Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd - DSOTM 50th Anniversary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd - DSOTM 50th Anniversary
    Posted: January 19 2023 at 09:26
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 09:56
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/music/news/pink-floyd-announce-massive-dark-side-of-the-moon-50th-anniversary-box-set/ar-AA16wnk2?cvid=4f947134070447ee8c318f31c3fff3c3

Hi,

I'm not against it, and neither am I for it. The band has the right to do as they please. 

There is one thing, however, that a box set can NEVER give us ... the excitement and the energy of the FM Radio stations in America at playing this album, and how fans just flocked to it ... it was quite an amazing achievement, and I think it spoke for a lot of music that still was "preferred" for having top of the pops or commercial appeal ... this album changed things a lot ... 

One thing that box should have ... the cut up version of "Money" with a few words censored. People nowadays, have no idea what "censorship" is, and how it was used for so long in so many places. Even in 1974 and 1975, folks in Santa Barbara were after Frank Zappa (FCC hired old folks for it!!!) for using bad words. 

Honestly, although I have to admit I have never heard a PF bootleg where the DSOTM was better on the bootleg than it was in the album, unlike a lot of their earlier material ... the mechanical need and nature of the shows from DSOTM on, took away some of the freedom and far out bits that their shows used to have, which they could no longer do. In that sense, a lot of their presentation, while far out and probably the best of them all, was not really that great.

An interesting 50 years ... and talking about it is strange ... I was at SBCC in Santa Barbara when it came out.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 13:22
It looks like the accompanying live performance from 1974 is being released as a separate CD for $12.98. I might get that, but I'm definitely not coughing up $300 for the box set.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:37
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

It looks like the accompanying live performance from 1974 is being released as a separate CD for $12.98. I might get that, but I'm definitely not coughing up $300 for the box set.

Hi,

I might get that CD for that price. However, I would imagine that a much better investment, is on the bootlegs BEFORE the "Dark Side of the Moon" stuff ... they all have some really nifty stuff and although "Raving and Drooling" and the other cut has been "released", the versions in the release are not half as good as some on the bootlegs ... at least that's my feeling. The released versions were "later" in their evolution and my thought is that the earlier ones were way better, specially "R&D" which Roger kinda destroyed from the great space rocker that it was to some kind of overblown ... something else, that only hits you if you saw the band on stage (live at Anaheim stadium for me!) when your stomach turned on that incredible chord change! Other than that, the album version for me, is not very good at all!

The bigger, or biggest, thing about the bootlegs, is that it shows and explains the PF history with special sound effects and how they were used in DSOTM and then later the effects became TW. 

Lovely stuff, but I'm not sure I can even consider the DSOTM box set ... maybe if the lottery is nice to me one of these days, before they cut me up into little pieces ... broke, desperate and dead!

Edited by moshkito - January 20 2023 at 07:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:51
Good to know, thanks!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:32
Nah, I'm good.....Seems a lot of that is on the Immersion release. I have no use for all the Blu-Ray/Atmos stuff and I suspect the studio LP is the same as the Bernie Grundman 2016 reissue.
I'll wait for what Analogue Productions might do for the 50th release in a UHQR version, quite possibly an all analog release.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 20:17
Why not just re-release the experience and immersion box-sets? And if they were going to released the live album of Dark Side as a stand alone, couldn't they have released the whole show?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 02:20
Never been a massive fan of the original. I remember hearing that Empire Pool version back in the seventies and I couldn't have been more underwhelmed.  On the other hand actually being present to see Waters and the various tribute bands perform it live is a whole different thing. I'm a sucker for a box set but I won't be touching it with a 50ft barge pole.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 12:47
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 15:15
I have bought and re-bought this album in various formats over the years, but I'm not going to pay a ship load of money for the privilege of all the fancy packaging and the inclusion what I term the 'left over rubbish' - an increasing trend these days by many artists who had their hey-day several decades ago as they think their core fan base probably has lots of disposable income for such pointless purchases.

/rantover
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 02:48
I was happy with my original DSOTM cassette tape - I actually still have it :)  although embarrassed to admit our teenage band recorded over side 2 by putting chewed up paper in the top of the cassette so we could record a really bad rehearsal over it. Funny how expensive new tapes were back then
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 03:57
I've never really understood the appeal of these deluxe, exorbitantly priced anniversary sets... there is obviously a market out there for baby-boomers with surplus cash to splash, but very few of them seem to be truly worth it.

Personally, I own the 'Oh By The Way' box set of their studio albums, into which I have incorporated the clothbound edition of 'The Endless River' and the recent Momentary Lapse remix (which may or may not stay) ... is there really any need for anything else?  Ermm
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 08:39
^Totally agree.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:10
This record is 50yrs old, there could be almost 2 music generations that have "recently" discovered this album like one in the past 20yrs and another in the past 2-3yrs. For those of us that bought the album on release or in the mid 70s we certainly have had our fair share of reissues and owning it on various formats.

There are fans from the early 70s that will buy everything DSOtM, maybe we don't read that here on this site, but man other forums there are loads of posts from old and young saying they can't wait for it to ship! Regardless how you feel about the album, it is one of the most (and will always be) iconic rock albums ever released....Even Sgt Pepper is probably 10-15million copies in sales behind DSOtM.

The box set for me is too heavy to all the digital stuff, which I don't care for have no need for. I would have been interested had the LP been a new reissue, new cut from original master tapes. But I believe it is the 2016 reissue which is from a digital copy. Everyone's hope is that Analogue Productions is working on getting the original master tapes, or metal work of the 2003 30th anniversary and having that remastered for a UHQR release.
The one thing DSOtM has that many records don't from that era is the production is beyond stellar, for 50yrs it has been the one record people use to see how good their stereo system can sound. It still blows my mind at how great that recording is...

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 10:30
^Everything José just said...Hell ya !Thumbs Up
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 16:17
My all-time favorite album.  Wore out two LP's as a kid.  Got the Mo-Fi LP and CD. Its live on Pulse in the 1990's. Got the Experience Edition where it is live in the 1970's. It's in the Shine On box set. 6 Tracks are on the Delicate Sound of Thunder CD. 6 Tracks are on Waters In The Flesh DVD. I know Rog toured DSOTM but I'm not sure if he ever released a DVD of it.  7 tracks are on the Us & Them - Symphonic Pink Floyd CD.   

I'm sure some of you have 5.1 and quad mixes plus live and early versions from the Immersion Box. And let's not forget the various anniversary editions, which I wanted to get for the artwork, but didn't. Don't forget all the legit boots out there that are available online at the moment.  

There are so many versions out there it feels like a popular classical work from one of the masters.       

Edited by tdfloyd - January 24 2023 at 16:38
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 18:34
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

SIGH ! UnhappyWacko

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/music/pink-floyd-army-comes-for-anti-lgbtq2-fans-outraged-by-new-rainbow-logo/ar-AA16EOnK?cvid=ca993925fec243a6bd0966e742dc0e7e

I read it
If it ain’t woke, don’t fix it, I guess.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 24 2023 at 18:36
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 13:57
I'm totally against the album for having a rainbow on the cover! Its too PC in the 21st century. What were they thinking 50 years ago?

Edited by SteveG - January 31 2023 at 14:01
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 17:19
Presently, I believe I have enough versions of DSotM (at least 6 between LPs, SACD and CDs). I am not purchasing yet another. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 18:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Presently, I believe I have enough versions of DSotM (at least 6 between LPs, SACD and CDs). I am not purchasing yet another. 

Why the hell not?? Confused It's only f'ing money.....7 is a better number than 6. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>