Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Explain Why You Like Italian Prog Rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Explain Why You Like Italian Prog Rock?
    Posted: January 29 2023 at 17:55
So I really only enjoy some and not all Italian Progressive Rock. Some of it is even a guilty pleasure like Jumbo. 

I enjoyed PFM, Banco, and one-shots Museo Rosenbach(Zarathustra), and Alphatarus. I even enjoy Le Orme in a way with the spacey keyboards of Tony Pagliuca and the warm vocals of Aldo Tagliapietra. 

However, groups like Il Balleto di Bronzo and L'Uovo di Colombo turn me off from this music due to mainly how weak the songwriting can be on occasion(for me at least). Il Balleto di Bronzo sounds too harsh and also a lot of forgettable instrumental sections(except for the ending of Epilogo) and L'Uovo di Colombo just kinda sound typical. There are also parts where it just seems like they are rocking out over one chord.

PFM's La Carozza Di Hans is pretty good for the most part, but I always found the acoustic guitar solo rather lacking. Both my brother and I agree that we could play just as well as Franco Mussida did on that one track. Matter of fact Steve Howe did something like it better on Tales from Topographic Oceans(Giants Under The Sun).  

As a guitar player myself, the stuff the typical RPI musicians are playing does not really sound virtuosic and can often sound like noodles boiling. I found myself being able to play better. However, I also found myself to be rather influenced by some of this. 

The sad thing is that I once saw this type of music as magical but now I kind of see it as mediocre and see the RPI scene as mostly a novelty act for me. 

Although I am saying that there is a lot of noodling in Italian Prog music, there is still some really good lines in the music. Most notably: The last 8 minutes of the Zarathustra suite, the 6/8 melody trade-off in Banco's Metamorphosi, or especially the synthesizer interlude in PFM's Il Banchetto. 

Maybe in 3 months, RPI will completely wane in my head and then instead of Banco and PFM, Federico Fellini will instead become my favorite Italian artist. He even cast Francesco di Giacomo in several of his movies. 

Edited by SuperMetro - January 30 2023 at 06:10
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2023 at 21:51
Italian, German, Swedish, French, etc, it does not matter to me. If I like it, I’ll listen to it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 01:34
..because Per Un Amico may be the best music I've ever heard. Its warm and has a high level of technicality and composition. Not over reaching for the sake of it but enough mystery and complexity to keep the listener interested. For me RPI is founded on those early PFM albums but I enjoy Le Orme and Banco a lot plus some of the more 'obscure' acts. They know what they are about.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 01:44
with the risk of sounding like a jerk (I've been called worse LOL) I'll ask this of you: can you edit the thread title and take out the word "justify"? It feels/sounds aggressive and nobody has to justify anything. A word like "explain" is better or just ask "why do you like RPI? Semantics, i know, but still... Ermm
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 02:37
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

PFM's La Carozza Di Hans is pretty good for the most part, but I always found the acoustic guitar solo rather lacking. Both my brother and I agree that we could play just as well as Franco Mussida did on that one track. Matter of fact Steve Howe did something like it better on Tales from Topographic Oceans(Giants Under The Sun).  

As a guitar player myself, the stuff the typical RPI musicians are playing does not really sound virtuosic and can often sound like noodles boiling. I found myself being able to play better. However, I also found myself to be rather influenced by some of this.

Vim Fuego (of Bad News): I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.

Greenmist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 03:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

with the risk of sounding like a jerk (I've been called worse LOL) I'll ask this of you: can you edit the thread title and take out the word "justify"? It feels/sounds aggressive and nobody has to justify anything. A word like "explain" is better or just ask "why do you like RPI? Semantics, i know, but still... Ermm

I clicked on this thread just to see if someone would make a reply like this,  cause not too long ago i made a thread on here myself titled "how do you explain/justify to people why you like progressive rock?" and the main reception i got was "i dont justify to anybody why i like a certain type of music, and if they are someone that expects people to justify to them why they like a certain type of music, then they need to grow up", and other replies like "you cant justify to someone why you like progressive rock, you just do.  It be like trying to justify why you like pizza......you just do".
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 03:30
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I clicked on this thread just to see if someone would make a reply like this,  cause not too long ago i made a thread on here myself titled "how do you explain/justify to people why you like progressive rock?" and the main reception i got was "i don't justify to anybody why i like a certain type of music, and if they are someone that expects people to justify to them why they like a certain type of music, then they need to grow up", and other replies like "you cant justify to someone why you like progressive rock, you just do.  It be like trying to justify why you like pizza......you just do".

"Justify" implies that I have to defend myself, like I have to win an argument, prove I'm right or something, which it's not the case here. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 04:48
Sorry I can't take this seriously. Finding you're able to play something that somebody else has cretaed better than them is not an argument for or against anything. Music is an artform. RPI musicians or other progressive rockers didn't sign up on a contract to sound virtuosic all the time. The bands that do are often the least interesting ones. If anything I think supermetro should be the one to justify his approach to art.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 04:58
Justify this !

