Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Its a shame Arena vinyls are going to be £40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Its a shame Arena vinyls are going to be £40
    Posted: January 11 2023 at 02:45
Its a shame that Arena vinyls are going to be £40 ($48, 45 euros) a time.

You cant buy them on somewhere like Amazon, the only place you can buy them is on the Verglas website, Arena's official store.   And at the moment as i write this, they are not strictly speaking actually selling them at the moment,  they are just taking orders for them to see if there's enough interest to make it worth getting them produced.   £40 in my opinion for a vinyl is too much, over priced.    The most ive ever spent on a vinyl is £33, and i dont intend on spending that much on one again, that one was just a one off.

I only like spending £18 to £22 on vinyls, and thats from Amazon when they offer a free digital download rip aswell.   £40 for a 12 inch circle of plastic that im hardly ever gonna use just isnt worth the money.   Its a shame really, cause id love to own The Visitor and Immortal on vinyl.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 05:51
It's a shame indeed. Vinyls are very expensive, merchandise is very expensive, live concerts are also very expensive. I know the artists need to make a living, and with music being almost free these days, they have to make their income from somewhere, but it's getting to a point where is quite unaffordable for a lot of fans.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 06:25
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

You cant buy them on somewhere like Amazon, the only place you can buy them is on the Verglas website, Arena's official store.   And at the moment as i write this, they are not strictly speaking actually selling them at the moment,  they are just taking orders for them to see if there's enough interest to make it worth getting them produced.   £40 in my opinion for a vinyl is too much, over priced.    The most i've ever spent on a vinyl is £33, and i don't intend on spending that much on one again, that one was just a one off.

Hi,

Vinyl has always been spendy ... even in the 70's driving down to Moby Disk to get an IMPORT (everything vinyl in those days), the cost was around $15 dollars, and up to $20. At that time, the "price" for many albums, was around $5.98 or $6.98 depending on the over rating of some crappy stuff.

Vinyl is only worth it, if you have a top of the line stereo system, otherwise you are wasting your money. My old roomie, knew I had the stereo and the albums and heard a lot of the stuff and its quality, and I think he wanted to get something similar. He did get a decent stereo, and later some vinyl's but I can tell you that the Led Zep 2 album sounded like crap on his system or mine. My old version (had not replaced these with CD's yet!) was vastly superior, and made me think that a lot of these "vinyl" this and that is just a bunch of advertising bullcrap to get your money. 

Honestly, vinyl is over and gone. As time goes by the electronics that handle the digitization of a lot of music will improve and vinyl will come off stupid and bad! It's a matter of time, although it won't be in my lifetime, I don't think! I have not heard a single vinyl out there that had the quality and "superiority" that some folks here on this board seem to give it ... well, it might help if you were a bit smarter and gave yourself a large room with good acoustics and air flow, too ... but some folks don't believe it!

So, spend your money is the option for a lot of these commercial junk pushers!  Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 07:02
Arena’s new CD is ridiculously expensive, you can’t stream their music….not sure what their angle is….

But it’s a shame
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 07:02

Yes, it's very expensive, and used vinyl records in general have got very expensive. Unhappy
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 07:56
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Arena’s new CD is ridiculously expensive, you can’t stream their music….not sure what their angle is….

But it’s a shame

Indeed , when did CD's suddenly jump to £20 a pop. I spend £11 a month on streaming and its well worth it as its saved me literally £100's on CD's. Of course some artists are really hard to find on any streaming service (Magenta , Glass Hammer to name 2) but at least you can get their CD's for about £13-£15 , although thinking about the last GH CD may have been more. 

On the subject of Vinyl I do think there is a noticeable uplift in quality when the recording is analogue based as a lot of prog from Norway seems to be. I'm not sure with a more 'Digital approach' you will see a massive difference but nevertheless it can still be better. What Pedro asserts about needing a high end stereo is total nonsense. I have a very nice deck, cost me £260 , backed up with a Denon amp £280 and a couple of speakers that cost about £600 for the pair. Does the job very nicely indeed. 

Edited by richardh - January 11 2023 at 07:57
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 09:40
I bought Arena's latest album on CD aswell, £19, and theres nothing special about it at all, there's no reason why it shouldent have been sold at the going rate instead.    Yes, i have noticed that brand new CD's have gone up aswell.   A fair few years ago, £12 was the going rate,  now its more £15 or £16.

