Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you
    Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:08
Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you liked?

I thought id ask this question in a thread because its a very interesting one (well i think so anyway lol)

I can remember the first ever prog rock band i got into, and the first ever prog metal band i got into.   And there is something in common between the 2 (which ill get onto at the end).

The very first prog rock band i got into was Arena.   Their song Chosen appeared on a Metal Hammer promo CD in 2000.   I loved the way that it reminded me of the song Cry Little Sister from The Lost Boys soundtrack.  But it wasnt to be until 2004 that i bought my first Arena album,  the album that song came from, which of course was Immortal?.   I started checking out more songs of theirs from that album, it was from a website (possibly Arena's then official one).   Heard the song The Butterfly Man, all nice and darky like Chosen.   After hearing that song i thought "right that does it, i gotta buy this album" and i did.   When i listened to the whole album i was disappointed that not every song sounded dark.   Songs like Fridays Dream and Climbing the Net sounded the opposite, they sounded most jolly.   But..............in time the jolly songs grew on me aswell, and i was able to appreciate them just as much.

Then in 2006 i got a job at a petrol station.   One of my work collegues was a 50 year old man that was into progressive rock.  He mainly liked Yes and Pink Floyd and we talked about our music tastes.  I then learnt that Arena is labeled as Neo Prog Rock.   So when i realised that Arena and the likes of Pink Floyd and Yes are under the same umbrella, i then started checking out Pink Floyd and Yes.   Sorry Yes fans, but Pink Floyd appealed to me more of the 2.   Thats when i realised i had discovered the world of progressive rock.

The first ever Progressive metal band i ever got into was Savatage.  My friend reccomended them to me in 2006.  I soon grew fond of them.   I loved the way they employed classical and opera into metal like Queen do with rock.   The song Chance very much reminded me of Queen's song Bohemian Rhapsody.  In 2007 i learnt of Progressive Powerfest festival in Cheltenham, Jon Oliva headlined it.  I attended it and as a result learnt of other progressive metal bands like Threshold (my number 2 prog metal band), Dreamscape and Haggard.  That was me now in the world of progressive metal aswell.

Ok, heres the connection between the 2 with my testimony.........When i got into Arena, i never purposely went looking for progressive rock bands, didnt even know the term existed.  Simply got into them just because i liked them.   Same goes with Savatage, never purposely went looking for progressive metal bands, they were introduced to me, and i just simply got into them cause i liked them.   But any other prog rock or prog metal band that came after them, it was a conscious choice.   This is why labeling bands as certain genres does matter to a degree.   Because yeah, you get into a band , you wanna hear more stuff like that.

Edited by Greenmist - January 19 2023 at 14:12
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:18
Yes, I can remember.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:32
Hi,

We have to go way back to my days in Brazil ... it would be the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, both which were burning up the radio at that time. I can remember some individual singers from that time in Brazil, but no bands.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 14:59
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Yes, I can remember.

LOLYou funny, funny dude!Clap
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:04
Been through this before but the short version:  Yes; Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards in 1974. Before that all I knew was what we called "album rock" (i.e. albums not oriented toward an endless slew of radio-friendly pop singles) and our own album-oriented FM radio stations in Detroit (WABX and WRIF) but had never really listened to a whole album while considering it "progressive rock music" until 1974, Demons and Wizards.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:12

Yes, I can remember.

Yes, I can remember too. It was The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, long before I realised it's the very first Symphonic Prog album about fifty years in the future. Smile
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:41
I wrote about this on my profile bio, but I listened to 1969-era Moody Blues at a very early age - they and the Beatles dominate most of the earliest memories I have. Age 5 or so. I was so fixated on those records.   Later around age 10 or so, I got into Camel (late 70s early 80s).

Edited by HolyMoly - January 19 2023 at 15:41
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:42

Yes, I can remember.

LOL
so can I Big smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:43
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Been through this before ...

Even very much indeed, but yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:46
Pink Floyd.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:49
Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:52
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Yes, I can remember too. It was The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, long before I realised it's the very first Symphonic Prog album about fifty years in the future. Smile

That's very interesting to hear here, as we didn't get it in the thread "The Best Progressive Rock band from the '60s?", where we discussed which were the first Prog albums ever. Big smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 15:53
Of course I can, I'm not THAT old yet.

Or am I ???
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:29
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

That's very interesting to hear here, as we didn't get it in the thread "The Best Progressive Rock band from the '60s?", where we discussed which were the first Prog albums ever. Big smile
I think you'll find I did mention The Moody Blues there, in my A-Z list. Wink
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Of course I can, I'm not THAT old yet.

Or am I ???

Is that really you, JD? Anyway, sexy garment. Tongue

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:55

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I think you'll find I did mention The Moody Blues there, in my A-Z list. Wink

Yes, as one of the 26 "Most Influential Sixties Bands". Wink

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 16:58
No, I cannot remember....
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 17:18
Gotta be Rush Hemispheres, bought it when I was ten because I liked the cover.  

Edited by Atavachron - January 19 2023 at 17:26
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 18:04
Yes Yes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 18:15
Yes, I think I remember. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>