Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 10:50
Rush - A Farewell to Kings.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 10:52
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Yes, I can remember.
Yes, I can remember too. It was The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, long before I realised it's the very first Symphonic Prog album about fifty years in the future. Smile

Days of Future Passed is NOT symphonic prog. There is nothing symphonic about this album. Why can't you read my post in latest David's post? Can't you guys get the facts straight?
London Festival Orchestra and members of Moody Blues were never in the recording studio together. This is nothing but bunch of pop-songs mixed with classical interludes played by symphonic orchestra.
The orchestra and the band never played together.
The classical pieces were arranged by Peter Knight, the orchestra's conductor. Moody Blues was never part of progressive rock movement.

No reason to be so authoritarian. Smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 11:14
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Yes, I can remember.
Yes, I can remember too. It was The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, long before I realised it's the very first Symphonic Prog album about fifty years in the future. Smile

Days of Future Passed is NOT symphonic prog. There is nothing symphonic about this album. Why can't you read my post in latest David's post? Can't you guys get the facts straight?
London Festival Orchestra and members of Moody Blues were never in the recording studio together. This is nothing but bunch of pop-songs mixed with classical interludes played by symphonic orchestra.
The classical pieces were arranged by Peter Knight, the orchestra's conductor. Moody Blues was never part of progressive rock movement.

No reason to be so authoritarian. Smile

Right on! Days of Future Passed sounds more symphonic to me than any album by Genesis or Yes, apart from Yes Symphonic Live, obviously. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 12:35

Right on! Days of Future Passed sounds more symphonic to me than any album by Genesis or Yes, apart from Yes Symphonic Live, obviously. Tongue

Hi,

I may have the quoting order incorrect. If so, my apologies.

It is one of the saddest facts that one album that is so "symphonic" in nature, is in essence another "fake" symphonic, however, with the advent of the media today and the ability of the studios to see that it was done and made into a fabulous album, deserves the thought of "symphonic" ... we don't take the SYMPHONIC away from bands, just because a keyboard player was added later, and was not, in essence, a part of the band ... studio musicians are a way of life and have been for many years, and before all rock music!

But, in general, that Moody Blues album was more symphonic than those mentioned by PP, with only one thought in my mind ... they ended up (or already were) all pop bands, and the fact that they mixed and matched and added this and that, was no big deal, specially as the studios got better and better.

History has a lot of music going back hundreds of years that was "finished" by someone else, and stuff was added that is thought to not exist at the time during the composer's time. Rock music, and specially the hypocritical music recording folks and companies, have been down right malicious and pathetic ... they did the commercial thing and then dumped the artists in the dump ... and some of them never recovered ... they were merely asked to sing this and get lost! Only to have one artist be grossly embarrassed on a national TV audience, and all of a sudden we are all throwing stones ... when we should have been throwing stones at the music business that took all the money they made from it and walked away hands clean!

What was done to that album was excellent. And it makes what CARAVAN went on to do with an orchestra even more valuable and important which included some original material added by the orchestra. But the condemnation of the whole thing is sad ... really sad ... no one complained when a synthesizer replaced a whole orchestra ... EVER ... but here we are upset ... about how the music industry made fools of us ... and we're defending them instead of the artist's idea and creativity.

The main thing that bothered me, was that the Moody Blues were not anything more than a simple pop band, and on top of it, their quasi new age stuff, all of a sudden was very plastic and melting! But I find it sad to hear that album trashed. I saw the Moodies live when they still had Mike Pinder with them, and it sounded excellent on his hands, although not quite sounding like a full orchestra ... but sadly, the band ended up being just another meaningless band with another album every other year!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 12:58
For me, the first progressive rock¹ album I heard and liked was Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon not long after it was released. A few days before I listened to it for the first time, my older brother was telling me about an album which had unusual music, and this piqued my interest. When he brought it home and played it, I actually had already heard "Us and Them" on the radio. Although I did like the album, I don't think I ever truly loved the album, although it certainly had an impact on me because it did eventually lead me to explore other Pink Floyd albums.

Before then, I did fall in love with the Argent song "Hold Your Head Up". I especially fell in love with the organ solo and was thus disappointed when the radio played the short version. However, it was not until the '90s that I eventually got the album containing the song (and the song itself).

The first progressive rock album I truly fell in love with was probably Supertramp - Crime Of The Century, or perhaps Split Enz - Mental Notes, which I heard around the same time.

