Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 18:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Yes, I can remember.

Yes, I can remember too. It was The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, long before I realised it's the very first Symphonic Prog album about fifty years in the future. Smile

Did you see the cover of the latest PROG magazine? There was something on it about them being the first progressive rock band. Wink
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 19:04

Yes, I can remember.

Yes, I can remember too. It was The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, long before I realised it's the very first Symphonic Prog album about fifty years in the future. Smile

Days of Future Passed is NOT symphonic prog. There is nothing symphonic about this album. Why can't you read my post in latest David's post? Can't you guys get the facts straight?
London Festival Orchestra and members of Moody Blues were never in the recording studio together. This is nothing but bunch of pop-songs mixed with classical interludes played by symphonic orchestra.
The orchestra and the band never played together.
The classical pieces were arranged by Peter Knight, the orchestra's conductor. Moody Blues was never part of progressive rock movement.

Edited by enigmatic - January 19 2023 at 20:56
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 19:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yes, I can remember.

Did you see the cover of the latest PROG magazine? There was something on it about them being the first progressive rock band. Wink

I assume the one with Robert Fripp on the cover?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 20:07
I think that it was probably Foreigner.  Hot Blooded and Double Vision are the first rock songs that I remember hearing and liking in school.  Someone brought in a 45 with those songs on it and we would play it a lot during lunch hour and maybe before class.  Too long ago to really remember.  AC/DC was kind of in the mix with Back in Black.  The first records that I asked for as a present were Def Leppard's Pyromania and Quiet Riot's Metal Health.  Judas Priest were the first band that I can remember labelling as "my favorite".  

The first prog band I liked was Rush, and they've been my favorite band ever since.

Edited by rushfan4 - January 19 2023 at 20:08
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 21:15
And we are back to having to decide which bands were truly prog rock in the past..............Wink
I was listening to Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Zep,  Zappa, etc,,,, but when I heard ITCOTCK in April of 1970....it blew me away.. so I suppose that was the first one that really made a huge impression.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2023 at 22:04
Now that enigmatic is off his soapbox... LOL

My journey started with... well, Journey. Their Greatest Hits Live album was my very first record as a kid, and eventually that led me to discovering the rest of their discog; of course, that resulted in me discovering their first three albums, which were in more of a fusion/prog vein. From there, I started getting into Queen's proggier albums such as Queen II and A Night at the Opera, which only intrigued me further; I absolutely loved all the weird time sigs and multi-layered compositions, as well as Freddie Mercury's sense of drama and bombast. 

However, the real launching pad past this point was Rush. Journey and Queen led me to them, and once I got to albums like A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, I knew I was tackling a different beast altogether. Extended suites, epic narratives inspired by program music, the incredible instrumental prowess of the trio... I was mesmerized. And from there, I discovered all the major English prog bands... Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf Generator, the works Smile

But still, it's funny to think that Journey started it all for me Tongue
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 02:16
There was a part in my OP which i didnt emphasise enough and i should have done.  

One thing that i was particually interested in was, was the first ever prog rock band that you all got into, was a result of you thinking "i wanna give this prog rock genre a go, what band from that field shall i give a chance to first?", or was it a case of, you never went purposely hunting, you just so happend to get into that band because someone or some thing put it infront of you and you just decided you liked it, and then the prog rock band hunting started after that?

Im getting the impression that not many people got into prog rock because of the former circumstances.

