Revealing Science of God is decent, The Remembering rather tedious and Ritual utterly pointless - never could get into it.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 00:51
The Revealing Science of God - Dance of the Dawn
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 03:24
The Ancient is definitely their best on this album, because it brings something  new  to the band (not that crazy about that folk song ending (the last 5 minutes), though)

the A-side is a distant second, and Ritual/Soleil a (very) distant third.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 03:38
The Revealing Science
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 05:10
The Ancient.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 07:36
the opening and closing chant get me every time - the build up to one of ricks best solos is also great so voted RSOG.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 13:28
Ancient/Revealing Science/Remembering/ Ritual
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2023 at 13:46
The Revealing Science of God - Dance of the Dawn
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 07:38
My favorite album. I voted for Side Two.
The Prog Corner
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 08:47
Hi,

All of it, with no preference. 

On side 4, I think it was ... have to hear it again, it was the Daily Doug that even showed a very incredible sequence where Chris Squire is in the background very low ... and what he does non-stop is by very far one of the best things I have ever heard in rock music in 50 years. It's really hard to sit here, and not appreciate some amazing musicianship ... and then hearing DD get upset ... what you doing Rick?, when it sounded like he didn't care within the same piece!

It says it all about what makes a composition and how folks look at their music, and one member, although he did very well all around, in general, was not as creative and original as both Chris, Steve, Alan and Jon were!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 09:45
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

the opening and closing chant get me every time - the build up to one of ricks best solos is also great so voted RSOG.

You would think with a 20 minute song he could do more than just a 30 second keyboard solo though. 

Anyway, for me it's either Ritual or Ancient. Ancient is one of the wildest things they ever did imo (maybe only behind Soundchaser and Gates). With Ritual I think the Yesshows version is better (the middle section on the studio version sounds like a 3 year old rattling pots and pans in the kitchen whereas that part in the live version sounds much more full and more percussion even though it does have Alan-or someone- screaming on it). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 05 2023 at 09:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2023 at 10:07
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The Ancient is definitely their best on this album, because it brings something  new  to the band (not that crazy about that folk song ending (the last 5 minutes), though)

I think maybe you are thinking of Ritual. In Ancient it's more like the last 5 or 6 minutes where it mellows out. The last 30 seconds or so goes back to the earlier sound and ends with the heavy guitars. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 05 2023 at 10:09
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2023 at 15:51
The Revealing Science of God, easily.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2023 at 04:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I think maybe you are thinking of Ritual. In Ancient it's more like the last 5 or 6 minutes where it mellows out. The last 30 seconds or so goes back to the earlier sound and ends with the heavy guitars. 
It's definitely The Ancient that has a 5 minute "folk song" at the end.

I know I'm in the minority here but The Remembering is my favourite. I love the "Don the cap and close your eyes" section and the ending is one of their best.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2023 at 08:42
The Revealing Science of God has the best structure and melodies therefore it gets my vote. I love coming back to it every now and then.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply