Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you remember the first ever prog rock band you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 14:19
The first Progressive Rock band I heard and liked was King Crimson. I believe it was in 1971. The album was In The Wake Of Poseidon.....an album often compared to In The Court Of The Crimson King in a poor attempt to repeat it. I could never really see it that way obviously because Poseidon was my introduction to K.C. and not the Court and for me it was like hearing a new style of music . Their style in the early days was sinister and poetic. Their ballads were dramatically pretentious. At age 15 this is what I loved because it brought me escapism.

I went overboard collecting every Crimson album and their off spring. I bought Centipede Septober Energy solely on the fact that it featured ex Crimson members and that Bob Fripp helped produce it. I spent years searching for a bootleg recording of Abracadabra..an album that Fripp recorded with a witch communicating with the dead. A total preposterous notion. The way the album is described I'm not sure if I'd like it.

When Mort Garson recorded occult albums they were done well. The pieces were extremely creepy , but they were musical and contained melodies over top of creative ideas that are appealing to this day.

Islands, Lizard, and Court I bought immediately and I began listening to all 4 of the early albums. I was lost in their music and at age 15 it was overwhelming and impressionable like I stepped into another world not unlike the primrose path of mental cohesiveness...a dark new world where things do not seem like they should be...but then again..they never were.

Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 19:37
I think so. I think generally speaking I heard Pink Floyd on the radio or something, but I think the first prog band I fully got into was King Crimson.
D~B
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 15:19
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Pink Floyd.

I will qualify that about a year before that in 1971 I'd discovered the hard rock of Deep Purple mark II, and the proto-prog of DP mark I.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 04:26
Emerson, Lake and Palmer first of all.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
DarkLizzard View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkLizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2023 at 00:56
I remember now (but it wasn't Queensryche). As a teenager in the nineties I listened mostly to classical music and classic rock (inspired by Tour of Duty). A classmate let me hear music from Megadeth, Pantera, Queensryche and Dream Theater. Bit too metalic for my taste at the time. Although I did like Erotomania from DT's Awake. Then I had to go into hospital for toncil surgery and recovered for 2 weeks. First week I couldn't bare much more than listening music and that's when Awake really clicked. Few weeks after that, I discovered Savatage's Gutter Ballad. So, Dream Theater and Savatage are the first prog bands that got my love for prog going.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2023 at 06:53
I didn't know what Prog was at the time, but I remember loving "Shock The Monkey" from Peter Gabriel when I was in school, having not a clue as to his pedigree prior to that. Same with Asia.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2023 at 07:31
YES!!!
The Prog Corner
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2023 at 20:02
ITCOTCK.  At age 12, I was in Boy Scouts, and the older Scouts had a stereo set up at our summer camp in the lodge building.  I remember hearing ITCOTCK and the soundtrack to "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" whenever I was near the building.  I was hooked by the Mellotrons of ITCOTCK! (G,B & U soundtrack is also excellent!)
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2023 at 19:24
The first prog band I fell in love with was probably Yes. I remember loving "Tempus Fugit" and watching the music video when I was little.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234