12 [30.00%]
2 [5.00%]
12 [30.00%]
2 [5.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neo Prog
    Posted: January 22 2023 at 10:32
I pretty much doubled my Neo Prog "best of" list but it needed help because it was sad. Here's six of the fifteen I added. I now have a top 30, what!?
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 10:40
I Like Wendy best of all, but they're all good. Thumbs Up
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 10:56
Though I've never really considered it NeoProg (it's just too damned unique!), I like Posthumous Silence best of these albums.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 11:17
Like Wendy , I like 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 11:40
Marillion- Marbles
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 11:51
Had to vote for IQ- Subterranea
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 11:53
My choice from these is Pendragon - The Window Of Life  Smile  
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 12:46
IQ > Sylvan > Marillion/Pendragon > Citizen Cain

Sorry, I don't know 'Like Wendy'
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 12:47
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Though I've never really considered it NeoProg (it's just too damned unique!), I like Posthumous Silence best of these albums.

I've never considered Sylvan to be Neo full stop tbh... Ermm
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 13:07
No vote because I only know Sylvan - Posthumous Silence. Of the rather few Neo-Prog albums I have, the one I prefer the most is IQ - The Road Of Bones.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 13:08
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I've never considered Sylvan to be Neo full stop tbh... Ermm

They started as an IQ sounding band. That could be it. Confused
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 13:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

They started as an IQ sounding band. That could be it. Confused

Agreed... and when it comes to PA, a band tends to get pigeon-holed after their first couple of albums, then never move category no matter what they release! LOL

In fairness, like we've previously said about Subsignal, Sylvan are quite difficult to put in a genre box... 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 13:37
I went with the Sylvan album.  I've not heard that Citizen Cain album or Like Wendy.  I like the other three albums as well. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 14:13
Marbles all week long...and 2x on Sunday
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 14:14
I can’t vote in this. Four of the finest albums ever released by IQ, Pendragon, Marillion, and Sylvan and the latter two are about as “neo-prog” as Donald Trump’s left bollock.

If my life depended upon it, I would probably go for Posthumous Silence, an astounding work.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 16:45
IQ gets the nod
Welcome to the middle of the film.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 17:13
That's one of Pendragon's best albums.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 17:26
Somewhere but Yesterday is one of my favorite albums ever made. I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that it's neo-prog despite being "officially" labeled as symphonic. B) I mean, it has all the elements of a neo-prog record: the Genesis influence, the 90s keyboards etc.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 18:26
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I can’t vote in this. Four of the finest albums ever released by IQ, Pendragon, Marillion, and Sylvan and the latter two are about as “neo-prog” as Donald Trump’s left bollock.

If my life depended upon it, I would probably go for Posthumous Silence, an astounding work.

Starting with our Neo Prog expert and I have to agree with the Marbles and Posthumous Silence assessment. Which is why I left them off my original list. Same with Pendragon's later albums starting with Pure although IQ seems to get a pass putting out some heavy albums like Dark Matter and Frequency, The Road Of Bones yet no one complains that those albums are called Neo Prog. 
So a desperate attempt to get these two on my Neo and related Prog list. These two are related and my bad for not calling this poll as such. Neo-Prog and Related.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - January 22 2023 at 18:28

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 18:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I Like Wendy best of all, but they're all good. Thumbs Up

Thanks Paul and the other one I really like by this band is Rainchild which is a different beast, very atmospheric and melancholic related to his father's death hence the title.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>