And yeah, getting into a prog related band first might have been that first step for many people.  You get into Asia, you decide you like them, you find out that John Wetton, Carl Palmer, Geoff Downes and Steve Rowe were part of prog rock bands, and then you check them bands out.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 02:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yes, I think I remember. Tongue

Yes, I remember too, but only after 9:01:25 Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 03:08
ELP. Didn't like prog rock as it was pretty tedious and long and didn't get to the point quickly enough. I only liked ELP because they of the keyboard stacks and massive drum set. Yey they looked amazingly cool in that Fanfare video with the split knee jeans and bomber jackets. Genesis on the other hand had some weird baldy guy wearing Hawaian shirts and Yes , well just don't go there. Floyd were a snooze fest and nothing else was on the radar for me in 1977.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 03:19
Well of course I can remember it was a trilogy. Which was.
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Yes - Close to the Edge
Genesis- Foxtrot

I was around my best friends house and his. Older brother saw me looking through his vinyls and asked if I was interested in listening to some albums. Then he played the above albums in the order. Which I’ve posted them here. Oh it was 1973 and I’ve been obsessed ever since lol…
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 03:27
Born in 66, I'm the youngest of 4 brothers and I grew up listening to the records of my older brothers and cousins who were already teenagers.
My first memory of listening to a prog album which really impressed me is ELP's Tarkus, which I absolutely loved. I was 5 years old.
And together with it many other early prog like KC's In the Court, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Jethro, The Moody Blues... 
Si it was not a conscious search for prog, nor somebody else's recommendation which led me to prog, I was simply immersed in it since a very young age. 

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 04:24
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

There was a part in my OP which i didnt emphasise enough and i should have done.

One thing that i was particually interested in was, was the first ever prog rock band that you all got into, was a result of you thinking "i wanna give this prog rock genre a go, what band from that field shall i give a chance to first?", or was it a case of, you never went purposely hunting, you just so happend to get into that band because someone or some thing put it infront of you and you just decided you liked it, and then the prog rock band hunting started after that?

Im getting the impression that not many people got into prog rock because of the former circumstances.

And yeah, getting into a prog related band first might have been that first step for many people. You get into Asia, you decide you like them, you find out that John Wetton, Carl Palmer, Geoff Downes and Steve Rowe were part of prog rock bands, and then you check them bands out.
Growing up in the mid 70's in my neck of the woods it wasn't labeled progressive rock or prog. It was just rock. Anyway, Jethro Tull, Zappa, and Kansas were played often.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 04:29

I was 12 I think, I didn't consciously check genres out, my father played Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Watch as a tape in the car and I was absolutely stunned by it. A friend got me into Pink Floyd a few weeks later. From then I started to check out and look for many things, also read stuff to get ideas... for example I "gave this jazz rock genre a go" like you said, within one year I had become this kind of person. Wink
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 04:35
I think it was taping a friend's copy of 'Selling England' at the age of 12 that did it.  I already liked Free and Deep Purple but this was something else.  Floodgates opened....
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 04:58

In 2007 i learnt of Progressive Powerfest festival in Cheltenham, Jon Oliva headlined it.  I attended it and as a result learnt of other progressive metal bands like Threshold (my number 2 prog metal band), Dreamscape and Haggard.  That was me now in the world of progressive metal as well.

I was there at ProgPower II as well! A great day out, although I probably preferred the previous year's event as Therion headlined.

I was 14 in winter 1982/3 when I borrowed Genesis: Three Sides Live on a cassette from an older friend.. around the same time, I remember Tommy Vance playing Grendel, 2112 and Supper's Ready among other things and thinking it was really rather good! 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 06:58
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I wrote about this on my profile bio.

Yup, this has been discussed too many timesSleepy

If really interested enough, read my bio Tongue
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 07:48

One thing that i was particually interested in was, was the first ever prog rock band that you all got into, was a result of you thinking "i wanna give this prog rock genre a go, what band from that field shall i give a chance to first?", or was it a case of, you never went purposely hunting, you just so happened to get into that band because someone or some thing put it in front of you and you just decided you liked it, and then the prog rock band hunting started after that?

Hi,

I think this complicates things a lot, but if we do not have the guts to know/understand the history of the prog music and where it came from, then the Beatles and Rolling Stones, way back in 1964 didn't mean crap! In fact, they revolutionized the music and radio, specifically, in many places, and I was in Brazil, to give you an idea.