Edited by JD - January 30 2023 at 05:00
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 05:22
I adore Italian prog.  Modern Italian prog rivals the 70s RPI.  If you haven't listen to modern RPI...your missing out.  I recommend a PA search of RPI since 1990. 

Justify it?  The majority of RPI is sung in Italian.  The majority of Italian words end in a vowel.  Therefore, it's difficult not to rhyme.  The vowel assonance in RPI sounds pleasing to my ears.   

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 30 2023 at 05:24
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 05:38
The musicianship is usually top notch. 

Also, once in a while a little over-the-top theatric bombast is welcome (even needed).

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 05:58
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

Vim Fuego (of Bad News): I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.

I am talking about that part after the vocals where the guitar player solos for 2 minutes on the acoustics. I always found it to be a bit disappointing as I wished they came up with a different passage. That section sounds rather improvised while Stairway was written out(although the famous guitar solo was improvised). 
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 06:08

Sorry I can't take this seriously. Finding you're able to play something that somebody else has cretaed better than them is not an argument for or against anything. Music is an artform. RPI musicians or other progressive rockers didn't sign up on a contract to sound virtuosic all the time. The bands that do are often the least interesting ones. If anything I think supermetro should be the one to justify his approach to art.

I think Saperlipopette should be the one justifying his approach to what people think is art. He is the Jerk Store's No 1 Seller. 

Ok so my approach to art is that if the piece is able to touch you in a way then you can remember the piece for doing so. I do not believe there is good or bad music, cinema, literature, or anything. Some music that one conceives as crappy could also be conceived as moving to the next person. Art could be able to be involved in your life in a helpful stand point and could often show you the "rights and wrongs" of the world. I enjoy all types of music from rock, jazz, afrobeat, country, folk, and even exotica. Italian Prog Rock is just a small field when compared to the millions of other pieces of art in the world. So. Relax. 

I am not expecting them to play virtuosically all the time. Matter of fact I hate when a group plays so virtuosically that I do not really hear any music and just a bunch of showmanship. With a lot of Italiano, I hear mediocre production that kind of takes from the music. I also feel like I am listening to an album and nothing else. I still appreciate other forms of music however. 

"

Edited by SuperMetro - January 30 2023 at 06:28
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 06:20
It makes my ears happy.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 06:37

Hi,

Reminds me of the big thing done by Picasso in the city of Chicago ... and many people pass by it, and don't really discuss anything ... like it or don't is all you hear, and occasionally how much did they pay him, anyway?

I like a lot of different music and art, and Italian is not the only one ... sort of like asking why do you like Puccini, instead of Wagner ... it really makes no sense what the answer will be since the majority has no merit from a musical or artistic point of view.

I like the "symphonic" style in a lot of Italian bands, and how they went for it with a classical idea and style for a long time, until it all just became "songs". To me, the classical influence is very visible, and many times it is not just a jingle or a fun bit ... it's serious. Banco is the best example. That's well defined and formulated music in their first 3 albums, for sure!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 06:47
I love the musicianship and the expressive vocals. I also like the Italian language so this helps, too. 

I'll post a list of bands I enjoy a little bit later. 
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 07:27
Italian speaking is immediately associated with singing. Italy is a country that has always taken music very seriously, and has found a home in progressive rock. Music that is optimistic, elaborate, airy, deep, dramatic and technical.

The best RPI albums contain some of the most symphonic material I have ever heard in progressive rock. It's as if the musicians' veins were slides where the sounds of the wind instruments flow and fly over them.

Each of us is looking for something different in art, despite how much we like to find content of artistic and compositional quality regardless of its message. In my case, I am looking for music that leads me on the path of good and inspiration, and perhaps RPI is the most suitable sub-genre for that.
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 09:19

How come I love and adore much of Italian Progressive Rock? 

Well, I simply can't put into words the magical feelings and experience, I've had with it
and not least with these albums:

Alphataurus   Alphataurus  (1973)

Area  Crac!  (1975)

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso   Darwin!  (1972) 

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso   Io Sono Nato Libero  (1973) 

De De Lind   Io Non So Da Dove Vengo…  (1972)

Il Balletto di Bronzo   Ys  (1972)

Le Orme   Felona e Sorona  (1973)

Metamorfosi  Inferno  (1973)

Museo Rosenbach   Zarathustra   (1973)

Premiata Forneria Marconi   Per Un Amico  (1972)

Procession   Frontiera   (1972)

Quella Vecchia Locanda    Quella Vecchia Locanda  (1972)

Quella Vecchia Locanda    Il Tempo della Gioia  (1974)

Semiramis   Dedicato a Frazz  (1973)

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Edited by David_D - January 30 2023 at 09:52
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 12:00
Even if I'm Italian I'm not really a fan of RPI as a genre, but as somebody else has written, if I like something I don't care where it's from.
But one element that should not be missed is the lyrics. Usually Italian bands care a lot about the lyrics. A serious Italian band will never write anything like "cockataye taye toka" (I love Jon Anderson and YES despite the lyrics)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 12:14
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

A serious Italian band will never write anything like "cockataye taye toka"

But if one doesn't know Italian, then it all sounds like that.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>