FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Jeff Beck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
altered_beast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altered_beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Jeff Beck
    Posted: January 25 2023 at 16:39
I saw Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton both live. Neither stole the show as their other musicians did. But I was far more a bigger Jeff Beck fan, never got to see him live, and don’t even listen to any Page or Clapton anymore.

Jeff Becks Fusion albums are what really interests me. I had the Yardbirds album Roger the Engineer and the first Jeff Beck solo album. That was enough to make me a fan. But Blow by Blow and Wired are where I put Jeff Beck on the list of greats.

A great Blues guitarist but the Jazz Fusion albums are what excite me. I’ve had a quite a few Jazz Fusion albums from the 70’s. Jeff’s albums are every bit as much favorites of mine as what I have from Miles Davis, Weather Report, Return to Forever, Luc Jean Ponty, Al Di Meola, Allen Holdsworth, Bruford, Brand X, Billy Cobham, Steely Dan, etc. Compelling and a surge of energy in a way that you would hope from Jeff Beck. I like his selection of musicians also. The Stevie Wonder gig was epic and memorable.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 19:01
He was the greatest mistake-maker to ever pick up an ax.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 17:05
My favorite Jeff Beck album is Beck-Ola.
And, Rice Pudding is one of my favorite rock instrumentals ever (by anyone).

Rest in Peace, Mr. Beck. You were one of the best.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 14:00
Rick Beato - Why JEFF BECK is UNCOPYABLE:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 13:52
Very sad news Cry

Doug Helvering (Daily Doug) Remembering Jeff Beck:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 12:03
If one has been on these forums long enough, one should have general sense of Paul's preferences in music. You can't say anything is properly or improperly rated. It's all subjective.

Nonetheless, Paul is wrong.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 11:56
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ Paul, one thing we can always count on is your inability to properly rate albums. Blow by Blow and Wired only 3 star albums? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I'm more often criticised for overrating albums. Tongue

Same for Jeff and Jan Hammer live

It's a good thing you didn't see my ratings for Allan Holdsworth. Tongue
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 11:44
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Paul, one thing we can always count on is your inability to properly rate albums. Blow by Blow and Wired only 3 star albums? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Same for Jeff and Jan Hammer live
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 11:26
3 stars? More like 30!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 11:16

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 11:10
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 09:51
I listened to Jeff Beck's entire Beckology for the first time only last August, and that's the Truth!

4 stars 1973: Beck, Bogert & Appice - Beck, Bogert & Appice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KEMjeFW2qk
4 stars 1974: Beck, Bogert & Appice - Live in Japan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_UwhTJm7o
3 stars 1977: Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group - Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGjbyjS4zfc
3 stars 1992: Jeff Beck & Jeff Leiber - Frankie's House - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lzp2WRbhA0CLGRDrTOmhQl4LeiaC_NRsE
2 stars 1993: Jeff Beck & the Big Town Playboys - Crazy Legs - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nPXZTciimHrj4ehVFLjb4lMtrXFnyn3ts
4 stars 2003: Jeff Beck - Shapes of Things (60's Groups & Sessions) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL99228AE086772B5E
3 stars 2003: Jeff Beck - Live at BB King Blues Club - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ51yXNWJSWyhCmGHf5Zbe15Wf0jgbyQI
4 stars 2007: Jeff Beck - Official Bootleg USA '06 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLKKEyVJ5Yr3gB3Cnd6AYb6ayZaIMCTS6
4 stars 2008: Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQHnzHrqgE
4 stars 2010: Jeff Beck - Live and Exclusive from the Grammy Museum - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lgEk1xQ4eALEYIQtm3cHi6ZGiGbWgx4mY
3 stars 2011: Jeff Beck - Rock & Roll Party: Honouring Les Paul - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGoHVSggdo
3 stars 2017: Jeff Beck - Live at the Hollywood Bowl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJQb7aIxfk
3 stars 2019: Jeff Beck - Live at the Fillmore West, San Francisco 1968 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mgsw2SbVNLs-DlXS7hIBvaxRLfl5S4elU
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 07:53
Fripp comes across as an absolute arse in that article.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 10:42

Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana & Steve Lukather 1986 Live in Karuizawa, Japan

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 10:33
An absolute legend R.I. P. Jeff Beck
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 10:09
He will be missed. Master of articulation, always willing to push the boundaries. 

RIP good man.

Edited by Negoba - January 13 2023 at 10:12
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 09:17

No one sounded like Beck. Like Hendrix, he had his own thing that was innovative and years ahead of other guitarists.

Precisely.

Guitar Shop is one of Jeff's very best, IMO. In lieu of a bassist, keyboardist Tony Hymas (he played on tracks 4-8 of There and Back) joined our esteemed guitarist and drum wiz Terry Bozzio to record an album that deftly straddled the lines of rock and fusion. Jeff was highly complementary of Tony's playing. Terry was, well, Terry! At forty minutes, it feels short because there are no throwaway tracks. You want it to keep going...

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 08:14
he developed some techniques I appreciate- not a big fan of blues so didn’t really get into him- actually surprised his albums aren’t rated higher - a fan  on Facebook said Truth was his best- I will give it a listen. RIP
TheNefariousHED View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 05:32
One of those who seemed immortal. Shockingly sad news. Besides his solo albums and the Yardbirds, I really loved his work on Roger Waters' Amused to Death.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 05:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>