As such, it was extremely progressive, although these days, most folks that post on PA have no idea what that means or have any kind of conception as to what that meant in the first place. It was VERY DIFFERENT then, and a couple of years later, in America, I got to see and hear BLONDE ON BLONDE tear up radio and AM disk jerks in Madison make fun of him and not playing anything he had ... until the following year the FM radio exploded and that album was a massive one on it!

This changes the story quite a bit ... since the only one you are wanting to hear about it the top ten in the late 60's and early 70's, who had become many of the bands that were played on FM radio in America, though their exposure in Europe was quite different, even when you read Dave Cousins book!

Essentially, "rock", prog or not, started when it went electric ... so seeing some of the listings here, it is really difficult to not see that they are merely voting for their favorite, because you were not going to exactly hear Uriah Heep on many stations on the FM dial ... though some did play it, and they made their money off the sales in America for a long time. That states that the person also heard a few other things that he/she is not mentioning, that might not be considered "prog rock" ... but I really doubt that UH was played next to AM dial crap ... so the comment and choice is weird to say the least. At least from the history I witnessed in Madison WI (to 1971) and then Southern California from then on. I was very well aware of the FM radio band as early as 1968 in Madison, which played things like Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, and many other bands that AM hit/radio would never touch. However, the FM radio dial in Santa Barbara and Southern California was far more advanced and creative than many other places, is my thought ... there were stations in LA (KNAC to name one!) that played IMPORTS a lot during the day, and many bands got a lot of attention from it, and some that were included a wee bit later, would have been Golden Earring, Nektar, Hawkwind, and many others which are now considered "prime" when it comes to the definition of "progressive" anything.

The only sad thing from your OP is that it lacks history ... leaving only one thing for folks to mention ... their favorite band ... heck I could tell you that I first heard AD2 in 1972 (Carnival in Babylon) but it wasn't until 3 months later when I got Wolf City ... that it really jumped my bones beautifully! But that is not to suggest there there was nothing else then ... I was already listening to Hawkwind, for example.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 07:52

And yeah, getting into a prog related band first might have been that first step for many people.  You get into Asia, you decide you like them, you find out that John Wetton, Carl Palmer, Geoff Downes and Steve Rowe were part of prog rock bands, and then you check them bands out.

Surely not me, the year was 1972, I was 15 years old, just began to dig music, and didn't even think of different genres.

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 08:00
I had been aware of progressive rock in the seventies, but only superficially. So I was a latecomer. In the spring of 1985 a friend lent me two albums of Triumvirat, Illusions On A Double Dimple and Old Loves Die Hard, and so T'rat was the first prog band I listened to intently, and loved, and to this day, as you folks know, they are my favorite. I first  heard Illusions and thought to myself, this is the real mcoy, and it sounded so wonderful and refreshing. What an experience! This initial Triumvirat exposure was not really purposeful, but just a suggestion from a friend, but it did start the continued love of the genre , as well.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 08:05
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Surely not me, the year was 1972, I was 15 years old, just began to dig music, and didn't even think of different genres.

Hi,

I don't think we could ... there were no "genres" per se at the time ... only an FM radio station that played more than most ever did because they were independent (or similar ... most were independently owned all the way to the end of the 70's!) and played a lot of different things. 

You would have been, but probably not realized, how linked up some of the stuff was that you were hearing. I did not really think of this link, until I saw the Hipgnosis Cereal Box album jacket on a Kevin Ayers album, that had the "ingredients" listed on the side, which were about 25 different bands, and some of them are still played today and appreciated a lot. The American bands did not mix as much, thus the NY, SF, South and Midwest scenes varied harshly and so different that it made it very difficult for them to "conquer" radio as well as they could have. But we can not say that Jimi, Janis, Jim and others did not burn our ears in great style ... I'm pretty sure you had, by then, already heard them which would change your answer some, though many folks don't consider The Doors progressive, and they helped write the book on it! Well, they, at least had an education (musical as well!), something that the folks that "invented" the progressive music definition for the masses, did not have ... and severely lacked!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>