I can't say when exactly, but it was during the mid-'70s that I would occasionally hear "21st Century Schizoid Man" played on the radio. This was a song I loved, but didn't know who it was or what album it was from until a few years later when I heard King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King for the first time. That was a wonderful moment. However, by this time I had already heard quite a few progressive rock albums.

I should remark that at this time, the term "progressive rock" was unknown to me, and the concept itself was something I was only vaguely aware of, and it was not until progressive rock was replaced on the radio by reggae that I became acutely aware of this type of music that I missed.

¹ Not Prog Related or Proto-Prog.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - January 20 2023 at 13:01
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 13:59
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I was there at ProgPower II as well! A great day out, although I probably preferred the previous year's event as Therion headlined.

Yeyyyyy nice one.    I know that Threshold did not play at that years Prog Powerfest, but the festival still introduced me to them, cause the festival gave us goodybags didnt they?, and in that bag were some promo CD's.   Thresholds song Slipstream which was on one of the promo CD's totally stood out from all the other songs.  That same year i checked out some more Threshold songs on their Myspace page, checked out their songs on their page on here, Progressive Archives, back when the site had flash players on where you could stream songs, and after that the rest was history.  16 years later and all their albums in my collection.   I also have 1 album by Dreamscape and 2 albums by Haggard.

Kamelot were the band that got the most crowd attendance that day, unfortunately i had to leave before Jon Oliva's performance was over, because i was just too tired to stay anymore :-(  .  Jon Oliva walked right past me in the entrance way of the building, looking like he had a painful foot.  Then later on on stage he explained that he fell off the tour bus and injured his foot, and that it was probably his brothers ghost that pushed him off lol.

That was also the last year that festival ran in the UK, so it was my first and last.

Edited by Greenmist - January 20 2023 at 14:05
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 14:42
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

Yeyyyyy nice one.    I know that Threshold did not play at that years Prog Powerfest, but the festival still introduced me to them, cause the festival gave us goodybags didnt they?, and in that bag were some promo CD's.   Thresholds song Slipstream which was on one of the promo CD's totally stood out from all the other songs.  That same year i checked out some more Threshold songs on their Myspace page, checked out their songs on their page on here, Progressive Archives, back when the site had flash players on where you could stream songs, and after that the rest was history.  16 years later and all their albums in my collection.   I also have 1 album by Dreamscape and 2 albums by Haggard.

Kamelot were the band that got the most crowd attendance that day, unfortunately i had to leave before Jon Oliva's performance was over, because i was just too tired to stay anymore :-(  .  Jon Oliva walked right past me in the entrance way of the building, looking like he had a painful foot.  Then later on on stage he explained that he fell off the tour bus and injured his foot, and that it was probably his brothers ghost that pushed him off lol.

That was also the last year that festival ran in the UK, so it was my first and last.

Thanks for your memories! I seem to recall PP I in 2006 had Pagan's Mind, Threshold and Therion as the last 3 acts, although none of the others before them were especially memorable for me.

At PP II in 2007, I think Kamelot were the biggest draw, when they released Ghost Opera. Communic, Dreamscape and Leaves Eyes were also good. It's a shame Haggard were late and only got to play a 25 minute set, iirc. 

It's a real shame they never got to do any others, but I believe the organisers ran into financial trouble organising PP III through a serious lack of ticket sales and could only pull Evergrey as they headline act.

Still, we both have the memories... Cool 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 14:52

Whatever I think of Days of Future Passed, the definition of Symphonic Prog is not a fact. Wink

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 22:05
Anyone who wants to separate the Moodies from the progressive genre just isn't living in reality. Progressive rock is a very wide umbrella folks. At the very least DOFP was proto-symph prog and the Moody Blues themselves were also proto-prog/ proto-symph prog. It's a very good album regardless of what you want to call it. Progarchives calls them crossover prog so I suppose they have the last word. They might be the first crossover prog band.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 20 2023 at 22:09
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2023 at 23:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Anyone who wants to separate the Moodies from the progressive genre just isn't living in reality. Progressive rock is a very wide umbrella folks. At the very least DOFP was proto-symph prog and the Moody Blues themselves were also proto-prog/ proto-symph prog. It's a very good album regardless of what you want to call it. Progarchives calls them crossover prog so I suppose they have the last word. They might be the first crossover prog band.

