Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Jeff Beck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Jeff Beck
    Posted: January 11 2023 at 17:03
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 17:12
One word: Legend 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 18:15
Definitely a legend. Deserves his own thread. RIP
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 18:40
Probably my single biggest guitar influence.  A giant among giants.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 19:41
Absolute legend for sure. RIP Cry
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 19:50
No one sounded like Beck. Like Hendrix, he had his own thing that was innovative and years ahead of other guitarists.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 23:27
He was so damned good, even Fripp liked to listen to him!  RIP, Jeff!  

On Jeff Beck: “Jeff Beck’s guitar playing I can appreciate as good fun. It’s where the guitarist and ‘poser-cum-ego tripper-cum-rock star-cum-entertainer’ becomes all invol­ved in the package. I’m not putting it down.  It’s good fun; it’s quite enjoy­able. Very exciting. I wish him all the best of luck.”

Edited by cstack3 - January 11 2023 at 23:29
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 00:37
^ They were almost at opposite ends of the rock-God spectrum, completely different approach, both thrilling masters of their craft.  Nice to see Fripp saw that.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 05:47
One of the best guitarist in rock history. A great loss indeed. My condolences to his family, friends and fans. 
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 06:01
He was one of the last true living legends of the electric guitar.  Massive influence on my own guitar playing and musical tendencies.  Always thought he would easily outlive Clapton and Page.  I would happily trade the remaining (lesser) Yardbirds guitarists to have Jeff back with us.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 06:05
One of my biggest musical influences. To see and or hear Jeff at work was like the Universe delivering affirmations that all things are possible--even beyond my own wild imagination! So glad we have so much of his music and performances! To my mind, he's in a class of guitar innovators that houses only few, including Sonny Sharrock, Roy Buchanan, John McLaughlin, Robert Fripp, Allan Holdsworth, Adrian Belew, Robin Guthrie, and Guthrie Govan. I feel so grateful that "our little bad boy" was able to have the long, productive life that he did. 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 07:38
 Shocked and saddened when I heard this yesterday. Jeff was one of the best. (Listening to Blow by Blow as I type this). RIP. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 08:24
Jeff Beck can be described as something as a rareity of being "one of a kind". Even among peers whom he shares decades with, he was a rare snd spessialy gifted guitarist. With a tone nomather what guitar he held and played, he sounded like Jeff Beck.

The greatest renditioner and whom have incorporated and uses Jeff Becks techniques in hes own playing today, is Steve Lukather, whom is a very good Jeff Beck interpretor. I reccomend some of the early 90s live concerts with Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana and Steve Lukather

Edited by Icarium - January 12 2023 at 08:28
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 13:39
So Sad to hear this.. A colleague of mine works for him and his wife and i was lucky enough to help out at an event they held a number of years ago for local animal and wildlife charities and got a bunch of my lps personally signed as thanks. My colleague said he was a lovely man to work for, liked to get up to a bit of mischief, working on and racing his tuned-up cars and doing stuff in the garden, regularly putting those precious hands at risk! 
In my opinion he was WAY WAY ahead of Clapton and Page, not only in his constantly evolving guitar technique but as an individual.
My deepest condolences to his wife, family and friends.. RIP Jeff, like many i'm spinning 'Blow by Blow', 'Wired' and 'live with Jan Hammer group' tonight

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 18:09
I had already been playing guitar for a few years when I first heard him, I mean an entire album as opposed to a track here and there. I had several influences early on but my new thought was, "This is the guy I want to sound like." It took me decades to realize that I would never play like him, but then, who has?
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 18:25
I suspect for some it's hearing or seeing him perform spontaneously that thrills them.  Other than a few hits with Rod Stewart, most people don't really know Beck's work off hand.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 18:44
I was just playing Blow By Blow earlier. What a fine record. RIP Jeff Beck.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 05:15
TheNefariousHED View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNefariousHED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 05:32
One of those who seemed immortal. Shockingly sad news. Besides his solo albums and the Yardbirds, I really loved his work on Roger Waters' Amused to Death.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2023 at 08:14
he developed some techniques I appreciate- not a big fan of blues so didn’t really get into him- actually surprised his albums aren’t rated higher - a fan  on Facebook said Truth was his best- I will give it a listen. RIP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>