Moshkito, most of what you said in your reply was off topic tangents, my thread wasnt about are vinyls in general worth it, or are they only justified when on very expsensive turntables.   Also vinyls have not always been exspensive, in the 80s they were half the price or nearly half the price of a CD, i even remember that myself.

I buy vinyls more to collect them, rather than for them to be my main method of listening to music.   What ive mainly done is buy my absolute favourite albums of all time on vinyl, usually my favourite album of each artist/band, and leave it as that.    When i can buy a vinyl for only £18 or £22 and it comes with a free digital download, thats more attractive.   £40 for just a vinyl and nothing else is not attractive, too exspensive for my liking.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 11:03
I'm not going to comment on Moshkito's entire post "Honestly, vinyl is over and gone".....someone has been sleeping under a rock since 2010 LOL
Other than to say if you do a simple Google search on LP price in 1975 say, it was about 5.99-7.99. Even I remember in the late 70s paying no more than 8.99, I don't think I ever remember seeing a $15 record.
Those prices using an inflation calculator (US$) is 5.99 = 33.15, 7.99 = 44.21. There are different calculators you can use and this one seems to be on the higher end. I buy a lot of LPs both new and used, new ones run $25-$30 for single and $35-40 for dbls. And of course deluxe editions, box sets and special releases have their own prices.
CDs have tended to hold price in that $15-20 range it seems, but hell back in mid 80s CDs were very expensive, $12-13 I remember, considering $13 is about $36 today.

Bottom line is the price of all stuff has increased due to the current inflation and the past 2 years due to Covid and supply chain issues. The LP took a big hit when that lacquer plant in California burned down, one of only a handfull that produce lacquers, needed to press LPs, and then Covid with a massive demand since everyone was home not working in office and listening to records all day long.

Simple supply and demand. Regarding Arena's price, that does seem on the higher end for a record, part of it may be that they only plan to press a small run so their mfg costs are much higher.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 11:34
I bought the CD for $24, which is indeed steep for a new release.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 12:09
The CD is also overpriced and there is nowhere to hear the album digitally at the moment

As much as I love Arena I’m sitting this one out until the prices come down

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 14:05
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

The CD is also overpriced and there is nowhere to hear the album digitally at the moment

As much as I love Arena I’m sitting this one out until the prices come down
Same here.  I'd love to hear the album for my end of year top 20 but it will likely be excluded since it will likely be unheard.  (Judging on Greenmist's comment it might be excluded based on quality anyways, but I tend to rank Neo albums higher than many PAers so???)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 14:38
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

(Judging on Greenmist's comment it might be excluded based on quality anyways, but I tend to rank Neo albums higher than many PAers so???)

I believe his "nothing special" remark was directed at the packaging, not the music itself.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 15:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You cant buy them on somewhere like Amazon, the only place you can buy them is on the Verglas website, Arena's official store.   And at the moment as i write this, they are not strictly speaking actually selling them at the moment,  they are just taking orders for them to see if there's enough interest to make it worth getting them produced.   £40 in my opinion for a vinyl is too much, over priced.    The most i've ever spent on a vinyl is £33, and i don't intend on spending that much on one again, that one was just a one off.

Hi,

Vinyl has always been spendy ... even in the 70's driving down to Moby Disk to get an IMPORT (everything vinyl in those days), the cost was around $15 dollars, and up to $20. At that time, the "price" for many albums, was around $5.98 or $6.98 depending on the over rating of some crappy stuff.

Vinyl is only worth it, if you have a top of the line stereo system, otherwise you are wasting your money. My old roomie, knew I had the stereo and the albums and heard a lot of the stuff and its quality, and I think he wanted to get something similar. He did get a decent stereo, and later some vinyl's but I can tell you that the Led Zep 2 album sounded like crap on his system or mine. My old version (had not replaced these with CD's yet!) was vastly superior, and made me think that a lot of these "vinyl" this and that is just a bunch of advertising bullcrap to get your money. 

Honestly, vinyl is over and gone. As time goes by the electronics that handle the digitization of a lot of music will improve and vinyl will come off stupid and bad! It's a matter of time, although it won't be in my lifetime, I don't think! I have not heard a single vinyl out there that had the quality and "superiority" that some folks here on this board seem to give it ... well, it might help if you were a bit smarter and gave yourself a large room with good acoustics and air flow, too ... but some folks don't believe it!

So, spend your money is the option for a lot of these commercial junk pushers!  Tongue

"Honestly, vinyl is over and gone"

Is that why more vinyl albums are selling than at any time since 2000?