Very well said, Mike... Clap

Personally, I love DOFP and I think the expression 'Proto Symphonic Prog' does it justice. To our ears now, it probably sounds fairly tame, so it can be difficult to imagine just how ground breaking a concept it was in 1967. Record companies didn't want to touch it, because it didn't contain any tunes the kids could bop around to on the dance floor...   
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 03:43
Mine was Genesis when my sister borrowed a copy of Nursery Cryme from a friend of hers. The second LP I ever bought was Genesis Live which I think was a budget £1.99 at the time.
Harold B View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 09:05
yes. Yes. My brother had a tape of CTTE. Mind blowing.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 11:56

That can sound authoritarian to me, as well. Wink

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 12:47

Personally, I love DOFP and I think the expression 'Proto Symphonic Prog' does it justice. To our ears now, it probably sounds fairly tame, so it can be difficult to imagine just how ground breaking a concept it was in 1967. Record companies didn't want to touch it, because it didn't contain any tunes the kids could bop around to on the dance floor...   
I agree with both of your definitions:- Proto Symphonic Crossover Prog sounds like the ideal all-encompassing genre to describe The Magnificent Moodies and it could equally apply to Procol Harum too. Smile
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 13:23
That's a hard one. It depends what your definition of "like" is, and how loosely you want to define prog as.

I suppose I can say Pink Floyd was my first exposure to prog, through my father playing it in the car as a child, but nowadays I dislike them for a plethora of reasons (some of which is why I refuse to listen to them), and back then I wouldn't say I really like them either. I mean the Beatles had their proggy moments, and they were the guest band I really ever got into (normie moment I know). Kansas and Boston, on the other hand, are bands I've had on regular play since 2011 (when I was 13 y/o, btw) and I do like them, but I've always been rather a casual listener of them. Then in high school, I began listening to early Queen and Metallica. I would say they're the first bands that got me into the realm of prog. Of course there were other prog singles I liked them, too, such as Avenged Sevenfold's "Save Me" and Symphony X's "The End of Innocence" - those are probably the first two prog songs I truly, actively liked that were not hand-me-downs from my father.

Starting at university, one of my dormmates was heavily into Rush and he got me into Rush, too. Around this time I purchased a turntable, and one of my first albums was Avenged Sevenfold's "The Stage." Rush is how I actively knew about what prog was, and I'd say the A7X was my gateway into the genre. A few weeks later, I discovered Tool (who in retrospect I really wouldn't call "prog" tbh), which is what REALLY got me interested in the prog scene. Later that year I found Symphony X's album "V - the New Mythology Suite," and from there, there was no looking back.

So I'd say my answer is either Kansas, Queen/Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Rush, Tool, or Symphony X.

I guess the proper answer is Kansas. They were the first.

Edited by bardberic - January 21 2023 at 13:28
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 13:25

I agree with both of your definitions:- Proto Symphonic Crossover Prog sounds like the ideal all-encompassing genre to describe The Magnificent Moodies and it could equally apply to Procol Harum too. Smile

Big smile

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 16:30
Genesis : Foxtrot
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 23:41

The Crossover Prog movement
or
The Crossover Progressive Rock movement?  Big smile

Edited by David_D - January 22 2023 at 13:31
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 12:18

I agree with both of your definitions:- Proto Symphonic Crossover Prog sounds like the ideal all-encompassing genre to describe The Magnificent Moodies and it could equally apply to Procol Harum too.

Paul - It's settled then, Days of Future Passed is a proto-symphinic rock album. I can live with that. My first prog-rock band that I got into their music was Argent, and I am claiming that they are one of those true, real, full blown progressive rock bands. Each Argent's album has few compositions written by Rod Argent that can be considered as progressive rock. Russ Ballard's songs, not necessarily prog. That was probably in early 1972. My first "true" progressive rock band was Genesis after hearing for the first time "Nursery Cryme" few months later. I heard few other prog-rock albums before that, ITCOTCK, debut ELP, Yes, but I was too young to understand them.

Edited by enigmatic - January 22 2023 at 12:24
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 13:53

I agree with both of your definitions:- Proto Symphonic Crossover Prog sounds like the ideal all-encompassing genre to describe The Magnificent Moodies and it could equally apply to Procol Harum too.
Paul - It's settled then, Days of Future Passed is a proto-symphinic rock album. I can live with that.  

Proto-Symphonic sounds quite fine to me as well. Smile

Edited by David_D - January 22 2023 at 13:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>