I have a very, very high quality turntable (A Pink Triangle Anniversary, with an SME Series V arm and a Lyra Lydian cartridge). I cannot listen to CDs or streaming unless there is no vinyl available. The vinyl sounds so superior on a top class system, but I agree that may not be so on a lower quality system.

But I will have no hesitation paying £40 for vinyl versions of some of Arena's albums, and I already have The Visitor on vinyl.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 15:55
Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

Honestly, vinyl is over and gone.

He's got a point, these days pleather is in, and vinyl is out. Of course latex is always fashionable.

Lame joke aside, that does seem expensive as I have seen considerably cheaper for limited run double-albums and triple-albums by other acts. I don't know how popular Arena is. Looking at amazon prices for various Arena CDs, it's hugely expensive, so I guess there's a shortage and enough demand now. And inflation has been crazy.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 15:58
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

"Honestly, vinyl is over and gone"

Is that why more vinyl albums are selling than at any time since 2000?

I have a very, very high quality turntable (A Pink Triangle Anniversary, with an SME Series V arm and a Lyra Lydian cartridge). I cannot listen to CDs or streaming unless there is no vinyl available. The vinyl sounds so superior on a top class system, but I agree that may not be so on a lower quality system.

But I will have no hesitation paying £40 for vinyl versions of some of Arena's albums, and I already have The Visitor on vinyl.

As you know I'm right there with ya Herc......
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 16:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'm not going to comment on Moshkito's entire post "Honestly, vinyl is over and gone".....someone has been sleeping under a rock since 2010 LOL

LOL
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 21:46

Other than to say if you do a simple Google search on LP price in 1975 say, it was about 5.99-7.99. Even I remember in the late 70s paying no more than 8.99, I don't think I ever remember seeing a $15 record.
Those prices using an inflation calculator (US$) is 5.99 = 33.15, 7.99 = 44.21. 

Hi,

Speaking of sleeping under a rock ... I specifically said that IMPORTS were spendy, compared to the rest which was between the range you mentioned. I rarely bought anything else in the 70's and 80's except imports, since the home driven grounds were not releasing a lot of the European stuff I wanted. So, yeah, you could get LP's cheaply otherwise and I added a lot of them into my collection, found in many a store for a very small fee ... heck, all my Family/Streetwalkers stuff was used records and they were all up to$2 dollars each!

I won't say much about Arena's event. I think they might have felt that something special was important, and I will leave it at that.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 03:56
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

(Judging on Greenmist's comment it might be excluded based on quality anyways, but I tend to rank Neo albums higher than many PAers so???)

I believe his "nothing special" remark was directed at the packaging, not the music itself.

Yes it was, even though i actually dont think all that much of this latest album, it was meant at the packaging.   It should have come with a bonus Cd or something,  or the CD casing should have been like a hardback book, like what Nightwish's Endless Forms Most Beautiful is, on its CD copy.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 06:39

Those prices using an inflation calculator (US$) is 5.99 = 33.15, 7.99 = 44.21. There are different calculators you can use and this one seems to be on the higher end. I buy a lot of LPs both new and used, new ones run $25-$30 for single and $35-40 for dbls. And of course deluxe editions, box sets and special releases have their own prices.
CDs have tended to hold price in that $15-20 range it seems, but hell back in mid 80s CDs were very expensive, $12-13 I remember, considering $13 is about $36 today.

Bottom line is the price of all stuff has increased due to the current inflation and the past 2 years due to Covid and supply chain issues. The LP took a big hit when that lacquer plant in California burned down, one of only a handfull that produce lacquers, needed to press LPs, and then Covid with a massive demand since everyone was home not working in office and listening to records all day long.

Simple supply and demand. Regarding Arena's price, that does seem on the higher end for a record, part of it may be that they only plan to press a small run so their mfg costs are much higher.

I think this response nailed it on the head. I've curtailed purchasing CDs from Europe because the shipping costs are sometimes more than the price of the CD (mainly from Italy at this time). Japanese imports are also off limits for me because the CD and the shipping are both very high. Living in the U.S., the best option for me at this time is if one of the local retailers (like LaserCD, Wayside, Doug Larson Imports, progwalker on Discogs) can get their hands on some of these imports. This means it's mostly a waiting game for me. Sometimes, in the end, I'm forced to buy a download even though I like to have the physical product.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 07:32
Just one of the reasons why I don't buy vinyl. I generally buy CDs/downloads from Bandcamp, average around £15 a time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>